996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My new Baby, the Porsche from HELL part 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Red Devil
I'm not 100% but I don't think X-50 has a different engine, just turbos and programming. I'd still be interested in what they told you if anything. How much boost do you see on WOT run. Stock non X-50 should be 0.6-0.7 and I believe X-50 will be up to 0.9.
Yeah I remember reading that his new engine came complete with new turbos etc. Being an 05 motor made me think it would be the "S" version which would be nice.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Hossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant future
dtmarsh, FYI...

Universal Underwriters is a property & casualty insurance company that specializes in auto dealers. They only very recently started sticking their fingers in the "warranty" business. They are not a "big outfit" by any means in the extended warranty business.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Thank god Ebay took care of you when their warranty exluded all turbos, GT2 and CGT

The following vehicles are NOT qualified for a SquareTrade Limited Warranty:Year:All Models older than 20 years (older than 1985)Mileage:Vehicles with over 150,000 miles at the date of purchaseModel:Acura NSX
BMW 8-series
BMW Z8
Cadillac Allante
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
Chrysler Prowler
Dodge Stealth
Dodge Viper
Ford GT
Land Rover (all models)
Mazda RX-7
Mercedes 600-series
Mercedes AMG
Mitsubishi 3000 GT
Nissan 300 ZX
Plymouth Prowler
Porsche 911 GT2
Porsche Carrera GT
Porsche (all Turbo models)

Old 02-01-2006, 01:24 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The morale of the story is not to skimp on eBay fees by doing transactions offline.

And not to buy those useless warranties. They won't fork up the dough if it's more than the premium you paid.

AON has a relationship with eBay motor so they won't dick you. You can never have too much warranty or insurance.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm just glad the car is ok-now and going forward.. what a nightmare However, come tomorrow you'll be nice and quick:P

Old 02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Hossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by djantlive
You can never have too much warranty or insurance.
Is that right?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm curious as to how this problem slipped by the dealer who performed the inspection.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM
GENERAL LEE is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hossfly
I'm curious as to how this problem slipped by the dealer who performed the inspection.
The answer seems pretty obvious to me.....

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I could write a long story on how the dealer missed the problem. The short story is they didn't miss it, as the paperwork that the tech filled out shows there was a problem, but they just sold me the warranty anyway. My buddy is the lead mechanic at my local dealer and he recently told me that while at a recent Porsche training seminar he ran into the tech that inspected my car in Reno for Bill Pearce. Evidentally the manager at Bill Pearce was going to fire the tech over the situation, but the tech showed the manager his notes from the inspection that stated explicitly that there was a knocking sound from the engine. But the bastards just ignored it and sold me the warranty anyway. It was the finance manager that made the decision to sell me the warranty. I forget his name, but I could look it up in my notes, but what's the point? Then I had to fight just to get the money back I paid for it.

Everything I've written on this thread explaining the events that occurred is the condensed, shortened version of the disaster. I could sling more mud and blame regarding the way I was treated and I could easily name names because I have meticulous notes on conversations w/ dates and times on everything, but it's not my intent to harm someone's character even if I have the facts and the right to do so.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
I could write a long story on how the dealer missed the problem. The short story is they didn't miss it, as the paperwork that the tech filled out shows there was a problem, but they just sold me the warranty anyway. My buddy is the lead mechanic at my local dealer and he recently told me that while at a recent Porsche training seminar he ran into the tech that inspected my car in Reno for Bill Pearce. Evidentally the manager at Bill Pearce was going to fire the tech over the situation, but the tech showed the manager his notes from the inspection that stated explicitly that there was a knocking sound from the engine. But the bastards just ignored it and sold me the warranty anyway. It was the finance manager that made the decision to sell me the warranty. I forget his name, but I could look it up in my notes, but what's the point? Then I had to fight just to get the money back I paid for it.

Everything I've written on this thread explaining the events that occurred is the condensed, shortened version of the disaster. I could sling more mud and blame regarding the way I was treated and I could easily name names because I have meticulous notes on conversations w/ dates and times on everything, but it's not my intent to harm someone's character even if I have the facts and the right to do so.
Ya' know I think things turned out ok in the end. James looked it over and you did get the "made in spain" case so you've got the new sleeving and not to mention an awesome clutch/flywheel combo. The car ran real strong according to James.

PS man that's a clean engine lol!

PPS thanks for bringing me back that Subway.. I'm only now sitting down and eating the other half!

Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2006, 10:46 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Made in Spain and mods ?

Hi Sharky,
I'm a long time lurker and TT owner. Sorry in advance for the all the questions....
I have an '03 911TT which I've owned from new.
It's bone stock apart from having a new engine fitted just over a year ago.
Now have about 7500 miles on the new engine and I'd like to think (kid myself) it's a little stronger (pulls harder) than the original :-)

So I was intrigued by your post and picture showing that dtmarsh's replacement engine casing was made in Spain and is somehow superior ?

I took a look at my nice clean engine this morning and noticed it also says "Made in Spain". So does this truly mean anything or is it down to part numbers / revisions numbers aswell as simply being made in Spain ?

Now for the interesting part re mods - I'll send you a PM.

Tim

Brit in San Diego

Old 02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
An 03 w/ a new engine? What happened?
Maybe we should start a second engine club around here.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:45 AM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
'03 with new engine...

dtmarsh,

just over a year ago I took it in for it's first 12 month routine service with about 7500 miles on the clock.

Got a call from my SA saying they were switching out the engine as it had a porus casing and was seeping oil but not badly enough to actually drip.

So basically it went in for an oil change and came out with a new engine !

Overall a very painless experience - but a little suprising.

Interestingly my '02 996 cab had to have the tranny changed for a porus transmission casting and my '99 Boxster had to have a new engine because the engine gave out big time (slipped sleeve?).

So it's 3 for 3 so far with my Porsches :-)

In PCNA's defence they've stepped up to the plate every time with no prompting from me what so ever - which is much more than can be said about our local MB dealer and MBUSA generally....

Regards Tim

Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Damn this car is fast. Wow.