996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrading a 2001 Turbo 8 speaker audio system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Thanks! Do you have any idea what the company is or how I can get replacement grill emblems? Mine are missing and look horrible.

The dash and rear speakers actually sound decent but the doors do nothing. I figure to start replacing those first with different 6" speakers. Those are just regular 6" speakers right? Not some dedicated sub-woofer speakers? Any 3-way or 2 way 6" should be ok?

I'l start with the radio first and should improve everything.

Also since stock AMP is 4 ohm, will running 2 ohm speakers in door be ok?
bose are about the only 2 ohm speakers out there. dont want those get 4 ohm speakers

Old 03-12-2016, 04:18 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
Understood. I looked at infinty speakers and all were 2 ohm. For some reason I assumed its the norm. I'll find 4 ohm. Thanks

Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Thanks! Do you have any idea what the company is or how I can get replacement grill emblems? Mine are missing and look horrible.

The dash and rear speakers actually sound decent but the doors do nothing. I figure to start replacing those first with different 6" speakers. Those are just regular 6" speakers right? Not some dedicated sub-woofer speakers? Any 3-way or 2 way 6" should be ok?

I'l start with the radio first and should improve everything.

Also since stock AMP is 4 ohm, will running 2 ohm speakers in door be ok?
Check you all, it's not stock. I believe it's out of a Boxter.

I did a search on the amplifier number, the last time I found the system supplier.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:03 PM
dcruz90 is infamous around these partsdcruz90 is infamous around these parts
xmaciek82x,

What you have is a Porsche Tequipment option called the "Carrera High Performance Audio System" or HPAS. I too have the same setup in my car and was pretty upset upon the initial discovery because I could not figure out what the hell happened to my car since it did not match anyone else's. There is a huge lack of information on this setup. After a few days of researching the Amplifier part# “ATP 400x” I found this Porsche Service Installation Bulletin after joining Renntech. Apparently this audio option was around $2k back in its time. Unfortunately the system is pretty outdated compared to today's standards.

I already had a Kenwood DNX892 installed when I bought the car but when my dash speakers started crackling as well, I figured the ampIifier was on its way out. So I'm putting in Hertz Hi-Energy HSK163L.5 3-Way Component Speakers in the dash and running a wire to power the new door woofer from the crossovers. I’m abandoning the 2nd door speaker (too much of a PITA to deal with keeping active and not needed if you ask me). I’m throwing in Hertz ECX100.5 Co-ax in the rear for fill. And hooking this all up to a Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel amp in the front (I may possibly install an 8” woofer option later on, but want to hear how it sounds first). You're going to need Nokia Hi-fi 996 dash speakers and rear speakers (both same sizes) to modify as youre current ones are non-modifiable without destroying. Try ebay, I picked up 2 sets for $40 each. You can PM me if you want for more information.

Hope this helps!

PS You're in for a struggle with the dash speaker removal. They are bulkier than normal because you have a aftermarket crossovers that were added.

Attached Files
Old 03-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
WOW, great information.

I wish I had the link I originally found showing the aftermarket company that offered this package. I wonder if it was a kit that could be ordered through Porsche at some point?

Later, Steve

Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
WOW, great information.

I wish I had the link I originally found showing the aftermarket company that offered this package. I wonder if it was a kit that could be ordered through Porsche at some point?

Later, Steve
It's funny I actually found your original thread when I was google searching 996 door speaker setups to figure out what was going on LOL. I was glad to see i wasn't the only guy out there with this setup, which lead me to find the service bulletin. I'm sure you can reorder using the part#'s provided in the bulletin but to me, if I'm going to replace the amp, then I'm not dealing with this 2ohm setup and trying to reinvent the wheel. Too many better options out there I think.

Big advantage to our setup is we have the ability to run 6 or 6-1/2" woofers without modifications.

-Dan

Old 03-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Sooooooooooo, does this mean I can't simply upgrade the amp and add a sub behind the back seats?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:06 PM
xmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant futurexmaciek82x has a brilliant future
dcruz90 THANK YOU!!!

So the fuse going from AMP directly to battery is OEM. When I saw an Inline AGU Fuse Holder, I right away thought after market.

So I realized the other day that 3 out of the 4 door speakers are blown... explains the lack of bass i was complaining about.

The door speakers are 4 Ohm, so I just ordered 3-way rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers that were on sale. I know there are much better speakers out there but I'm fine with something slightly better then what came with the car.

I do plan on keeping the rear and dash speakers. If you are replacing yours, can I buy one or two from you? My right passenger dash speaker crackles a little if the car is not running. I will relocate the speaker to rear and verify its faulty speaker and not amp channel causing the static/crackle.

The speaker grill was a little banged up and missing that Porsche emblem. I just finished removing the back speaker fabric and repainted the metal grill.

Since I wasn't able to locate the Porsche emblem, I got small Bose ones yo cover the screw holes... lol Better then having those screws exposed I guess.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
Sooooooooooo, does this mean I can't simply upgrade the amp and add a sub behind the back seats?
Well is everything functioning properly right now? You could always add a mono channel amp and a subwoofer.

If you're amp is failing or lost a channel like mine, I would be hesitant to replace the amp and continue running these speakers since they were designed on a 2ohm load with without some serious thought on revising the wiring layout so the amplifier doesn't get burnt up.

Everything nowadays as I understand runs on a 4ohm load and you can cut a channel in half to run 2ohm load but you're effectively halfing the sound. Basically in theory you could take a new 6 channel amp and have one channel to the serve two speakers each on the left and right side of the car. Problems you would run into are making sure the speakers can handle the power the amp will throw at it and trying to find a 6 channel amp that will fit nicely where the cd changer goes. Also you would still need to add a separate mono amplifier to run the sub anyway. This is partially why I opted to ditch the speakers and do my own layout.

Shoot me a PM if you got more questions. I can recommend some other options. Ive done a lot of research before deciding to try my setup.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:29 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Most interesting setup, factory no less.

Just some potential options for you guys - there's speaker repair kits that are readily available out there to re-cone or repair the surround. This may be a better option if you keep the stock amp as it was likely EQ'd for those specific speakers. The repair kits work very well.

As for the amp, if you have to replace it with an aftermarket, lots of amps are 2-ohm stable. The Alpine PDX-V9 5 mentioned above, that I also have, is 2-ohm stable and has worked brilliantly in my setup. Power, or more specifically, overpower is less the issue than too little power causing damaging distortion. That's unless you like to kill your hearing and are SPL chasing.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:00 PM
dcruz90 THANK YOU!!!

So the fuse going from AMP directly to battery is OEM. When I saw an Inline AGU Fuse Holder, I right away thought after market.

So I realized the other day that 3 out of the 4 door speakers are blown... explains the lack of bass i was complaining about.

The door speakers are 4 Ohm, so I just ordered 3-way rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers that were on sale. I know there are much better speakers out there but I'm fine with something slightly better then what came with the car.

I do plan on keeping the rear and dash speakers. If you are replacing yours, can I buy one or two from you? My right passenger dash speaker crackles a little if the car is not running. I will relocate the speaker to rear and verify its faulty speaker and not amp channel causing the static/crackle.

The speaker grill was a little banged up and missing that Porsche emblem. I just finished removing the back speaker fabric and repainted the metal grill.

Since I wasn't able to locate the Porsche emblem, I got small Bose ones yo cover the screw holes... lol Better then having those screws exposed I guess.
xmaciek82x,
Let me know how these work out, I believe the doors speakers are not meant to be full range speakers, just a woofer only. I agree with Pteck and think the speakers are eq'd for that amp setup.

If you need speakers I won't be using mine anymore so I'm open to letting these go. They all work fine, my amp just lost a channel.

Guys check out Car Audio Innovations website too for the 996 speaker dash rings and possible options for 2 way component dash setup and a woofer setup in the door. Or you could do a 3 way component setup like me and run a wire to the woofer speaker in the door. Basically if you want to upgrade the dash speakers you can mount a 3" or 4" mid and tweeter combo. Their website has installation diy instructions as well.

Lots of ways to do this. The Alpine is a solid little amp, very compact and fits the cd changer location perfectly. JBL makes a decent amp as well. I can't remember model number though.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:51 AM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
I recently did a DIY audio upgrade and ended up using 4 identical Focal speakers (109$/pair) for both the dash and door locations. These speakers are crystal clear and when coupled to a sub woofer this is all you need to light up your car, even a convertible such as my car.
I didn't even bother replacing the rear speakers, just disconnected them.

I used an epoxy to secure the speakers into the door area, since that seems to be the most challenging of both locations.
No need to buy any adapter rings in any location. Dremmel tool and epoxy were enough for me !

Overall, very rewarding project. Attached some pics.
I ended up using the Alpine amp (see picture). You can re-use the original speaker wires, just remove old amp and old speakers.
Agree that CD changer is the best location for aftermarket amp. I velcroed it in.

Focal Speakers :

Amazon.com: Focal Access 100CA1 SG 2-way 4" car speakers: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Focal Access 100CA1 SG 2-way 4" car speakers: Car Electronics

Anderson epoxy :

Amazon.com: A+B Epoxy 9908K Black A+B Rezolin Epoxy Kit, 14 oz. Container Size, Box Container Type: Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: A+B Epoxy 9908K Black A+B Rezolin Epoxy Kit, 14 oz. Container Size, Box Container Type: Industrial & Scientific

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737_edited-1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	534.2 KB
ID:	443837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735_edited-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	443838  
Attached Images      

Last edited by Yves; 03-26-2016 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Very cool setup. Looks really nice. Not something I'll be doing anytime soon. I have bunch of other expenses I want to tackle before doing a nice stereo setup like you have.

A small update for those who have a factory HPAS system like mine. When I replaced the four 6.5" speakers with 3way. The tweeter did not work. I noticed that hidden in the door was a external crossover. So I installed two 6.5" midbass woofers, and bypassed the crossovers two 3way speakers. So each door now has a midbass speaker going to the crossover and a 3way that is bypassing the crossover. Sounds much better then before.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Glad it's working for you.

Just for your reference, perhaps for your next upgrade... generally, an integral 3-way wouldn't be the preferred approach in a high end setup. Lots of attention in the HPAS setup was likely put towards imaging and EQ. Multiple drivers allow tailoring of the image - basically the presentation of sounds across the "stage of your dashboard" if you will. Close your eyes and critically listen, you can virtually place various vocals or instruments across the stage. Multiple drivers in the vocal range may sound good for its surround quality, but is generally not sought by audiophiles.

Sorry for my meandering post. Enjoy your system.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm going to bring my old thread from the dead... it is Halloween after all!

Lately I started thinking about this odd HPAS audio system that I have and what would be the best way to upgrade it. Like everyone already stated, the doors need to go down to 1 woofer setup only. No matter what speaker I put in the door, they just hit the grill and sound like cr@p. There just isn't enough clearance to run anything decent with this setup.

I'm down to 2 options:

Buy OEM left and right subs like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-...ZXRdtS&vxp=mtr

Remove those plastic double speaker housings and try to attach OEM speaker grills to the doors.

Go to upholstery shop and refinish the bottom part of the door to hide the cut out hole used for second unnecessary speaker.

Option 2
Remove the door speakers all together. Completely refinish and seal off all speaker openings on the door.
Upgrade dash and rear speakers and add OEM bose rear sub woofer box
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-...5Wi-GZ&vxp=mtr

Obviously head unit and amp will be upgraded no matter what option I go with. I just want decent sound, I don't care about having audiophile quality. I'm leaning towards Option 2 for simplicity and cost savings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrading a 2001 Turbo 8 speaker audio system