996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Child Seat for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM
X1
prubin is infamous around these parts
PM Sent.....

Originally Posted by Lizard1
i've got the Porsche OEM child seat that you are looking for. whoot me a PM if you're still interested and i'll get you some pics so you can verify it

Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 PM
X1
OK, I found a couple of seats that are narrow enough to fit in the rear seat, however I can't seem to figure out how to properly secure them. The shoulder harness is never tight enough to keep the seat from tilting like crazy.....

Any tips? I've heard there's some kind of LATCH system, but I can't figure that out either. Thanks!

Originally Posted by prubin
OK, I've tried a couple of child car seats in the back of my 996TT, but they don't sit right. The rear seat of the car is too narrow for these seats to set properly. Does anyone know where to get a child seat that FITS the rear of the car? Any online sources???

Old 02-26-2006, 01:17 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
OK, I found a couple of seats that are narrow enough to fit in the rear seat, however I can't seem to figure out how to properly secure them. The shoulder harness is never tight enough to keep the seat from tilting like crazy.....

Any tips? I've heard there's some kind of LATCH system, but I can't figure that out either. Thanks!
The Carrera does not have latch in the rear (or front). It does have an anchor for the top tether though (in the rear). You must use the seat belt to secure the seat and then you should also use the top tether (in the rear). Use some towels or pillows between the child seat and the car's seatback to minimize fore and aft movement. Make sure you fully extend the car's seat belt in order to engage the locking mechanism.

Read your owner's manual for the child seat, then read it again, then install the seat, read the manual again, check the seat, and then read the manual again! Improper installation can render the seat useless. You wouldn't believe how small changes can give poor sled test results.

I work at a car seat manufacturer but I am not a certified installer so please take what I say with a grain of salt. Have your seat installation checked at the local PD where they will have a certified installer. Is your child's life worth it? I'm sure he/she is.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Michael 996TT is infamous around these parts
I did the toysRus thing, they were great, let me take the seats out to the car and try - found several brands that fit - even with my Techequip roll bar installed - saved over $100 vs used Porsche seat - all were "Name Brands" too. Just a thought - of course the Porsche stuff is made to fit. Good luck ...

Old 02-26-2006, 03:41 PM
X1
Thank you for your kind reply. Where is the anchor for the top tether???

Originally Posted by JakeMate
The Carrera does not have latch in the rear (or front). It does have an anchor for the top tether though (in the rear). You must use the seat belt to secure the seat and then you should also use the top tether (in the rear). Use some towels or pillows between the child seat and the car's seatback to minimize fore and aft movement. Make sure you fully extend the car's seat belt in order to engage the locking mechanism.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you for your kind reply. Where is the anchor for the top tether???
It's up on the rear deck . There's a little piece of carpet that is cut so you can access it. Your owner's manual should show it if you can't find it but it'll be pretty obvious.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:42 PM
X1
Hi again, I looked at my manual, but my rear deck doesn't look like the picture. The manual shows a U-shaped bracket on the vertical face, behind the seat back. When I pull my seat back forward, there is a Bose speaker only; I don't see any bracket.....any ideas?

Originally Posted by JakeMate
It's up on the rear deck . There's a little piece of carpet that is cut so you can access it. Your owner's manual should show it if you can't find it but it'll be pretty obvious.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 AM
AlanS is infamous around these parts
How to properly secure the child seat

If you install the child seat in the rear seat, pull the seat belt all of the way out until you reach the end of the seat belt. Make sure to properly route the seat belt through the car seat according the manufacturer's instructions. When you pull the seat belt all of the way out, you will notice a clicking noise when the belt starts to retract. This locking mechanism allows you to really secure the seat, because the seat belt must be fully retracted before it can be pulled out again. I put all of my weight on the seat and pull the belt as tight as I can get it. With a little practice, you should be able to get the seat belt tight enough so it's impossible to move it.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi again, I looked at my manual, but my rear deck doesn't look like the picture. The manual shows a U-shaped bracket on the vertical face, behind the seat back. When I pull my seat back forward, there is a Bose speaker only; I don't see any bracket.....any ideas?
It's probably behind your Bose. There will be a little piece of carpet that is semi-cut in a U-shape that you'll have to find an edge and kind of peel it up. Underneath the carpet and a bit of insulation will be the anchor. Get in there and feel around. You have to bit a bit of a contortionist.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I'm selling my Porsche Car Seat. I'm asking $250 for it if you're interested. It has the male clip that deactivates the bags.

I freakin' left the female part in the car when I sold it, but I'm trying to get that back.

PM me and let me know if you're interested.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:20 AM
X1
I bought the Britax Roundabout; fits great, easy install, and very secure. I'd highly recommend it! Now, is anyone selling their airbag defeat clip; my daughter said she'd love to ride in the front.....

Originally Posted by AlanS
If you install the child seat in the rear seat, pull the seat belt all of the way out until you reach the end of the seat belt. Make sure to properly route the seat belt through the car seat according the manufacturer's instructions. When you pull the seat belt all of the way out, you will notice a clicking noise when the belt starts to retract. This locking mechanism allows you to really secure the seat, because the seat belt must be fully retracted before it can be pulled out again. I put all of my weight on the seat and pull the belt as tight as I can get it. With a little practice, you should be able to get the seat belt tight enough so it's impossible to move it.