996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

speccing out an RT12 - some feedback pls?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hesperus
Guy, you are right of course about weight reduction, but deleting the A/C is impossible, as I live in a tropical country, and i don't enjoy the thought of expiring from heatstroke in the car!

we have indeed specified the GT3 seats, and no sunroof. the only remaining item to be decided is the wheels. i would love to get the Manthey forged magnesium BBS ones, but I think they do not come in 19's? also, it doesn't seem right to fit Manthey wheels on a Ruf car, even if Manthey is every bit as prestigious as Ruf.

BBS LM's would be tasty too...

finally, i recognize that Rufs are streetcars, not track cars. if it was a track car we wanted, then we would have gotten a Manthey M400 or something similar from his stable!

have you got pics of your car online? i love it!!!
Well man you seem to be closing in on what you want for this car, just make your damm mind up already and GET IT, i can't wait to see videos and pics haha..

Ok first, i mean its rational that you wouldnt want the RWD with your driver skill, but also the AWD model is not a toy either, it can get you into some serious trouble as well, just not as fast

I feel if i were getting a supercar like that, i would DEFINITELY get RWD, there is just a feel awd cannot replace like you said, but either would be good for me. Just remember you have to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run.. Same thing applies to driving cars, you get comfortable and build your confidence and skill up, i think its the best way and btw the RUF cars every every bit of track capable, not just show cars for the street

That being said congrats, do not opt for the taller gearing or cf door's IMO but hey this is your car, and get the OEM RUF wheels it comes with, it will look much more classic that way!

Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
First of all, congratulations! I think this is one of the most magnificent cars in the world. No kidding.

I am with you on the CF doors. Go for it. I have seen them on the 997 Cup Cars and they are extremely light and Uber cool. You wll no doubt pick up more road noise but...they are cool.

I don't like the Ruf wheels. I would definitely go for the BBS Lemans. Those wheels are the **** and they would look great on that car.

I am so jealous and happy for you. Great car. Please post pics from your trip to Ruf.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, we expect major pics when you get it! Oh and what color are you getting?

Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic
Wow, we expect major pics when you get it! Oh and what color are you getting?
He better get that orange!!!!!

Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
The Big Orange Bird??

Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
The Big Orange Bird??
Yup! The car is out of this world

Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
actually we went back and forth as to the color, and in the end settled on white over the Ruf orange. mainly because:

1) white on black is (for me) simply timeless on the 911 shape. and i've always loved the look of a cup car in bare white before all the sponsors graphics go on it. it is so businesslike, zero flash and bling, all business.

2) a white on black RT12 would go nicely with our white on black 996TT

so here's how the spec is shaping up (kudos to Marc Bongers over at Ruf, who has been uber patient with us as we go back and forth over the email and the phone, discussing the car, options, and whatnot):

- white with all black interior (white accents on exposed hard surfaces)
- GT3 seats w/ Ruf pepita cloth black/white centers, seatbacks also white
- integrated rollcage trimmed in alcantara
- 6 pt belts
- shortshift kit
- standard gear ratio (Guy & Ruf Racer: thanks for the advice!)
- carbon kevlar doors
- 3.8 liter motor
- AWD
- ohlins suspension w/ hydraulic lift at front
- 380mm 8-pot brakes (330mm 4-pot rear), black calipers w/ white letters
- rear wing in naked carbon fiber
- carbon fiber engine cover (painted white)
- carbon fiber side mirrors painted white (CF exposed at mounting points)
- rear bumper is the original RT12 design that Ruf first came out with, not the updated design with the thru-the-bumper exhausts.

hmm... i think that's about it. just the wheel and tire combo that needs to be sorted. looking like forged OZ superleggeras with 355 tires. but that can wait til the very end. Ruf have said the car should be done by June/July at the latest.

i will try to get pictures of the car, as it is shaping up (hopefully someone there can do this for me). and certainly when we visit the factory, i will take tons of photos. if anybody here would be interested to see them, i will be happy to post.

cheers!

Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Hesperus,

I understand about a/c, I'd keep it myself as well......

As for wheels Ruf have tested the RT12 with some lightweight wheels, based on the OZ Superleggerra III forged, I don't know if they are offering these for sale though.

As for my car, here one with Adams Yellowbird:

Guy

Old 01-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
Ooops, just missed your post.

Marc Bongers is a really nice guy and very knowledgable on Porsches.

Your spec is exactly what I would have specified myself, albeit that white would not be my choice, since although it's a great colour in hot climates (I've seen many white Porsches when visiting Dubai) it does not work well in the overcast, wet and muddy country that is England

355s will look insane from behind, I cannot wait to see it. I may even see it in build, as I'm planning on going out to Ruf again in a couple of months time. The last two times my car was there I had it delivered and collected by enclosed truck, as I couldn't spare the time, so it's been a while since I've visited Ruf.

Guy

Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
White is an awesome choice for the RT12... Very classic 911. Seems like you have all the right options too. Congratulations on ordering one of the finest automobiles in the world.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:58 PM
turbo_freak is infamous around these parts
white = drool
white with exposed carbon-fiber = drool x infinity
updates are not an option, take good pictures you lucky ****

Old 01-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by turbo_freak
white = drool
white with exposed carbon-fiber = drool x infinity
updates are not an option, take good pictures you lucky ****
Yea white and CF is def. a drop dead gorgeous combo drooooll...

Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 AM
KompressorKev is infamous around these parts
white/black with white accents is immaculate. and ohlins and the 380mm brakes, exactly how i would dream it up if i had such a gratuitous budget. congratulations on a rare and amazing car! this one will truly be timeless

Old 01-27-2006, 03:43 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Good job with the order, looks you got most of everything.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Superb!

I will keep an eye out for your baby as it is being built and make sure to get some pics

all the best
adam

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: speccing out an RT12 - some feedback pls?