996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

V1 remote display is it worth? Also, the factory tint at top of the front window..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:46 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
Old 11-27-2003, 09:05 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Poursha
No modification to headliner. A few inches to the right of the rear view mirror, put your fingers between the headliner support and the roof and tug down--you'll hear a clip un-clip. Pulling down on the headliner support after unclipped, you finesse the clip between the roof and headliner support. Then re-clip the headliner support. I put a few layers of felt (1/2" total) between the detector and the headliner, which put some tension on the clip and made it nice and steady, and had the side benefit of pushing down the end of the detector facing you, so it's level.
Just did as you suggested, thanks alot!! It worked out really well and looks much cleaner. It kind of hangs though, so I am going to use some felt as you suggest. I went to the V1 link above which talks about how laser is effected by the tint, but, still haven't gotten an answer as to if the tint on front windshield effects performance of radar. Someone must know something, yes or no??

Old 11-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by LSM
Just did as you suggested, thanks alot!! It worked out really well and looks much cleaner. It kind of hangs though, so I am going to use some felt as you suggest.
Now that you mention it, the installer also messed around with the shape of the clip--I believe he compressed it a bit so it would fit more snugly.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:27 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Poursha
Now that you mention it, the installer also messed around with the shape of the clip--I believe he compressed it a bit so it would fit more snugly.
Thanks for the info, I am going to mess with it a little tonight to try and get it to fit better.

Lou

Old 11-29-2003, 11:36 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Lou - please post pics when you're done...I have been meaning to get a V1 forever now and its time to 'just do it'

Old 11-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Here's a few pics of my V1.

From drivers' seat:

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2003, 12:07 PM
remote display

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2003, 12:08 PM
tucked just under passenger visor

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2003, 12:09 PM
view from passenger door--can see clip between headliner support and roof

Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Can't see it from outside (no suction cup marks on windshield) unless you look really hard (to left of rear view mirror)

Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2003, 01:14 AM
LSM
Poursha,

That is exactly where I put mine, per your suggestion. Problem is, I will have to take it back to my installer to fit it more snuggly. Kinda moves around now because I am yet to use the felt you suggested or crimp the clip. Thanks again, you have been a ton of help

Lou

Old 11-30-2003, 07:11 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
if u mount the main unit in the dash or below the windshield, it will affect performance. From my understanding, it doesn't work that well thru metal. I mounted my main unit on the rollbar, snuck the wires on top of the roll bar by the headliner. YOu can not see the wires at all... Will post pics later today.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ShankGT2
if u mount the main unit in the dash or below the windshield, it will affect performance. From my understanding, it doesn't work that well thru metal.
I agree that the detector will not work if the radar or laser is blocked by metal. The front antenna on mine has a clear line of site (although through the tinted part of the windshield), and the rear facing antenna is pointed downward slightly, so it has a clear line of sight through the rear window. What metal are you referring to?

Old 11-30-2003, 12:09 PM
LSM
Shank,

I was wondering the same thing as Poursha above. Does the tint band on the front windshield affect radar performance or are you referring to mounting the V1 main unit in the bumper or some other hidden place? Poursha has his main unit high on the windwhield as you can see from above pics, this is then routed to his remote unit. So the main unit is not concealed. Thanks

Lou