996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Benefits of ECU upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Benefits of ECU upgrade?

Let's say I was going to buy an EVO ECU upgrade.

Besides the obvious power and torque increase, what other benefits can I expect.

For example, will I get better throttle response? Less turbo Lag? Boost at lower rpm? Better or worse gas mileage (with normal cruising)? Any effect on cold starting? Hot starting? A/C performance? Will the general daily driveablility change?

Old 11-27-2003, 08:43 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Benefits of ECU upgrade?

Originally posted by Periokid

Besides the obvious power and torque increase, what other benefits can I expect.

For example, will I get better throttle response? Less turbo Lag? Boost at lower rpm? Better or worse gas mileage (with normal cruising)? Any effect on cold starting? Hot starting? A/C performance? Will the general daily driveablility change?
Periokid,

I have the Evo stage 2 and it is awesome. All over the rev range there are gains without sacrificing low end or mid range. Low end and mid-range are much much stronger now. It is like an entirely different car. Now to your questions. I'll answer based on my experience with the stage 2

Throttle response: way better, no comparison

Turbo Lag: Much less than before, power is more instantaneous. As a matter of fact, I drove my car and a friend's x50 turbo with exhaust,airfilter, and diverter valves and the difference is dramatic. My car pulls much harder and is much faster. The first thing I noticed after having driven my car with the upgrade for so long is the turbo lag in his car. It seemed like it took an eternity to build power. Huge difference

Gas Mileage: I didn't notice a difference, I do all city driving so I am still getting my 8mpg

Cold Starting/Hot Starting/AC: Did not notice any difference one way or another

Drivability: The same. You drive as normal, the car is the same as stock, hit the throttle though, better have some clear space in front of you

All in all a great and inexpensive upgrade for what you get. I love it and am so glad I did the upgrade. You will love it!! Talk to Todd at Evo. www.evoms.com

Lou

Old 11-27-2003, 10:39 PM
MJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud ofMJC123 has much to be proud of
I noticed a serious decrease in gas mileage....directly related to the chip install via my right foot.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:37 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I do mostly city driving too and my onboard shows an average (combined) MPG of 10.9....

Old 11-28-2003, 06:51 AM
dmilzoff is infamous around these parts
I have an Upsolute chip (only upgrade) and noticed a milage increase. That stands to reason because the chip should make the engine more efficient. I guess that I drive much less aggressively than everyone else, but I get 15 mpg normal mixed driving and 22 mpg on long distance with the car in 5th or 6th gear. I get 9 mpg during track events.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:48 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I got a GIAC stage 1 ECU and my mileage is unchanged a 15mpg mixed city/highway. The drivability is still excellent and the fun-factor is markedly improved. I gained almost 5 mph on my quarter speed too!

Old 11-28-2003, 11:00 AM
MKW
MKW is infamous around these parts
When I upshift from second to third at around 60 mph, from 4000 rpm up, the leap forward vs stock programming is something to behold. 3rd and 4th grade acceleration are way more fun than 1st and 2nd, since you feel that massive Turbo TQ shoving your back for so long and with my quiet stock exhuast , it is eeiry in a Star Trek / magnetic levitation way.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:46 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
David,
I can only speak from my own personal experience. That is GIAC Stage 4. The throttle response is amazingly quicker. The engine revs are precisely matched to the throttle input without any delay. It is really a wonderful feeling. Overall, the drivability feels much more precise and tuned. This really shouldn't come as any surprise. Porsche as well as many importers have restrictions for the overall quantity of EPA emissions for their entire imported fleet. Financially, it makes sense for them to "detune" their cars to allow greater import quantities. In addition, they are creating a "best fit" design for their customer base. What I mean is that they are creating a car that will satisfy the corporate exec types as well as the mod crazy racer types and everything in between. That is why they have the GT2. Specifically purpose built for performance.
Regarding the power associated with an ECU upgrade, in my case, it is nothing short of amazing. I kid you not when I say, it will require every bit of concentration you can muster to stay focused while driving a car with this power. THe car's acceleration is literally brutal. You better know where you are pointing when you go wide open. It is akin to an amusement park ride only more viceral.

Old 11-28-2003, 01:48 PM
BCS996TT is infamous around these parts
I agree with what everyone else has said.... Better throttle response, better gas mileage and an ear to ear grin when I mash the throttle.

You will just have to get in a car with an ecu upgrade and see for yourself.

I have the upsolute as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2003, 08:00 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: Benefits of ECU upgrade?

Originally posted by Periokid

Upgrading your ECU will be the best upgrade you ever make. It'll transform an already fast/powerful well-balanced car into a monster. I've enjoyed doing upgrades (all kinds) but the first/best step is the ECU.

I'd go with Stephen at www.ImagineAuto.com, it's a bit of a fiddly process and I've seen Stephen do it personally. He takes a lot of care and actually tests it out on his car first before sending it back out to you to make sure it's all working fine.

Also if you're ever worried about having **** dealers (we've all had our nightmares with them) then you can get his IBE switch unit, which gives you three programs, one being stock. The other two can be set for 91/93 and/or 100 octane.

The boost maps Garrett have really do kick some ****. I've ridden in GIAC 993TTs and mine (996TT).

Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Are you sure Stephen tests your ECU on his car?

Old 11-28-2003, 09:41 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
He told me that he plugs the ECU into his car then turns on the ignition but does not start it. He does this just to make sure the connections in the ECU are good and no codes are thrown. He says individual programming for each individual car must be done to actually start the car.

Old 11-28-2003, 09:48 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I do plug every ECU that I program in my car. I can not start it with out the VIN code, however I can get the car to read all parameters and run system check and look for errors. I now have a Baum tool and software that will allow me to swap ECUs VINs and start them should I wish. You can also get a gauge cluster and a partial harness and OBDII port to power up and test every ECU going out. I have them, however have not finished building the system. Until then I QC every unit through my car. I need a zipper on the compartment.So in answer to the the question, yes run every ones ECU.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:05 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I understand now. I didn't believe the car would start and run. I am use to testing to mean dialing in on the fly as Protomotive does.

Old 11-29-2003, 03:52 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I can do that, just normally don't unless the customer has the same set up as me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benefits of ECU upgrade?