996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best tire size and spacer setup for Turbo Twist wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
Agree on 18s. I went to 19s for a while & came back to 18s. Much depends on the road surface you drive on. If it's not smooth, you will be jostled by the reduced compliance from shorter sidewalls.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:23 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
19's are good, you just need to find the right tire combination. I spent way too much time researching this and explored every option.

If you go with 18's:
Stock 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 fronts along with the 295/30/18 PS2 are best in this size.

GT2 sizes 245/40/18 front with 315/30/18 in PS2 or BFG Rival tires are best.

If you go 19's:
Best fit but hard to get 235/35/19 with 315/25/19 Sportcontact 6 ordered in from Germany are best in this size but low profile sidewalls have rougher ride and less grip. Toyo and Nitto make these but are poor tires.

Next best fit 245/35/19 with 295/30/19 Fronts are .2 inch smaller than rears so front drive may have less efficacy but these are available in many great brands and are very close in size. Won't fit on 12 inch rims though.

Next is 245/35/19 with 305/30/19 Rears are .5 inch taller than fronts which is pushing it, but I haven't heard of anyone ruining their diff with this setup. Lots of rubber on the road and plentiful tire choices. I like the Michelin PSS or new 4S for street tires and the Brigestone RE-71 or Yokohama AD08 are great sticky aggressive tires with awesome sidewalls that will work on track.
My bet is that on most of these higher/high mileage cars, the viscous coupling is pretty much shot and does very little if anything with the transfer of torque anymore. Most guys just assume they have a functioning AWD system when in fact for the most part they just have a front end diff just dragging along for the ride as it would with larger rear tires.

Has anyone tried to get the car on the lift (or put up on 4 jackstands), wheels off the ground with engine started and put in gear to see what amount of torque the front is producing when the car is lightly putting along? I bet that if you simply put the car in first and let the rears turn with idle RPM, you'll be able to grab the fronts and hold them in place. Have someone slowly increase rpm and see if the fronts start producing much torque. Simple test to give you an idea to check the system... Takes 15 minutes to accomplish..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:16 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I think mine works. Last I drove it I would kick the rear out on some corners and I could feel the front pulling me along. Also when I would floor it in the rain I never got significant wheel spin and I was running 1.2 bar. I know my car used to have 19's on it from the previous owner that had 225/40's up front with 305's in the rear.

I forgot to mention the 225's, they are 26.1 in tall and they work well with the 295's and 305's but is a skinny tire that will push.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
I'm running 225/40/19 and 295/30/19. Gives me the same sidewall height + comfort as stock and also gives me the same overall diameter front to rear for the AWD. My setup is a couple pounds lighter even though 19" vs stock hollow spokes (yes, I weighed them). My car is a street car, the setup works perfect for my application.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
To test the viscous coupling: on a nice smooth and level concrete floor, put a floor jack under the rear cross member and jack it up enough to lift the rear tires off the ground. I put 1x4 wood in front of the front wheels to stop the car from moving. Get in start it up, turn PSM off, let out the clutch in first gear. the car will push against the the 1x4s but not climb over it? Be carefull!!!!!! I have done this and see a a fair amount of torque but not enough to climb over a 3/4 thick piece of wood, so not all that much. Give it a try, only takes about 10 min. to check it out. I would like to know how other peoples cars respond to this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.