996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is there any relationship between AWD and PSM on the 2002 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Is there any relationship between AWD and PSM on the 2002 TT?

I have convinced myself that:

- the operation of the AWD

and

- the operation of the PSM

ARE COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT.

I am basing this on my understanding that the AWD has the capability to shift power from 95% RWD to as much as 40% FWD - on demand through viscous coupling.

and that . . the PSM is an automated application of braking (ABS related) to spinning wheels.

This is important to my RE-learning process - linking feet, hands and brain while participating in Driving Events.

My initial controlled agressive driving experience was an SCCA Autocross on Saturday. After making a few runs with PSM ON and experiencing what felt like independent application of braking to various wheels (slowing my times), I made a few runs with the PSM OFF and felt a bit more comfortable, in control with quicker times.

I noted that once turned OFF - the PSM stayed OFF - until reactivated or the engine was restarted. I assume this is normal operation.

My concern is when I step up to higher speeds at an upcoming day at Sebring for example, will I have any affect on the operation of the AWD if I experiment with the PSM ON and PSM OFF.

I bought this car with the intent to RE-learn to drive at HPDEs. I have already done a lot of Track Days in AWD (Mits VR-4) and probably formed some AWD habits and wanted to stay in "somewhat" familiar albeit "somewhat" different territory - not the least of which is engine placement and overall front/rear balance.

If deactivating the PSM has the potential to lock the car into 95% RWD - I don't think I would turn it off.

Anyone able to confirm independent AWD vs PSM operations for this noob???

Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I can confirm that switching off PSM has no effect on
AWD. I can also confirm that for extreme driving like
autocross, PSM is suboptimal. It kicks in too soon
for autocross, and will actually kill your power for
a second or two if it thinks you're too out of shape
and you may not be. Lastly, PSM is *always on* under
braking, but if you've switched the switch off, it's off
during acceleration or non-brake cornering.
HTH,
Joe

Old 01-18-2006, 02:56 PM
g8rbob is infamous around these parts
Thanks Joe.
I am definitely drinking from a fire hose - trying to go through the "learning to fly process" at a safe pace.