996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shootout updates as they happen live from the source!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:03 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by buddyg
I have to say I am very dissapointed. Yes I have a dyno sheet right in front of me that says 586.7 hp and 563.9 ft lb of torque that we ran yesterday on the same dyno. But when the magazine article comes out the RED BEAST will only be showing 522 hp.

We have a bad turbo boost leak somewhere and Todd with EVO is trying to find it. I hope we can get it fixed in time for the track event tommorrow! The Ghetto machine is next up then SCARGO and who knows what Cargraphic is doing. They were suppose to go before Alex.

Reporting live from GIAC a very dissapointed BUDMAN!

Anyone heard anything on why Cargraphic skipped their slot?

Old 12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
I have not been able t obtain boost numbers.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:06 PM
dpblessing is infamous around these parts
Unless there is a limit on the boost that can be run, what is wrong with anyone / everyone doing whatever they want?

I also agree that knowing that data will make for a more interesting and informative magazine article.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:11 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
dpblessing:

There is nothing "wrong" with it, it is just that most believe these are not reliable numbers to run and you are in serious jeopardy by doing so. Also, because boost is such a big factor, you need to know it to properly compare numbers.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
Moderatorette
Porsche Babe is infamous around these parts
while they were sorting out Budman's issues - Cargraphic was told to get lunch & they would be worked back into the line up thats all...

Old 12-01-2003, 04:17 PM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
Got ya babe, thanks for the info.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:28 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
I agree that to not publish the boost levels really brings into question the usefulness of the findings. After all, anyone can pump up the boost for this test, use race gas, hope a lot, and look great. I do not see the relevancy of this to street performance driving where you cannot really use a mapping that is set for race gas and you probably want some real reliability and durability.

Just my $.02 worth...

Old 12-01-2003, 04:30 PM
John: Sure wish we could have seen a Ruf car there. What dyno #'s do you have and what boost do you run.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Update was 442 for Sharkster first run with two more to come.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Ghetto has to be way bigger than that! Hell, if not, we'll kick bro out of the hood!

Old 12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Ok here is my read. The reason I did not enter my car was because when my car would reach 1.3 bar at 6100 rpms it would close down the throttle body. Roger had a solution that would of tricked the computer letting it run as much boost as it could possibly 1.4 1.5. I was against this because its not a true representation of what the car can do nor would it be reliable. My car was making 570 to the rear wheels at 6100 rpms before shutting down. I am sure there is at least another 30 posibbly 40 HP to pick up if the software issue was worked out.

Old 12-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Moderatorette
Porsche Babe is infamous around these parts
Sharkster's second run 420's

Old 12-01-2003, 04:43 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Duane
Update was 442 for Sharkster first run with two more to come.
Ouch...that doesn't sound good...at 20% thats only 530HP (about 15 more then me with my stock K16's ). That can't be right...somthing musta happened...doesn't he have the same turbos, with "better" software then you Duane??
Evan

Old 12-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I wonder if its a tip has anything to do with it?

Old 12-01-2003, 04:46 PM
john stephanus is infamous around these parts
CC...my car is at Weissach Performance in Vancouver getting the Ruf "treatment" as we speak...the Ruf tech arrived from Germany last night and began on my car this morning. I should have it on Thursday. Will dyno it on a Mustang 4wd dyno in Seattle sometime this month and report...not that this means alot given that different dynos read so differently.

I imagine from what I have read here that it will be in the 570 to 600 fwhp range. I am looking for a broad flat TQ curve and quick spool up for backroad useage. It will certainly not be as fast as some of these cars...but it will not need race gas and will not be at 1.4 or 1.5 bar either :-)) It would really be interesting to me to see the shootout cars run a spec 91 octane gas and have to at least report their boost and maybe even be limited to some agreed upon max boost like 1.1 or 1.2 bar. That would level the playing field and would tell us more about the engineering than just pumping up the boost and running race gas...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Shootout updates as they happen live from the source!