996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Electrical Gremlin with Seatbelt Chime

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM
TrailRider is infamous around these parts
Electrical Gremlin with Seatbelt Chime

Please save me from driving my car over a cliff... I have some type of sporadic grounding / shorting issue that sets off my seatbelt chime (like the belt is not buckled in while driving) and it is driving me nuts!

It acts like a loose wire.. that is, going over slight bumps in the road will cause it to go off.

I have a custom sound system, double din, reverse camera, amp up front. I figured it was due to all the wiring modifications of this so I removed the double din but the issue is still happening.

The problem is definitely originating in the center console area. If I tap the top of the dash at the console the light will flicker. And if I press up hard on the air vent plumbing from under the dash that will also disable it.

I've searched, but does anyone have the wiring schematics for the seat belt chime?

Are there any grounds I should be checking in the center console area?

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot further would be appreciated!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:41 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
can't speak to any of the electrical issues with your add on's.. but the seat belt receptacles are an infamous known point of failure causing airbag etc cels? i'm not sure if this is causal or even contributory, but if it is? its the contacts of the receptacle itself that can be cleaned but better still, replaced.

i have NO idea if this would contribute to causing the chiming(?!) but again, its a known issue re the receptacle itself. wiring under the seat as i recall. but all that said..it's been years since i dealt with "it". GL. i can't stand that noise

upon reflection, this probably isn't part of your issue and all those add on are.. but.. was the best i had....

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
Weird I don't even have a chime when belt isn't fastened.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:13 PM
TrailRider is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Atrox
Weird I don't even have a chime when belt isn't fastened.
Lucky you!!

I was able to eventually fix the issue... thank gawd!

I knew the issue was in the dash... probably due in part to my aftermarket head unit.

Ended up removing my gauge cluster and reseated all the wiring going to it. This seems to have solved the problem...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.