996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE's SUCK in the rain!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 08:51 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 20C4S
HRE does not form metal. everything is sourced out. chrome is always a option though they don't recommend it.
Only paint or plating is done outside, whereas wheels are designed/engineered/machined/assembled at HRE.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:41 AM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
I had the EXACT issue regarding rain and water in the lips. I was driving and the car was all over the place in the rain. I thought that I had a flat tire. I made it to the service station and the service person was laughing and asked how I got all that water to come out of my wheels. He said that when I stopped there looked like someone threw a bucket of water out of the wheels from underneath the car.

Regarding quality,
I have been very disappointed with the lips, they got cloudy and I have waxed and waxed them. Finally they are now just ok. Used meguires metal nxt (recommended by HRE)

Now I'm looking to get a wider lip (3.5 to 4" clear) in the rear and looking into Maya or iForged or Madio wheels.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Tezta is infamous around these parts
I think the 840R barrels are different than the 540R series. It doesnt look like there is much chance of getting water stuck in the 840R series wheels compared to the 540R.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:19 AM
JPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really nice
mayas are pimp, literally.

have u seen duane's benz?

perhaps you should look into p.diddy's wheels, you know the one's with diamonds in 'em.

Originally Posted by RobertM
I had the EXACT issue regarding rain and water in the lips. I was driving and the car was all over the place in the rain. I thought that I had a flat tire. I made it to the service station and the service person was laughing and asked how I got all that water to come out of my wheels. He said that when I stopped there looked like someone threw a bucket of water out of the wheels from underneath the car.

Regarding quality,
I have been very disappointed with the lips, they got cloudy and I have waxed and waxed them. Finally they are now just ok. Used meguires metal nxt (recommended by HRE)

Now I'm looking to get a wider lip (3.5 to 4" clear) in the rear and looking into Maya or iForged or Madio wheels.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
gobie18 is infamous around these parts
Just called HRE, they said the wheel is warranted for a 2 year period for structual and finish defect EXCEPT for outter chrome rim. They did chrome the wheels and they have stopped doing that now because of this exact issue. So they recommeded me to send the wheels back and have them polished for $160 a piece. I guess I'm SOL on this one as far as warranty.

Gobie

Old 01-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
All R series wheels in any brand will have water issues ..i have only seen a few jap made wheels that have invented a solution to this problem .. in which they made the inner barrel different so it wouldn't hold water .. But this isn't hre's fault its just what is available to all 3 piece manufactures to make there wheels which i think will be fixed very soon ..
Also Gobie18 how long ago did you get your hre wheels because they stopped chroming a little while ago ..outter lips that is ..Remember chrome is very corrosive and need allot of maintenance salt and brake dust will ruin them fast ..

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:06 AM
bumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond reputebumble996 has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW, I had a "R" type lip on my Work Rezax 2's on my old E46 ///M3 and never had issues in the rain...as wheelb mentioned, maybe this is a case of japan wheel co's re-engineering their wheel.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
also rain vibration only happens seldom.. i have rarely heard of this happening ..i have had countless hre's on all types of vehicles and never have experienced this on any of my vehicles..

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
gobie18 is infamous around these parts
I ordered these last year around May and recieved them in about July/August time frame. I thought most people have bought their's with chrome rim with brush centers at that time, so I ordered the same thing.

Gobie

Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gobie18
I ordered these last year around May and recieved them in about July/August time frame. I thought most people have bought their's with chrome rim with brush centers at that time, so I ordered the same thing.

Gobie
u can not visually tell the difference between chrome & polished lip in the picture. all polished lips from HRE look like chrome. i've received many ordering calls that customers stated they want the chrome lip. i know they meant the polished lip not chrome ones.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:50 AM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
My wheel lips are chrome and WAY easier to keep clean than the polished. They both look great but the polished lips take a little more work to keep them looking good.

Attached Images  

Last edited by GENERAL LEE; 01-24-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
My wheel lips are chome and WAY easier to keep clean than the polished. They both look great but the polished lips take a little more work to keep them looking good.
true. there are pros & cons on chrome vs polished. give the fact that polished surface is bare metal if they're in the wrong hands it'll turn into disaster easy.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
They look the best however they are not the greatest wheels made.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:28 PM
EpDarks is infamous around these parts
Remember that Viper event? I beleive HRE had 8 failures?

Best looking wheels out there, its a shame...

Old 01-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Site Sponsor
ep sorry to say that was proven those weren't hre but in fact another brand which i wont say !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE's SUCK in the rain!!!