996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Input needed on an '03 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 02:47 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 350ZR
I have a 2003 911 Turbo Coupe w/Tiptronic on hold until I can drive down and check it out this weekend. Carfax shows 1 owner and a couple of repairs (two suspension, one electrical) courtesy of an aftermarket warranty, with 40K miles and price just under $40K.

I checked out an '02 Turbo (similar miles and history) at a local dealer a few months ago that was $7K less, but it was painfully obvious it had suspension issues (at a minimum). That reinforced the point that the "110 point inspection" doesn't mean squat.

Anything I should look for in particular? Pricing seems in line? Is Autocheck worth it? Any suggested Indy in Houston who could do a PPI this coming Saturday? The dealer offers EasyCare as well. Since this will be my DD, is it worth the extra cost? If so, any ideas on a reasonable cost for a couple of years of coverage? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!
The Turbo is just a used car. You have to look for everything and anything.

I recommend visiting the car cold with the A/C off -- you check this out later -- turn on the key and ensure the CEL comes on then goes off when you start the engine. Let the engine idle while you walk around the car but keep an ear on the engine. It will sound a bit gruff early on but when RPMs drop to near hot idle speed the engine will get smoother. (Primarily the DME stops dumping excess fuel into the engine to burn in the converters. This excess fuel accounts for the faint back firing you can hear in the exhaust.)

Have the seller take you on a 15 mile test ride. The route should give the driver a chance to demo the car like you intend to use it.

Back at the starting point you switch places and drive the car and cover the same route and drive the car the same way.

Be sure the Tip up shifts with light moderate and heavy throttle with no drama. It should downshift just as drama free too. Do a K turn to shift the Tip from Drive to Reverse and back and forth several times to ensure the Tip can keep up that it doesn't start clunking or having trouble switching gears. Do this before the Tip has had time to warm up and then again after the Tip has been up to temperature for a while.

Back at the starting point then give the car a thorough going over. Make sure everything works. Check the spoiler hydraulics for any leak sign. Sniff the engine compartment and around the radiator ducts for any anti-freeze odor.

If you still like the car then arrange for a PPI. This gets the car in the air so a careful inspection can be made for any leak sign. Every gasket, seal, o-ring, hose, hose connection, hydraulic line and fitting, every CV dust boot, gets checked.

Headlights are "normal". The original one on my 2003 looks just like the ones in the picture and has for a long time. (My car has over 142K miles on it.) But the passenger side which is "new", having been replaced around 125K miles ago looks much better, almost new. On a related note the driver side headlight (original headlight) turn signal bulb holder doesn't make good contact with the connector in the headlight and the signal doesn't blink sometimes. The passenger side and newer headlight has never manifested this behavior.

Based on my experience I have to offer up 2003 was a crummy year for Turbo headlights.

Even frosted though the headlight puts out plenty of light. Love Bi-Xenon lights!

Old 03-30-2016 | 04:39 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ronny-
Hah, just answered your post on reddit.

You will get alot better answers on this forum
Which sub deals with Porsche turbo?! Not found it

Old 03-30-2016 | 06:02 PM
kennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the roughkennyPride is a jewel in the rough
Don't let the HLs and center caps on the wheels discourage you. The paint, body, interior look good, so PPI on the mechanics, then you'll know. From what I see its worth taking a closer look. One of the best color combinations too. kenny

Old 03-31-2016 | 08:15 AM
|
350ZR is infamous around these parts
Again, I appreciate all of the input! Does anyone know of a shop close to Momentum that will do PPI's on a Saturday (late morning)?

Old 03-31-2016 | 09:34 AM
whtrabt is infamous around these parts
Is it just me or does the drivers side rear quarter color look off? Or is that just the way the wide *** makes the grey look?

Old 03-31-2016 | 02:52 PM
Gixxed_Spyder is infamous around these parts
Why is the rear spoiler in the up position? Have the dealer test the up/down function repeatedly while you watch and listen to it to see if its stuck or raises 1 side up more than another while traveling. I had to replace mine, ~$2k fix.

Old 03-31-2016 | 03:31 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^ good advice. any dealer leaving it "up" for "bling" purposes is really only displaying how little they know about the proper mechanics of the car. never leave that thing up manually longer than a car wash lol

Old 04-01-2016 | 12:27 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
PPI needed for sure!

Lights do look a little rough but if it lived in a sunny climate and parked in the sun at work, not totally impossible. I would check for moisture inside the lights though; those look really yellow. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the paint as well. If the lights are in fact sun damaged, the clearcoat could be on the verge of peeling.

Old 04-01-2016 | 04:32 PM
Never Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of lightNever Enough is a glorious beacon of light
That is a coincidence that is just too funny...

I had spoke with Momentum several times about that exact car!

I called around to a few other Porsche dealers/independents and several people recommended using Koby Motors for a PPI. I called Koby and was quoted $400 for the PPI, I think the owners name is Jose...(?) He said they do PPIs for Momentum frequently, and are close by.

http://www.kobymotors.com/

Jennifer Sullivan of Momentum was not helpful at all, and would not even return my calls when I was clear I was ready to buy a car, but was not willing to buy the car without a PPI. I offered to put a deposit on the car contingent on a clean PPI, and as incredible and absurd as it may sound, Jennifer Sullivan wanted me to put a "non-refundable" $2500 deposit on the car to have a PPI.

Just FYI I will tell you I also had a PPI done on a similar mileage and similar year 996tt tiptronic at an apparently respected German Auto Haus specialty used car dealer in Naples FL, and found it had a leaking transmission seal the dealer had tried to hide.

I learned there is a history of this problem with the tiptronic S in these cars, and it is a very expensive problem.

Porsche has no replacement seals available, and they can only recommend a new transmission as a repair!

The transmission was made by Mercedes so there are shops that can rebuild it, but it is a very pricey problem to repair, so I would be certain to have a PPI with a close inspection of the tranny.

Hope this help, and best of luck, Dave

Old 04-02-2016 | 07:22 AM
Jdhogg is infamous around these parts
Yes, many of the trans parts are just MB 722.6 trans parts. In fact, a tech at a Porsche dealer advised me to buy seals for mine from MB using their diagrams.

IPT Trans also has had some gaskets reproduced that are specific to the Porsche and unavailable.

Old 04-02-2016 | 11:04 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
lol @ "non-refundable" deposit. back to "salesperson" school hah!