996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Just raced a 615 rwhp Cobra...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by Ryan in SD
You need to brake boost especially against S/Ced cars.
Doesn't work on the tt. ECU shuts down the throttle when you hit the brake -- try it.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Divexxtreme
Ya...I thought he'd beat me worse than that. But his car with him in it does weigh in at almost 4,100 lbs with a full tank.

And he did use his "conservative" tune that race. He was making 615 rwhp...when has the ability to make 685 rwhp.
Damm Scott your selling it already?!? Well goodluck with your TT modding, throw me some parts when your done

Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Ryan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to allRyan in SD is a name known to all
Originally posted by rmrmd1956
Doesn't work on the tt. ECU shuts down the throttle when you hit the brake -- try it.
and just when you think you control electronics....not vice versa. Clarkson had a point about the F40 then.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rmrmd1956
Hm... what do you mean with "shuts down"? In heel toe downshifting you are on the brake and accelerator at the same time. Just confused...

Old 01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by variable
Hm... what do you mean with "shuts down"? In heel toe downshifting you are on the brake and accelerator at the same time. Just confused...
When you "heel toe" the clutch is not engaged during the throttle blip.

The issue here is throttle blip (or application in any form) with the clutch engaged. In this case the ECU pulls power and you have no no control with the throttle as long as you're braking.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:19 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by variable
Your just misunderstanding.. First off with heel toe downshifting you are applying light brake pressure and letting off on the blip of the thrttle or just holding it lightly, your not hitting your brakes all the way to lock them up.

Basically what rd was trying to explain was, you cannot hold the brakes down to the floor and give it gas like you would in a rwd/fwd car to do a burnout you understand? Its awd so engaging in first then suddenly stomping the brake and giving it gas the ecu shuts off throttle and then you can stall, you won't stand still with your rpm's around 3k or higher.. What most people do in the 996tt's to launch or brake boost is to use the hand brake and throttle to keep the boost up, sharky does it in his tip

Martin

Old 01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by iLLM3
[B]Basically what rd was trying to explain was, you cannot hold the brakes down to the floor and give it gas like you would in a rwd/fwd car to do a burnout you understand?
Two points...

1)It doesn't tkae "holding the braked down to the floor", it just tkaes light pedal pressure.

2) It isn't just an AWD issue. All E-gas 996's do the same thing.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Two points...

1)It doesn't tkae "holding the braked down to the floor", it just tkaes light pedal pressure.

2) It isn't just an AWD issue. All E-gas 996's do the same thing.
So your telling me a GT2 cant? Yes it can lol! And light pedal pressure would still allow the car to move forward, you couldnt keep the car standing still unless brake was down a good amount right?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM
01zincguy is infamous around these parts
'98 (last year) in Quicksilver FX. 1 of 9 autos in the US in that color. Made 620 rwhp..no NOS. 711 with NOS. Stock internals. Very fast, but very squirrely if you're not ready...even with running drag radials all the time. Fun car...but I find myself grabbing the keys to the TT almost all of time....so I decided to sell the Supra.

I have a deposit on it now. Once it's sold...I'm doing some "upgrades" to the TT.
FYI- HoustonT had a 1000+rwhp Supra

Old 01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 01zincguy
FYI- HoustonT had a 1000+rwhp Supra
Cool.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Cool.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by iLLM3
So your telling me a GT2 cant? Yes it can lol! And light pedal pressure would still allow the car to move forward, you couldnt keep the car standing still unless brake was down a good amount right?
Here's what led to this discussion...

You need to brake boost especially against S/Ced cars.
I replied right after that post that in a 996 Turbo this isn't possible...and it's not.

I don't know about the GT2...maybe you can in that car. But it wasn't the topic of this discussion. It could be PSM related, which of course the GT2 doesn't have. My comment could have been more specific, but all 996 and 996 Turbos (with PSM at least) are alike...no throttle application with the clutch engaged and the brake applied...even a little bit.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Here's what led to this discussion...

I replied right after that post that in a 996 Turbo this isn't possible...and it's not.

I don't know about the GT2...maybe you can in that car. But it wasn't the topic of this discussion. It could be PSM related, which of course the GT2 doesn't have. My comment could have been more specific, but all 996 and 996 Turbos are alike...no throttle application with the clutch engaged and the brake applied...even a little bit.
I understand what your trying to say Dock, but with the C2's and GT2's, C2 with PSM off yes you can do that, like i said because of the AWD youw ill start going forward, in a RWD car your rear wheels will start spinning you understand, with the power going to all 4 wheels the ecu doesnt know what to do and doesnt let youa pply anymore power and it can stall, atleast from my experience, but that does not happen in a 996 c2 or c2s, or GT2

Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's what I can suggest. Go out in your Turbo (PSM "on" or "off") and at a steady state speed...foot locked on the throttle...ease in on the brake with your left foot. Tell me what happens.

Let me know...

Old 01-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Here's what I can suggest. Go out in your Turbo (PSM "on" or "off") and at a steady state speed...foot locked on the throttle...ease in on the brake with your left foot. Tell me what happens.

Let me know...
Dock i was agreeing with you man LOL, im saying witht he AWD Porsche's PSM or not it doesnt matter you cant do it, but that doesnt mean for all 996's like you stated (RWD 996's) or even 996 turbos rwd (GT2), but we are on the same page just mis-understanding each other

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just raced a 615 rwhp Cobra...