996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 v. Ferrari Stradale

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 PM
Johnfromjersey is infamous around these parts
hard choice ...but since u already have the Gt2...its not about buying the better car its about enjoying the change..

Old 12-14-2005, 08:15 PM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
Originally posted by tdf360
Modern (360 and later) Ferraris are very reliable, certainly comparable to Porsche. Service costs may be a little higher, but not a deal-breaker. Scheduled services are at 5k, 15k, and 30k, and no engine-out is required for the belt change.

Depreciation is hard to predict, but I would bet the CS has the advantage compared to the GT2.

The CS is much more "electric" and involving to drive than the GT2, but the performance edge goes to the GT2. I personally would prefer the CS.

Gary
Although modern ferraris ARE more reliable than older ones, they have certainly not been more reliable for me than my porsches. And a little glitch will def. cost you. the CS is def. more visceral but for me at least, the power difference as well as feeling no satisfaction what so ever shifting the F1 would push me towards a GT2. I am actually considering getting a GT2 but am waiting until a good one comes my way.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:33 AM
trybaljedi is infamous around these parts
Re: GT2 v. Ferrari Stradale

I usually hate comparisons, but I love this comparison.

Completely distinct, yet consistently attract a fairly homogenous market. In terms of high-end enthusiast sportscars, I dont think there is a stronger overlap. Analogous to comparing a pinot noir to a pinot gris.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:52 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Modern (360 and later) Ferraris are very reliable, certainly comparable to Porsche.
Yeah after year, JD Power reports Porsche to be the most reliable automaker in the world. I love Ferraris, and yes, their reliability has been improving a lot in the last decade, but its no where close to Porsche.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Chordate
Yeah after year, JD Power reports Porsche to be the most reliable automaker in the world. I love Ferraris, and yes, their reliability has been improving a lot in the last decade, but its no where close to Porsche.
Maybe some other Ferrari owners will chime in...most of the 360 and 430 owners I know in the Bay Area report virtually no problems at all over the last 5 or 6 years. My 360 was more reliable than my wife's 325Ci.

Gary

Old 12-15-2005, 10:59 AM
tom03lightning is infamous around these parts
Maybe some other Ferrari owners will chime in...most of the 360 and 430 owners I know in the Bay Area report virtually no problems at all over the last 5 or 6 years. My 360 was more reliable than my wife's 325Ci.

Gary
A guy I used to work for (managed his race team of GT3 Cups) had a 2003 F360 F1, that car had to be towed to the dealer at least once every 2 months. There was ALWAYS something wrong with it. Constantly needed new software downloads. He now has a CS and a F430, hasn't had any problems with them though.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
The lack of torque would drive me crazy. Just mod your GT2 for more power and wait until you can get a 430 CS.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Bill S has a spectacular aura aboutBill S has a spectacular aura about
I have a Ruf Turbo R which is nearly as fast as a CGT. However, I drive my CS more often because it's more fun. Also, the CS acceleration is pretty good, unless you plan to race someone at 150+. The very fast steering, braking, throttle, and shifting response of the CS makes it nearly the same as the slower-responding GT2 on public streets, especially on the twisties. Unless you're going out on a crazy desert run, the CS and GT2 will stay with each other all day long.

Also, the high-speed stability of the CS is far better than the GT2. You can cruise at 160+ in the CS all day and feel like you're doing 100.

Last edited by Bill S; 12-15-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
tdf360 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by tom03lightning
A guy I used to work for (managed his race team of GT3 Cups) had a 2003 F360 F1, that car had to be towed to the dealer at least once every 2 months. There was ALWAYS something wrong with it. Constantly needed new software downloads. He now has a CS and a F430, hasn't had any problems with them though.
There's always an example like this...I can't remember which board, but currently there is a GT3 owner trying to lemon-law his car back to Porsche, and I seem to remember hearing some stories about RMS leaks in 996's...

Gary

Old 12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
The CS is an awesome car. Put your foot down once with LC off and in sport mode, you will get goosebumps when you hear the exhaust.

Ferrari's arent as bad as they used to be when it comes to reliablity, they are a little bit more expensive parts wise to a Porsche, but lets be honest we are all driving $100k+++ cars, is a few grand really going to break the bank?

Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 AM
TraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of lightTraderHal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Dabum
The CS is an awesome car. Put your foot down once with LC off and in sport mode, you will get goosebumps when you hear the exhaust.

Ferrari's arent as bad as they used to be when it comes to reliablity, they are a little bit more expensive parts wise to a Porsche, but lets be honest we are all driving $100k+++ cars, is a few grand really going to break the bank?

So true the cost differences are just rounding errors

Old 12-18-2005, 11:27 AM
KJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond reputeKJM3SMG has a reputation beyond repute
Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
VWH3RD is infamous around these parts
I say go for the CS! I love the Porsche but my CS is always the first choice when you want to enjoy the drive.

As for reliability, so far no problems 15k mles on my 360 and now 4k on my CS with no issues. The TT's I have owned have been in the shop a few times more than my F-Cars.
Now my S55 is in the shop every other week !!!

Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Wouldn't want to be making that choice.

A point no one has mentioned though. The GT2 has depreciated already (it can't go under 100k, can it?), whereas the CS is still hovering around 200k.
In a year or 2, the 430CS will be out, and the 360CS prices will drop, dramatically. Not sure the GT2 prices will drop further than now.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:11 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I love the GT2. That being said, I just Friday worked out a deal on a CS. Keeping my TT though. I might be more tempted by a GT2 if I did not have a TT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 v. Ferrari Stradale