996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Stereo System suggestions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SR996
8027 ?? Lemme ask you stevo is this a new one out in the market recently ? I havent seen it yet. Also I just actually saw a 8017 in person one of my hummer customers had one installed and the screen is pretty small, I am wondering and hoping some one makes something slightly bigger.I saw the eclipse unit luting chen has (which by the way thanks again for the pics) and the only thing I dont like is the space around the moniter.I am hoping theres a slightly larger unit that will take up most of that square area on the center portion of the dash.
The DDX-8027 is the higher end Double Din model here in Europe, the 8017 might be same for you but in US version. Looks awesome!

Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 AM
syaero is infamous around these parts
Here's the Pioneer D1 unit.

Attached Images     
Old 02-05-2006, 03:47 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
I have the eclipse avn5435 with every accessory they sell. I have yet to install it though, so no feedback as far as performance. My stepdad has an older eclipse model in his ride and it's a really nice unit and user friendly.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:48 AM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Syaero thnks for the pics that set up is really nice !!! Is the kenwood bigger than the pioneer or are the units the same size ? And one more question if you dont mind what is that thing you have above the a/c controls ?

Old 02-05-2006, 09:53 AM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AIRjordan23
a bit off topic...to all the guys that have a navi head unit (pioneer, kenwood, eclipse...) with stock amp/speakers.
how does it sound? any improvements whatsoever. i would assume you would get just a bit more flexibility with controling the sound (bass, treble etc...) anything else to note? Cleaner signal?

Does it sound better/worse?
I have the stock Navi head unit and personally do not like it.
There might be more flexibility, but the stereo system sounds pretty bad, IMO. I am hoping I can get a better sound with better speakers, the HK systems in BMW sound much better (which are OK not great).

Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MikeR
I have the stock Navi head unit and personally do not like it.
There might be more flexibility, but the stereo system sounds pretty bad, IMO. I am hoping I can get a better sound with better speakers, the HK systems in BMW sound much better (which are OK not great).
i have the stock bose without navi and i think in comparing it to HK in bmw's (i had 2 m3's) the bose is WaYYYY better. In the bmw's the first thing i upgraded was the whole sound setup. In the 911 i feel like its not necessary, but obviously thier is room for improvement.

I was just wondering if sound will improve with the bose system if you add an eclipse headunit/navi or the pioneer, and keep everything else stock.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
if you have an '03 or newer with the Bose, then you are screwed as they went to a fiberoptic cable system that model year and to change one thing in the audio system, you have to change out everything (head unit, amp, speakers, wiring) as they are not compatible with any mods I researched this extensively trying to figure a way around this but to no avail. This included several emails/calls with Reau and another exotic audio dealer.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:20 PM
so does this mean I cant even just intall the kenwood tv 8017 on its own? Oh well I guess its time to get ideas for a COMPLETE system then, any recommendations or pics of subwoofers, amps etc. Anything you got for sound with pics would be appreciated greatly thanks for the info lizard

Old 02-05-2006, 04:02 PM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AIRjordan23
i have the stock bose without navi and i think in comparing it to HK in bmw's (i had 2 m3's) the bose is WaYYYY better. In the bmw's the first thing i upgraded was the whole sound setup. In the 911 i feel like its not necessary, but obviously thier is room for improvement.

I was just wondering if sound will improve with the bose system if you add an eclipse headunit/navi or the pioneer, and keep everything else stock.
My 01 does not have Bose speakers, from what I can tell and what the dealer told me, this could be the reason I do not like them. From what I recall, Bose was not an option in 01 (?) I am looking into an upgrade either way.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Syaero thnks for the pics that set up is really nice !!! Is the kenwood bigger than the pioneer or are the units the same size ? And one more question if you dont mind what is that thing you have above the a/c controls ?
all of the double DIN's are the same size... There are 2 sizes in the car audio world when it comes to head units. single DIN and double DIN... well you can count 3 really Din 1/2 which is used on GM vehicles but most of those are now going to double DIN.

I worked in the industy for over 8 years and still play alot... you have more questions let me know..

I would lean towards the eclipse equipment.. easy to use, great sound quality

Old 02-05-2006, 06:27 PM
redline C4s is infamous around these parts
if you have an '03 or newer with the Bose, then you are screwed as they went to a fiberoptic cable system that model year and to change one thing in the audio system, you have to change out everything (head unit, amp, speakers, wiring) as they are not compatible with any mods I researched this extensively trying to figure a way around this but to no avail. This included several emails/calls with Reau and another exotic audio dealer.
i don't think this is true. I have the bose sound system in my 04 C4s and i added a JL Audio 250/1 and 2 8W3v2 subs to replace the stock sub to get some more and better low end out of the system. With the stock Navigation head unit the system sounds really good.

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2006, 08:55 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
Today, while removing my center console U + radio/ac frame (changed to Carbon Fiber pieces), i noticed that my stock radio has a fiber optic connection. Can someone please confirm or give a bit more info, if thier is a possibitlity to add just an aftermarket head unit to the stock setup. Basically im looking into an aftermarket double din navi, but for now just want to attach it to the existing stock (03 bose) amps + speakers.

Lizard1 can you supply some more info. Also i noticed that thier are 3 wires connected to the rear of the bose headunit. 2 regulars and then the 1 fiber optic. What exactly is the fiber optic piece responsible for?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the compliment, SR996! The Kenwood 8017 is same size as the Pioneer; both have 6.5 inch screen. In fact, I believe the Eclipse has the same size screen as well. I have the Pioneer connected directly to the stock amp and speakers. It sounds very clean and clear. I think overall, it sounds a little better than the stock CDR-220 unit. The Navi functionality of the Pioneer unit is just awesome. Overall, I'm very happy with the unit.

As to the unit above my a/c controls, it's a DVD player. It's a pretty cool unit with RCA connectors for video camera input.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the compliment, SR996! The Kenwood 8017 is same size as the Pioneer; both have 6.5 inch screen. In fact, I believe the Eclipse has the same size screen as well. I have the Pioneer connected directly to the stock amp and speakers. It sounds very clean and clear. I think overall, it sounds a little better than the stock CDR-220 unit. The Navi functionality of the Pioneer unit is just awesome. Overall, I'm very happy with the unit.

As to the unit above my a/c controls, it's a DVD player. It's a pretty cool unit with RCA connectors for video camera input.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Well since I heard about something new Id thought I would share and get some inputs from you guys. Its all over ebay but not on the pioneer website heres the link (a 7.0 inch double din touch screen unit dvd/nav etc. its called the avic z1)

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-AVIC-Z1-...QQcmdZViewItem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stereo System suggestions.