996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Input needed on an '03 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 06:35 AM
|
350ZR is infamous around these parts
Input needed on an '03 Turbo

I have a 2003 911 Turbo Coupe w/Tiptronic on hold until I can drive down and check it out this weekend. Carfax shows 1 owner and a couple of repairs (two suspension, one electrical) courtesy of an aftermarket warranty, with 40K miles and price just under $40K.

I checked out an '02 Turbo (similar miles and history) at a local dealer a few months ago that was $7K less, but it was painfully obvious it had suspension issues (at a minimum). That reinforced the point that the "110 point inspection" doesn't mean squat.

Anything I should look for in particular? Pricing seems in line? Is Autocheck worth it? Any suggested Indy in Houston who could do a PPI this coming Saturday? The dealer offers EasyCare as well. Since this will be my DD, is it worth the extra cost? If so, any ideas on a reasonable cost for a couple of years of coverage? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2016 | 07:30 AM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Link to car? Good price if car checks out. Don't buy without a thorough non affiliated shop doing a ppi.

Old 03-30-2016 | 07:53 AM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Hah, just answered your post on reddit.

You will get alot better answers on this forum

Old 03-30-2016 | 08:07 AM
|
Originally Posted by Atrox
Link to car? Good price if car checks out. Don't buy without a thorough non affiliated shop doing a ppi.
http://www.porschewest.com/used/Pors...ricepopup=true

Yeah, I've been looking around to find a good (and reasonably priced) shop in Houston that could do a PPI for me.

Old 03-30-2016 | 08:08 AM
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ronny-
Hah, just answered your post on reddit.

You will get alot better answers on this forum
Just saw it, thanks.

Old 03-30-2016 | 09:14 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Just my thoughts as I have an 03 manual. Did they come with turbo script on center caps. Most everyone I've seen that are OE have porsche crest . Makes me want to make sure that you have the turbo hollow cast twist wheels and not the heavier solid or even after market replicas. Head lights seem pretty beat up and I've always associated that with heavily weathered cars or sometimes cars that have gone through many automated car washes. Thats all I can tell from photos. I think that this is a 35K car personally

Old 03-30-2016 | 09:24 AM
|
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rxbike
Just my thoughts as I have an 03 manual. Did they come with turbo script on center caps. Most everyone I've seen that are OE have porsche crest . Makes me want to make sure that you have the turbo hollow cast twist wheels and not the heavier solid or even after market replicas. Head lights seem pretty beat up and I've always associated that with heavily weathered cars or sometimes cars that have gone through many automated car washes. Thats all I can tell from photos. I think that this is a 35K car personally
Headlights seemed weathered to me as well, I'd just assumed it was due to age. The center cap call out is interesting, particularly given the two warranty claims for suspension work. Certainly more food for thought, thanks!

Old 03-30-2016 | 10:22 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Frank Lee
Euroworld Motorsports
1298 N. Post Oak Rd
Houston, TX 77055
713-682- EURO (3876)

They can get you a PPI, tried to pm you but you have it turned off.

Old 03-30-2016 | 10:54 AM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
My 2001 hollow spokes came with turbo scirpt caps so I dont think that it is any indicator of being aftermarket.

Old 03-30-2016 | 11:06 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
those headlights do look really rough, perhaps it's the photography, but 40K mile headlights on a car that should be living indoors ought to look more like this:

Something to think about as it's not necessarily a cheap fix.

Old 03-30-2016 | 11:44 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Headlights are about a 200 bucks fix if they are that bad from a quailty detail shop.

Old 03-30-2016 | 12:03 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by su_maverick
My 2001 hollow spokes came with turbo scirpt caps so I dont think that it is any indicator of being aftermarket.
Yeah I wasn't sure about the caps but can't find the options for caps for 2003 on my build list. The only way to know if its hollow spoke is to pull the info from the rear of the wheel
I think this is correct

8 - 996.362.136.04
11 - 996.362.142.03
11 - 996.362.142.11

Old 03-30-2016 | 12:19 PM
hdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to beholdhdp951s is a splendid one to behold
Feel the back side of the spokes. Hollow spokes will be smooth, while the solid spokes will have two recessed ridges along the length of the spoke.

Old 03-30-2016 | 12:24 PM
|
Appreciate all of the input so far, keep it coming.

Old 03-30-2016 | 12:28 PM
HAHA I know its minor but a little of curb rash on passenger wheel and not sure if the turbo script cap on the wheel is dirty, reflection from photo or sometime of oil/grease stain on it .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Input needed on an '03 Turbo