996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shootout updates as they happen live from the source!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
It is nice to have the highest hp, however it is my guess the highest hp car in the shootout did not have the highest average hp or torque. Get them to post the full numbers and you will probably be very surprised.

As for varing boost, why use a switcher? An adaptive boost controller offers far more options. Another plus is you are not limited to usng GIAC.
You can use a boost controller on a 911 turbo? I thought the boost had to be controlled through the main computer and that going over 1.2 bar wasn't possible that way anyway due to the throttle body shutting down.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 PM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by cjv
It is nice to have the highest hp, however it is my guess the highest hp car in the shootout did not have the highest average hp or torque. Get them to post the full numbers and you will probably be very surprised.

As for varing boost, why use a switcher? An adaptive boost controller offers far more options. Another plus is you are not limited to usng GIAC.
You sound like one of my clients. "Why do you produce variables with a range from 1-8, I want 1-100." I dunno. 1 to 8 works well enough for most folks. But, I'd be happy to charge you more for 1-100.

But seriously, I have used only two settings on my chipswitch. Stock for dealer trips, and 94 octane for every day use. So, you could give me 1000 settings and I wouldn't use any of the other 998.

P.S. I think that more than 50% of 996TT drivers armed with a variable boost controller would ultimately end up spewing $30K of engine parts all over the side of the road. It takes far too much self discipline to responsibly operate one of those. I think they need a TV commercial "friends don't let friends alter their own boost" or something like that.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Racer

I simply heard what was going on from this board. Rumors are flying rampant and maybe I am speaking to soon. I guess we will soon see.

Lou

Old 12-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by LSM
Racer

I simply heard what was going on from this board. Rumors are flying rampant and maybe I am speaking to soon. I guess we will soon see.

Lou
Yeah. I heard the same one too. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Lou,

The 996tt limits the boost on the throttle body to 1.3 bar. What it does is close the throttle body when 1.3 bar is reached. Until a few months ago, this was not an issue as no one was boosting above 1.2 bar. I went to GIAC through two of their authorized reps a couple months ago to see if they could remove this limitation. I was informed that they had not done this but they could. I was also informed they would not do it to my car until after the shootout. Their above position along with the dyno runs for the shootout being performed at their facility, were a couple of the reasons I declined to participate at the shootout. Back to your question, the answer is these elevated boost levels are a very recent development. Protomotive has now also solved the 1.3 bar limitation.

As for Fred's low torque, my guess is it is a combination of high boost and his turbo's A/R ratio. In other words the turbo's were not designed for the boost. The elevated boost was an after thought.

Last edited by cjv; 12-02-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by cjv
Ack. Forgot to respond to the first part of your post Chad. I agree 100% that the highest HP won't necessarily yield the best lap times or 1/4 mile times, in part because its the area under the curve that matters, not its peak height.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure it's "nice to have the highest HP". I'd much rather someone else explore the upper bounds of HP, torque, boost etc. I don't have the stomach for it!

Besides, I've have never once come to a stoplight and found a worthy adversary. (Well, the driver might have been worthy, but their car sure as heck wasn't.) Going to the drag strip bores the crap out of me. And I'd never take a $150K car out onto a road course with all the other buffoons who think they're the next coming of Ayrton Senna, although they've only been on the track for a total of 30 minutes. So, why on earth would I need the highest level of HP? I'm just drivin' too and from work, taking the kiddies up to McDonalds, and burnin' a little rubber here and there.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:20 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
racer63,

I agree. I use two levels, 1.0 and 1.2 bar 99+% of the time. the 1.0 is for the twisties and the 1.2 is for the straight line acceleration.

I use 1.1 bar and below with 91 octane. Anything above 1.1 bar I use 100 octane.

Last edited by cjv; 12-02-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned
CJV how do you intend to get around the 1.3 bar limit without giac? Additionally, please answer my question at the top of this page, thanks.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:27 PM
cjv
sticky,

We got around the 1.3 bar limitation about one week after GIAC refused to help. Todd Knightington at Protomotive did the work on my ECU.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by cjv
Lou,

The 996tt limits the boost on the throttle body to 1.3 bar. What it does is close the throttle body when 1.3 bar is reached. Until a few months ago, this was not an issue as no one was boosting above 1.2 bar. I went to GIAC through two of their authorized reps a couple months ago to see if they could remove this limitation. I was informed that they had not done this but they could. I was also informed they would not do it to my car until after the shootout. Their above position along with the dyno runs for the shootout being performed at their facility, were a couple of the reasons I declined to participate at the shootout. Back to your question, the answer is these elevated boost levels are a very recent development. Protomotive has now also solved the 1.3 bar limitation.

As for Fred's low torque, my guess is it is a combination of high boost and his turbo's A/R ratio. In other words the turbo's were not designed for the boost. The elevated boost was an after thought.
Exactly. I was asking a baited question. If the Stage4GT was out much more than 2 months ago, it is impossible for the standard Stage4GT programming to hit anything above 1.3bar. Unless they completely re-wrote their stage4gt program that they sell to every consumer. In Fred's defense though, I think he used hybrid turbos and maybe GIAC rewrote his programming specially for him. Even so though, the Stage 4 GT could not possibley hit 1.5 bar as it was out before the 1.3 bar threshold was surpassed.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:31 PM
LSM
Originally posted by racer63
Ack. Forgot to respond to the first part of your post Chad. I agree 100% that the highest HP won't necessarily yield the best lap times or 1/4 mile times, in part because its the area under the curve that matters, not its peak height.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure it's "nice to have the highest HP". I'd much rather someone else explore the upper bounds of HP, torque, boost etc. I don't have the stomach for it!

Besides, I've have never once come to a stoplight and found a worthy adversary. (Well, the driver might have been worthy, but their car sure as heck wasn't.) Going to the drag strip bores the crap out of me. And I'd never take a $150K car out onto a road course with all the other buffoons who think they're the next coming of Ayrton Senna, although they've only been on the track for a total of 30 minutes. So, why on earth would I need the highest level of HP? I'm just drivin' too and from work, taking the kiddies up to McDonalds, and burnin' a little rubber here and there.

Well said that pretty much somes it up for me as well.

Lou

Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 PM
cjv
sticky,

I may stand corrected on this one. I would have to check with Rob at S Car Go Racing to be sure. When you say 911 turbo, do you mean 996 turbo (01 to present)? If that is what you mean, then yes, the adaptive boost controller works. I use one successfully all the time. The ABC and the 1.3 bar limitation are two different animals. The ABC is an electronic device that regulates when your turbo waste gates open. The 1.3 bar limitation simply shuts your throttle body down when 1.3 bar is attained. If you used an ABC on a ECU that had the 1.3 bar limitation, then you could control boost up to 1.2 bar. If you have the 1.3 bar limitation removed from your ECU then you can regulate as high as you turbo's can create boost or wherever they set the new limitation.

Hope this properly answered your question.

Old 12-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Banned
CJV, if boost can be adjusted just by buying a boost controller why don't ppl do that instead of spending so much money on chips?

Yes, you did properly answer my question, thanks. I know I ask a lot of questions but there are a lot of things I want to know

Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 PM
LSM
Originally posted by sticky
CJV, if boost can be adjusted just by buying a boost controller why don't ppl do that instead of spending so much money on chips?

Yes, you did properly answer my question, thanks. I know I ask a lot of questions but there are a lot of things I want to know
I have the same problem.

Lou

Old 12-02-2003, 11:27 PM
cjv
sticky/LSM,

Boost is only part of what is modified on the ECU. The air fuel ratios are just as important. The Porsche system will adjust to a point. When you increase the boost you are increasing the oxygen in a given volumn. Too much oxygen without adding fuel will lean the mixture resulting in a hotter burn. Too much heat leads to detonation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Shootout updates as they happen live from the source!