996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Crazy ZO6 crash!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
The 930 was a pretty easy car to wreck in a turn. Seemed like we saw a lot of TTs and GT2s balled up back in 2001 and 2002.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by DBS996
How is it even possible to do 145 on lake shore drive in anything other than a bike?
Porsche speedos are optimistic- he was prolly doin' like fifty.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:13 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
That wreck was not far from my house, and AFAIK, the road wasn't wet.

Fast cars can get away from the driver- period.

Quartermile- are these statements in fact as reported from your friends at Team Corvette?

Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Vitellius is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by quartermile
Brembos
The Corvette actually betters this, 6 piston monoblock calipers.

Hmmm what other manufactures offer monoblocks calipers?

precision race motors and Le Mans endurance in our daily driver … tried, tested and true.
That’s two checks for the Corvette.

“As you well know the Vette primary target customer base is the 50 year old country boy in a state of delinquent mid life crisis. Forget the 1,800cc, 1000hp four cylinder twin turbo prototype you guys have in the lab. The Vette guy needs to feel toque in his gut following a 32Oz steak, and is has to sound like good’ol American iron.
It seem that this “country boy” demographic which prefers torque in the cars is also the target of every Mercedes AMG, the Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini, Pagani Zonda etc…

Anyways who builds these high performance 4-cylinder engines as I am not aware of any. From your sig you don’t own any such car either.

That 4 banger motor is for *****’s and plus Ferrari has the V8.
No 4-cylinder would ever make 505 hp on pump gas, be reliable with that kind of power, get acceptable fuel economy or have a usable powerband.

You know the mid-engine prototype failed the focus group
Please show us this mid-engine prototype…

and Vettes need to maintain the classic “*****” shape,
Hmmm that wouldn’t be a Freudian slip would it???

Are you subconsciously trying to tell us something? It’s a new age, it’s okay to come out of the closet, we’ll still accept you.

Mod the Caddy V8 some more and give it a fancy new name.
Caddy V8???

Also lift the power steering and brakes of the CTS.
Corvette and CTS do not share either of these.

Don’t worry about overheating problems and race car feel
Can you substantiate this overheating issue or are you yet again just pulling this out of your *** as with everything you post? Also have you driven the ZO6 to comment on its handling?

most GM customers are too dumb to tell the difference and accustomed to numb steering, dull brakes and quality issues.
Interestingly JD Power called the Corvette the most appealing premium sports car.

Optimize for highway speeds cuz we have big roads in America (the only feasible geographic) and ain’t no tight courses or traffic out in the country.
Yup, juts like the Nurburgring.

Make it track half a foot wider than 996 (looks good on paper) big imported rubber, stiff suspension (leaf springs+heavy roll bars) to blow away the press at the skid pad. What are the chances somebody is gonna drive this thing fast in the rain on bumpy roads (likely cause of both crashes above.)
Thats actually 0.5 inch wider.

If you don't know how to drive a high powered sportscar with a stiff suspension in the rain perhaps you should stick to your Cayanne.

Judging from your name I guees it fits anyways

Dump the high speed aerodynamic stabilizer (AKA wing) cuz it screws up the quarter trap speed and make it look like a ricer.
So optimizing down force without the use of an obnoxious wing through extensive wind tunnel testing is a bad thing? Tell that to Ferrari: Enzo, F430 etc.

BTW here is something which will definitely catch your fancy:

Toss the idea of a Porsche monocoque chassis with metal panels and keep the steel ladder frame construction (truck chassis to save tooling cost)
“monocoque” is just a fancy name for a unibody construction, the same design which has been used on the cheapest of ecnonomy cars for decades. You have obviously shown that their marketing has fooled you.

Since you don’t know the difference, this is a ladderframe:

This is not a ladderframe:

BTW the type of structure used in the Corvette is actually more expensive and structurally sounder than a unibody.

Use a loud exhaust to cover the squeaks, rattles and cracking sounds (likely with the C6Z Aluminum frame).
“Likely” any quantitative date to back that up? I thought not.

As a matter of fact both Al and Mg have superior strength to weight ratios than steel.

Crash protection (in the form of crumble zones) and roll protection is of no concern.
I suppose you come to that conclusion based on your distinguished engineering background

Just what do you suppose that halo bar in the picture above is for?

Look how many country boys we lost in the war and nobody cares about casualties.
This comment is simply beyond reproach. Respect for the over 2000 who have died in Iraq is not something which has occured to you? Yes of course, they were just “country boys” who gives a f*ck

We’ll cheat if we have to, it’s great marketing. Some guys are suckers for rings times and that means more sales.”
You’ve been called out on this several times already you’re as full of it as this supposed cheating you invented.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
All this bickering is getting boring. Hopefully the driver walked away. It looks like the driver's compartment held up pretty well.

Hot cars, much like hot chicks come in all flavors, shapes and sizes. There is something for every mood, taste etc...

Just look at RUFMDs collection and you can see what I mean.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 12-23-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Vitellius
Anyways who builds these high performance 4-cylinder engines as I am not aware of any. From your sig you don’t own any such car either.

No 4-cylinder would ever make 505 hp on pump gas, be reliable with that kind of power, get acceptable fuel economy or have a usable powerband.
His post was actually humorous in nature, but oh well.

A number of 4cyls make over 505 whp on pump gas, are reliable and get good fuel mileage. They're not stock, but that wasn't one of the requirements. There's a subaru impreza in russia that makes 900awhp. There's an evo in another thread on 6speed that makes about 880awhp.

And we haven't even gotten to 6cyls. There's a skyline in AUS making 1400 awhp. That's 4 cylinders less than Shank's viper for the same power.

Honda (yes, rice) makes some of the most technologically advanced engines in the world, followed by Toyota. It doesn't take a lot of brains to get horsepower out of a big V8. Don't count something out because it's only a 4banger.

Last edited by Gramicci101; 12-23-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Gramicci101
A number of 4cyls make over 505 whp on pump gas, are reliable and get good fuel mileage.
Don't beleive everthing the shops claim. Of course they all claim stock reliability and drivability.

Such small displacement engines have serious detonation issues at those kind of power levels. With pump gas they have to run extremely rich to avoid detonation which hurt emissions, fuel economy and drivability.

They're not stock, but that wasn't one of the requirements.
The topic is about a procution car, so I would say stock is very important.

There's a subaru impreza in russia that makes 900awhp. There's an evo in another thread on 6speed that makes about 880awhp.
Not pump gas and they won't last longer than a few dyno runs.

It is no mazing feat to do that on a race car which only has to last a few hours at most before it is rebuilt. Something entirely different to do when it has to run on pump gas, meet emission standards, production reliablility, drivability etc.

Honda (yes, rice) makes some of the most technologically advanced engines in the world, followed by Toyota.
Specifically how?

It doesn't take a lot of brains to get horsepower out of a big V8.
Again not when one cas to contend with the requirements of a production car.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
When the Honda S2000 came out, it was a naturally aspirated 2.0l engine making 240 hp. At that time, it made the most hp per liter of any stock car in the world. I'm pretty sure the Veyron has topped it, but the Veyron has 4 turbos to play with.

As far as big V8 vs little 4cyls and technology, I could take a 77 F350, rebuld its engine and reasonably expect to produce 400+ hp. I've never seen the inside of an engine in anything except pictures. Bigger pistons mean more air and fuel, means more power. I could probably build one from scratch if I had to, and someone made me the parts. The underlying concepts are very basic.

You could also say that the concepts behind variable valve timing and turbochargers are basic too, and they are, but they're huge leaps ahead of your basic engine. Honda had VTEC long before anyone else could reasonably make it work.

As far as power and reliability on pump gas, the two examples I posted were pretty extreme. However, assuming those numbers were on race gas, you could detune that Evo just a bit, say, down to 750 or even 700 hp, and run it on pump gas all day long with no problems. The 4G63 is an incredibly sturdy engine. Or, if that's not to your taste, an SR20DETT out of a 240SX can be taken above 500hp quite easily as well. Subaru blocks aren't quite as strong, but an EJ205 will get you into the 500+ range and be quite safe on pump gas as well.

A friend of mine in LA currently has a newer model STi block in his impreza, and is using his "street tune" for CA 91 octane, pushing about 450hp.

Manufacturers will never come out with a 4cyl car with this kind of power for liability and safety reasons. Some kid would kill himself or blow up the car because he was stupid, lawsuits would ensue, and on and on. Just because they won't, doesn't mean they can't, though.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:24 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
That post was meant as humor but the data actually came from Porsche internal website not my friends at GM. About the "***** shape" car ... not a Freudian slip. I believe the original one was the Jaguar E-Type. Quick .. which car is this GT2 or Z06:

Old 12-23-2005, 07:29 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Now if there is a peformance parameter to be uptight about is this (Ricer vs. GM):

Old 12-23-2005, 07:40 PM
What car/company/whatever is the pink line?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:45 PM
When the Honda S2000 came out, it was a naturally aspirated 2.0l engine making 240 hp. At that time, it made the most hp per liter of any stock car in the world. I'm pretty sure the Veyron has topped it, but the Veyron has 4 turbos to play with.
The hoopla about the S2K was that it was a naturally aspirated engine with 120 hp/L. The Veyron makes 125 hp/L (8 L engine) but it is, as you mentioned force fed, other production force fed cars have been higher.

As far as power and reliability on pump gas, the two examples I posted were pretty extreme. However, assuming those numbers were on race gas, you could detune that Evo just a bit, say, down to 750 or even 700 hp, and run it on pump gas all day long with no problems.
Not even 750 or 700 with an engine that is only 2L, even 500 is optimistic on pump gas.

The 4G63 is an incredibly sturdy engine.
Detonation will destroy any engine no matter how sturdy.

Or, if that's not to your taste, an SR20DETT out of a 240SX can be taken above 500hp quite easily as well.
At a local car hangout there is a guy with a 240SX “drift” car, 2.4L turbo Jap motor, about 400hp. At that power he already has problems with 91 octane. I can’t imagine 500hp on pump gas.

Subaru blocks aren't quite as strong, but an EJ205 will get you into the 500+ range and be quite safe on pump gas as well.
Block strength is not the issue, the STi is also 2.5L which is a lot bigger than 2.0L

Manufacturers will never come out with a 4cyl car with this kind of power for liability and safety reasons. Some kid would kill himself or blow up the car because he was stupid, lawsuits would ensue, and on and on. Just because they won't, doesn't mean they can't, though.
Liability?

Sorry but this is absurd, power is power no matter what the engine. A 300 hp 2.5 L STi, 300 hp Mustang or 350Z. None of these engines put the operator at any greater risk than the other.

You will never see such an engine because it has to be reliable and meet government regulations.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:45 PM
That's UNFORTUNATELY Toyota Motors (TM.) They will officially replace GM as No.1 car company. I have said this before ... GM has picked the wrong fight. They can NEVER beat out the Germans. Lexus has made some progress but it is still a Toyota.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 PM
That post was meant as humor but the data actually came from Porsche internal website not my friends at GM.
"data"

Now thats funny!

Old 12-23-2005, 07:54 PM
I have said this before ... GM has picked the wrong fight. They can NEVER beat out the Germans.
I would say they have years ago.

Lexus has made some progress but it is still a Toyota.
So why do Lexus and just recently Cadillac both outsell BMW and Mercedes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crazy ZO6 crash!