996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AWD to RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 PM
911mike is infamous around these parts
AWD to RWD

I made the switch to RWD a several months ago and love it so far. Pulled all parts related to front drive, feels lighter, more acceleration. Don't track the car, just 'spirited' street driving.

Question: Don't have the LSD installed, so am I just driving one rear wheel? If I were to do a burnout (which I won't) would there be only one tire mark? If so I may schedule the LSD addition, or reinstall the front drive components. I looked on the board and get mixed messages.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Yah you have an open diff. I'd go with a wavetrac LSD.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
You're still driving both wheels, until they slip, hence the Limited Slip diff.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:48 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You could have some performance loss if you are spinning one wheel in corners and stuff, but if you like it and aren't spinning you can just roll with it.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
I highly recommend the WaveTrac diff. Its not a "true LSD", but gets the job done on a budget.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Best for a dual duty car is either leave it awd or rwd with the addition of an lsd for the reasons mentioned. "Open diff" is no way to run the car if performance is the goal.

I also recommend the wavetrac and RWD

Old 02-28-2018, 08:43 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I've been RWD for 2-3 years now. I'm still waiting for some signs I need a LSD. My '99 996 C2 Cab had one, my last 2 Vette's had them too. I haven't found the need thus far.

I'm the type (now) that will find an area that needs attention and address it. I didn't like the AWD from the day I got my TT, and changed it after a few years to RWD. I didn't like my ride height, lowered it with coilovers. I didn't like the front end push, I went a heavier rear sway bar. I didn't like the long shift throws, installed a SSK. I wanted black wheels lighter than stock, got 'um. I'm an ex motorcycle road racer, so I like fast, especially entering turns, exiting them too. Compared to pusing a cycle at speed the car seems too easy. Anyway if I ever find a need for a rear LSD and the need keeps coming up, I'll put one in. I think I would have felt it already. Talked to a friend that tracks his 996TT all the time and he doesn't think I'll find I need one.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:38 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I just got my front diff back in the car. I loved the feel of the RWD for the 6 months I had it, but I see now that I'm much cockier with 4WD! Straight line doesn't matter too much but once you start pushing the corners, the 4WD gives you a sense of confidence and predictability that is not matched with RWD.

When I was RWD, I did test whether I had open diff when I had a chance in the snow. Definitely not open diff. The GT2 has a locking diff in the rear that is different from the turbo, but don't be too quick to go spending a few grand to get a different LSD unless you try it out in some slippery stuff first so you can see how it handles as is.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:00 AM
I think you'd really have to be pushing the car to notice. I do notice that when I put the rear into a slide and give it some gas that the front wheels pull me around the turn some. I don't know what that would be like with RWD and no LSD.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM
henryting is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 911mike
I made the switch to RWD a several months ago and love it so far. Pulled all parts related to front drive, feels lighter, more acceleration. Don't track the car, just 'spirited' street driving.

Question: Don't have the LSD installed, so am I just driving one rear wheel? If I were to do a burnout (which I won't) would there be only one tire mark? If so I may schedule the LSD addition, or reinstall the front drive components. I looked on the board and get mixed messages.
If you don't do burnouts and don't track the car, I see little point in adding a LSD because 99.99 % of the time under regular driving, or even under spirited driving, won't cause the wheels to slip. Besides LSD always require high maintenance because the clutch plates are the first to wear out. Now if you track the car, yes LSD indeed helps.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by henryting
If you don't do burnouts and don't track the car, I see little point in adding a LSD because 99.99 % of the time under regular driving, or even under spirited driving, won't cause the wheels to slip. Besides LSD always require high maintenance because the clutch plates are the first to wear out. Now if you track the car, yes LSD indeed helps.
At 775HP and RWD my car would sometimes want to jump over a lane at WOT, the WaveTrac has helped with that enormously. Since he's got upgraded turbos, I imagine it would be the same for him.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
I just got my front diff back in the car. I loved the feel of the RWD for the 6 months I had it, but I see now that I'm much cockier with 4WD! Straight line doesn't matter too much but once you start pushing the corners, the 4WD gives you a sense of confidence and predictability that is not matched with RWD.

When I was RWD, I did test whether I had open diff when I had a chance in the snow. Definitely not open diff. The GT2 has a locking diff in the rear that is different from the turbo, but don't be too quick to go spending a few grand to get a different LSD unless you try it out in some slippery stuff first so you can see how it handles as is.
I ran open diff RWD on quite high power for a few years.....

As far as performance... it was fine on twisties but I never got to the track.

I did get caught one night in a few inches of snow on my summer R888s... had to get home 32 miles from Easthampton... bloody terrifying even at 25-35 mph most of the way

Old 03-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
I ran AWD for 4 years, RWD with a open diff for two years. Finally installed the wavetrac and ran it all of 2017.

My car is setup with kw v3’s, sways, rake, wider front tires, larger diameter rear tires to improve front grip (dial out most of the understeer).

The additional traction wavetrac provides is obvious even at the first spirted drive. IMO the improvement is as signicant as the coiliver upgrade. A proper LSD is probably another huge step in performance but it didn’t fit in my budget.

I hated the handling of the stock set-up. It feels like a real sports car now.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:06 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Since i use my car on the track, i go LSD + AWD.