996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question re: tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Question re: tires

I have a quick question........summer tires.......specifically the new PS2's I just put on the TT today.....how DO they do in rain??

Sure they are not the best tire in the rain, but coming from a long line of BMW's and MB's I am used to not even having to slow down in the rain.....how about these wide *** 315's and the TT....do I need to slow down a little.......a lot.....or not at all? How easily will they hydroplane.......

Figured I would ask as rainy season is almost upon us....

Chris Barton

Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
I have them on my car - same thing on 19's. 315 ps-2's.
surprisingly they are NO problem in the rain and feel great. I would NOT advise doing in the rain what you would do in the dry, but all in all they are pretty good. Great Tire!!

Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM
ritchieswimwear is infamous around these parts
So Much for the innocent bystander

I love the PS2's in the rain, but have never pushed the envelope. As for never slowing down in the rain, I do not think some dad driving home to his family needs my sorry *** zooming by and blinding him with a wall of water.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Well, you know what I mean.....I normally do about 75 on the freeway and in most of my previous cars........I still ran 75 in the wet.....and rain didn't really effect me....so assuming good visibility....I still did about 75.....

Chris

Old 01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
Chris, This will answer your question completely.

Yes, I have first hand experience of how well the PS2 235 and 315 18's perform in the rain. I drove back from Kamloops to Kelowna on the back road through Vernon in October, This obviously means nothing to you unless you are familiar with BC, Canada.

Well that particular road is a single lane highway frequented by logging trucks that create major tramlines in the road.

On my drive back it was absolutely pouring with rain on the low ground, through the higher areas it was snowing like crazy but not sticking to the road.

I drove like a nut case all the way back passing sometimes more than 15 cars stuck behind logging trucks. The ruts in the road were basically rivers running down the road for miles on end........ Those that have driven on roads like this in the rain will know what I mean.

Suffice to say I am still here to write about this but I can tell you the PSM light was flashing like a banshe at speeds close to 120 MPH. Yes I am a loonie but I love driving fast in all weather conditions...hones my driving skills...haha

The car and the PS2 are excellent in both dry and wet very cold conditions +1C.

Cheers,

Ben

Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned
Red Comet is infamous around these parts
Did you feel a significant difference going from hollow spokes to the heavier '04+ GT2 wheels? I'm thinking of buying a set with PS2s for my Turbo.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !BigBadBen Is a GOD !
No not at all....I love the look of those wheels plus they are as strong as the proverbial brick **** house...I wanted that for the crappy pot hole roads we have around here.

BBB

Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Second the motion on PS2's in the rain. I'm on my second set and I live in the Pacifc Northwest. Great tire in all conditions.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM
OK, that's good news! My brother kinda freaked me out on the trip back to CA from FL when I bought the TT a couple of weeks ago....we hit some sporadic ice in OK and the car was very skittish with the PZero Rossos and he was telling me how poorly "summer" tires do in ice & rain.....well, the Pzeros' sucked on a little ice as I am sure the PS2's do also...but now that I am in CA I won't have to worry about ice.........just rain.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 AM
The PZero is a terrible tire, I hated them when I got my car, they are noisey, transmit lots of expansion joint thumps into the chassis....blah blah blah. The MPS2 is so much better in all respects!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
These reports pretty much sum up we we have found in wet weather testing, too. The PS2 is a VERY good tire.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 01-06-2006, 12:08 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
PS2's do great in the wet, but with those widths, you're innately more at risk of hydroplaning at speed.

As for the cold, the tires have done pretty well in the St. Louis winter. A few days in the 0s, and, while you can certainly tell the reduction in grip, they're not too skittish.

Now, on cold AND damp roads, they do get a bit greasy, but I've yet to find a tire that doesn't.