996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pilot Sport Cups on 996TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
zed
zed is infamous around these parts
Pilot Sport Cups on 996TT?

I've decided to keep the 996TT for now instead of trading for a 996 GT3. Seems too close to new product (997TT and 997 GT3) release to switch now. I've already installed the ROW suspension. Now I'd like to do tires. The car is not used as a daily driver. Please share any experiences on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. I am told that is a stickier tire than the Pilot Sport Ribs which were the OEMs fo the 2004 996TT. Thanks.

Zed

Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Captain Tal is infamous around these parts
Unless you NEVER drive your car in the rain, get Michelin PS2's. They perform at 80% of what Sport Cups do on dry pavement and handle wet conditions exceptionally well. Sport Cups should not be driven on the highway in the rain.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
redline C4s is infamous around these parts
i have the PS2's and it is an awesome tire.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I had PS2s on my 03 TT coupe and on my 04 TT cab. I just put AD07s on my 04 TT cab and I like them better than the PS2s.

Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Doug, I was wondering about the AD07s...could you tell us more. I also have the PS2s (which are way better than the stock Pirellis), but may want to try something stickier. TIA.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:17 PM
bond is infamous around these parts
Zed - last time I checked, there were no "N" (Porsche tested and certified) PS2's in the correct front size for the 996TT - may want to check. Guys are using the 235 GT3 size, but I don't like to change the speed relationship between the F and R due to the 4wd

Bond

Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bond
Zed - last time I checked, there were no "N" (Porsche tested and certified) PS2's in the correct front size for the 996TT - may want to check. Guys are using the 235 GT3 size, but I don't like to change the speed relationship between the F and R due to the 4wd

Bond
I was told that it did not matter. I was one of the first to buy PS2s for my old TT. I spoke to someone at Michellin and Tire Rack both of whom said there was no difference in the PS2s that were N rated. This was more of a OE designation than anything on this particular tire. Just buy the right size as opposed to getting an N rating that is a different size.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Doug, I was wondering about the AD07s...could you tell us more. I also have the PS2s (which are way better than the stock Pirellis), but may want to try something stickier. TIA.
I love the PS2s and was very happy with the PSs on my 90 Ruf. I was hesitant to try something different, but the AD07s came highly recommended by Tire Rack and they are using them on the Elise so I figured what the hell. I think I saw some test results on the Tire Rack web page which indicated that performance was better when you did cross comparisons as there was no head to head comparisons with PS2s.

The AD07s have better grip. No question about it in my mind. The ride is as good if not better. The grip though is amazing. You have to try hard to get the tires to break loose. I think they are almost as good as R compounds in grip and I have had no issues whatsoever in rain as this is my daily driver.

They are a bit noisier, but nothing like the Contis or Pirellis. I hated both the Contis and Pirellis and took those off when they were new on a couple of cars.

I would get the AD07s over the PS2s again and it would be an easy choice. This is saying alot as I am partial to the Pilot Sport line and both the PSs and PS2s were my favorite tires for several years. If the performance was even or negligible, I would buy the PS2s due to brand loyalty so to speak. I, however, have found the AD07s to be the best street tire I have ever used.

Last edited by Doug H; 01-31-2006 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
There is a world of a difference in dry grip and braking between PS2's and Cups. Not even close, especially if you take it to the track. Tires are easily worth a couple of seconds per lap maybe even more.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
not Cup, unless u track the car or u're Craig.

the Pilot Sport Rib is the worst Michelin tire ever IMO but they last forever. if u go with Pilot Sport 2 u'll notice night & day difference. u need to get used to them because PS2s have much softer sidewall especially u're coming from the Rib. u'll be surprised with the difference.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Small world . . . I was discussing this precise issue with Todd earlier today.

I have been using the Cups for a long time now. They are awesome when they heat up to their optimal performance temperature. However, its takes a while of hard driving to heat them up. Under normal driving conditions, the Cups are well below their optimal performance temperature and the grip is not stellar. Therefore, I only recommend Cups for canyon or track driving, when you have the opportunity to heat them up. For normal city driving, I would not recommend the Cups.

The Cups are also VERY prone to nails, screws and other road damage. They grab ahold of everything. I have gone through MANY sets of Cups. I finally found a place that sold me a warranty for them (best investment I ever made).

As others have already observed, the Cups are prone to hydroplaning in wet conditions. That being said, I drove my car many times in the rain . . . I just proceeded with great care.

Given the marginal performance of Cups under normal driving conditions, I am about to switch to the PS2s (although Doug’s comments about the AD07s are intriguing). I want a tire that grips better right out of the gate, and does not need to be heated up like the Cups. Doug, do the AD07s need to be heated up before they perform well (like the Cups) or do they perform well under normal driving conditions when they are relatively cold? Arling, do you still like the Corsas over the PS2s for my particular needs? Does anyone else have any experience with a better tire for my usage?

BTW, I am looking for 18 inch tires only – 315/235.

Craig

Old 01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Craig:

No, they do not really need to heat up for the street. I have not had these on the track so I cannot comment. I go through some familar roads with tight turns messing around and I can take corners at the same speed or about 3 mph faster with AD07s firmly planted where the PS2s began to break loose, slide or the tail come out a little. The difference is noticeable.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:02 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Thanks Doug....I'm going to give them (AD07) a try.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Thanks Doug. I just checked Tires Rack's site and the AD07s sound great. Unfortunately, they do not come in a 315. Looks like its the PS2s for me (unless someone else has a better recommendation).

Craig

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Like Craig said the Cup's are much faster on the track after they are warmed up. Prior to that they are not as nice as the PS2's. I only use my cups on the track because they are very prone to picking up punctures. I just have two set's of rims and tires. One track one street.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sport Cups on 996TT?