996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I Like the 996 INterior MUCh BeTTer!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by sticky
You are all just a bunch of old men who don't like change. How is it that the uproar over the 996's styling that porshe purists were throwing was so quickly forgotten? Now everyone loves the 996 and hates the 997 even though porsche did exactly what the purists wanted with a return to the traditional look. There is no pleasing everyone.
I actually want change. My biggest gripe with the 997 is the attempted to return to shades of the old 911. I would prefer to see something even sportier in the 997 with a front end and head lights comparable to the CGT. I think Ferrari has definitely found the right direction with its new designs as has Lambo. Porsche took a step backward and rested on it laurels so to speak rather than striving to create something refreshing, new and edgy. The lines of the 997 interior remind me of Martha Stewart rendition of an old 911 with that telephone console thingy under the dash as seen in the 89 Anniversary Eddition.

Candidly, I liked every Porsche model since I was a kid (and I am in mid 30s). The 997 is still nice, but it does not excite me. I have shifted to Italians lately as their designs are edgy, fresh and "new." I will still keep a TT in the driveway for a daily driver, but unless they come out with somehting new and fresh, I doubt I will ever have multiple 911s in the driverway like I used to.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Doug H
I actually want change. My biggest gripe with the 997 is the attempted to return to shades of the old 911. I would prefer to see something even sportier in the 997 with a front end and head lights comparable to the CGT. I think Ferrari has definitely found the right direction with its new designs as has Lambo. Porsche took a step backward and rested on it laurels so to speak rather than striving to create something refreshing, new and edgy. The lines of the 997 interior remind me of Martha Stewart rendition of an old 911 with that telephone console thingy under the dash as seen in the 89 Anniversary Eddition.

Candidly, I liked every Porsche model since I was a kid (and I am in mid 30s). The 997 is still nice, but it does not excite me. I have shifted to Italians lately as their designs are edgy, fresh and "new." I will still keep a TT in the driveway for a daily driver, but unless they come out with somehting new and fresh, I doubt I will ever have multiple 911s in the driverway like I used to.
I'm trying to remember when porsche ever was on the edge of the styling envelope. Supercars aside the 911 is beautiful to me in the sense that it doesn't need to go overboard. It is simplistic beauty, like what BMW used to be.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by sticky
I'm trying to remember when porsche ever was on the edge of the styling envelope. Supercars aside the 911 is beautiful to me in the sense that it doesn't need to go overboard. It is simplistic beauty, like what BMW used to be.
The CGT is very cutting edge in my opinion. The 997TT could have utilized similar design concepts for the front end which would have made the 997TT more modern looking.

The 996TT was actually heading in the right direction. It was new ground somewhat for the 911 design. It was sleeker and looked less like the inverted bath tube we all grew to love growing up in the 80s. I think the 996TT and GT2 are very modern looking 911s.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:45 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
i think Porsche 911s (including 996) have been the most timeless design EVER!!! a Porsche you can look 50 years down the road and still refer new model designs and trends from what it had in the 50's... in my opinion a Porsche 911without round lights and Coke bottle shape body is simply not a Porsche 911... with the Cayenne, Boxter, Cayman, and the CGT they can do whatever they want but the Porsche legacy resides on the 911... being Porsche's Flagship i would understand to keep it more retro and classy... and that is what most 911 drivers want... for people who want change please pick up a Boxter, Cayman, Cayenne, or CGT... and stop bothering with such a great automobile as the 911

Old 01-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
The current "trend" with many (not all, but many) automobile manufacturers is the retro-look.

Look at the Mustangs, the Dodge line of vehicles, etc. Even the new Z06 doesn't excite me. The 997 is trying to capture the look of "old" in the 911s. Meanwhile, Ferrari and Lambo are pushing forward and not really looking back. However, I have heard that Lambo might re-relase the Mura?

The 997TT (from looking at the pics and I doubt that they will change the car much more before the release date) just doesn't excite me like the 996TT did. It's as if they are trying to blend the 993 looks with the new, watercooled engine of today's 911. Trying to mix the new with the old just doesn't do it for me. It seems forced.

I wish that Porsche would have taken the 996TT design and enhanced it even more rather than trying to make an older design look more modern. I'll say it one more time: the new 997 design feels forced. It isn't new and ground-breaking. Perhaps when you compare it to the 996TT, but when you look back at the previous 993, 964, etc, gens, it isn't really all that new.

A modernized 993 that slept with a 996 and produced a bastard child just doesn't excite me.