996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

V1 remote display is it worth? Also, the factory tint at top of the front window..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:33 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
V1 remote display is it worth? Also, the factory tint at top of the front window..

does it negatively effect the radar performance? I heard it is not metallic, any confirmation of that? Should I just mount the main unit right below the factory tint strip on the front windshield?

I have the V1, I am having it custom installed so that all the wires are hidden. I am wondering, it the remote display worth getting? Apparently, you cannot control any of the "modes" or volume from the display, only mute, so, what do you guys think?

Also, where are you mounting the remote display?
-Lou

Last edited by LSM; 11-25-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
The remote is nice so that people behind you cannot see the red display on the unit mounted on the winshield. If your going through the trouble to hide the wires, you might as well get the remote display and mount it somewhere on the instrument panel. The main unit does not have a display off function. I can't understand for the life of me why they did not build that option into the main unit other than the fact that you would not be able to tell which direction the radar is coming from if there is no display on ...

Old 11-25-2003, 02:33 PM
2kuhl is infamous around these parts
I mount my V1 behind the tint and have seen no degredation in sensitivity compared to my other cars. I mounted the remote display in the dash shelf. Velcro to underside of shelf and drill a hole in the back of insert to run the wire. Plenty of links on this in archives.

Old 11-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Poursha is infamous around these parts
The remote display is definitely the way to go. I had it mounted on top of the steering wheel housing--it fits right under the tach. It has a mute button, plus all the lights, so you just move your eyes a bit below the windshield when you hear an alarm. And you can change between modes using the mute button (see instruction manual). Once you set the 2 volume levels on the detector, you'll probably never touch them again.

I installed the detector using the visor mount/spring clip, and inserted the clip between the headliner and the roof (so there are no suction cup marks on the windshield), just to the right of the rear view mirror, so it doesn't interfere with the movement of the drivers side visor.

Last edited by Poursha; 11-25-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:18 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I am thinking of getting the V1 soon and installing the remote display in the lower switch panel aka batwing (where the seat heater switches go)...Not too sure if that is too far out of sight or not...

Old 11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for all the insight, looks like I will be getting the remote display. What I do not quite get though is, I called V1 and they said you cannot control the computer mode with the remote display. Nor can you control volume, just simply mute or unmute. Why on earth did they not incorporate a switch into the remote display to toggle between all bogeys, logic, advanced logic, etc. Seems almost pointless.

Back to the factory tint, does it interfere with performance. I want to get a definative answer as no one can confirm one way or another if that tint strip is mettalic or not.

Where are you guys mounting these? I do not want to see that monstrosity on my windshield.

Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by LSM
Thanks for all the insight, looks like I will be getting the remote display. What I do not quite get though is, I called V1 and they said you cannot control the computer mode with the remote display. Nor can you control volume, just simply mute or unmute. Why on earth did they not incorporate a switch into the remote display to toggle between all bogeys, logic, advanced logic, etc. Seems almost pointless.

Back to the factory tint, does it interfere with performance. I want to get a definative answer as no one can confirm one way or another if that tint strip is mettalic or not.

Where are you guys mounting these? I do not want to see that monstrosity on my windshield.

Lou
The remote display does allow you to switch between the 3 computer modes--you press & hold the mute button for 2 seconds. As I mentioned in my post above, once you set the 2 volume levels (normal & mute) on the detector, you'll probably never touch them again.

I installed the detector using the visor mount/spring clip, and inserted the clip between the headliner and the roof (so there are no suction cup marks on the windshield), just to the right of the rear view mirror, so it doesn't interfere with the movement of the drivers side visor. You can't see it from the outside unless you're looking for it and get very close.

Old 11-26-2003, 09:42 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Poursha
The remote display does allow you to switch between the 3 computer modes--you press & hold the mute button for 2 seconds. As I mentioned in my post above, once you set the 2 volume levels (normal & mute) on the detector, you'll probably never touch them again.

I installed the detector using the visor mount/spring clip, and inserted the clip between the headliner and the roof (so there are no suction cup marks on the windshield), just to the right of the rear view mirror, so it doesn't interfere with the movement of the drivers side visor. You can't see it from the outside unless you're looking for it and get very close.

Yeah, I read the above post, that's why I posted my follow-up, I called V1 and they "claimed" that you could not control the programs. I am glad you cleared that up. Thanks

Did you cut holes in your headliner to get the clip in? With it being that high, obviously it does still detect, but, I wonder if between the tint strip and the metal roof, it effects performance.

-Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 10:58 AM
the blue tint is NOT metallic...

Old 11-26-2003, 11:01 AM
LSM
Originally posted by msindi
the blue tint is NOT metallic...
Great, how do you know?

-Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 01:07 PM
My local shop asked his glass guy....

Old 11-26-2003, 01:25 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
The non-metallic blue tint will reduce the laser detection range some. I believe I read on the Valentine site that the non tinted part of the Porsche windshield blocks 70% if infared anyway. I think they are using infared blocking coatings similar to what is used in houses(?). However I have my old V1 mounted on the visor and it seems to work well. I got hit by laser last week and didn't get stopped. It may have been since I had the headlights on with no front plate.

Old 11-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LSM
Did you cut holes in your headliner to get the clip in? With it being that high, obviously it does still detect, but, I wonder if between the tint strip and the metal roof, it effects performance.

-Lou
No modification to headliner. A few inches to the right of the rear view mirror, put your fingers between the headliner support and the roof and tug down--you'll hear a clip un-clip. Pulling down on the headliner support after unclipped, you finesse the clip between the roof and headliner support. Then re-clip the headliner support. I put a few layers of felt (1/2" total) between the detector and the headliner, which put some tension on the clip and made it nice and steady, and had the side benefit of pushing down the end of the detector facing you, so it's level.

Last edited by Poursha; 11-26-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:52 PM
LSM
Originally posted by Poursha
No modification to headliner. A few inches to the right of the rear view mirror, put your fingers between the headliner support and the roof and tug down--you'll hear a clip un-clip. Pulling down on the headliner support after unclipped, you finesse the clip between the roof and headliner support. Then re-clip the headliner support. I put a few layers of felt (1/2" total) between the detector and the headliner, which put some tension on the clip and made it nice and steady, and had the side benefit of pushing down the end of the detector facing you, so it's level.

Great!! I will definately do that, hope I don't rip the entire liner apart

Lou

Old 11-26-2003, 06:54 PM
LSM
Originally posted by ebaker
The non-metallic blue tint will reduce the laser detection range some. I believe I read on the Valentine site that the non tinted part of the Porsche windshield blocks 70% if infared anyway. I think they are using infared blocking coatings similar to what is used in houses(?). However I have my old V1 mounted on the visor and it seems to work well. I got hit by laser last week and didn't get stopped. It may have been since I had the headlights on with no front plate.
So just to be clear, the tint or simply the Porsche window effects laser notification and performance but has no effect on radar performance. If that is true, that is great news as I am planning on getting a laser jammer anyway and having the display next to my V1 remote display under my gauges.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V1 remote display is it worth? Also, the factory tint at top of the front window..