996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Did I do the right thing by buying a 7 year Western General Aftermarket warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 09:31 PM
scslite is infamous around these parts
I have thought about this for my car as my warranty was close to expire. But then I spent the money on mods instead and now have none left for warranty.

Seriously, if it gives you the peace of mind and will mostly keep the car stock then it might not be a bad idea. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:43 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
warranty

Girth- we had actually exchanged emails a few weeks ago- I was asking you about warranties for my 2003 996tt. I've done a lot of research on this topic. I have found that western general and easy care are the 2 best warranties out there. These companies are registered with the california dept of insurance (as required by ca law). Extended warranty companies that offer vehicle service contracts are now regulated more closely in CA, inorder to help prevent scams and help protect consumers from companies going out of business. I'm going to get an easy care warranty, because it's a little cheaper, but my research tells me that western general is also very good and pay their claims. Nothing is 100% safe, but I think a warranty is worth doing if you are going to keep your car a while, like we are.
jb

Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 PM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
thanks guys and Hi Jb . yes I remember we spoke via email. thanks for posting that info. I didnt know that. I usually have buyer's remorse for most expensive things I buy. But not with the turbo since its so damn fun to drive. So I also plan on keeping the car the whole warranty period of 7 years anyways if not longer. I cant afford to keep changing cars anyways.

Old 04-08-2006, 04:20 PM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
Hey guys..its me the car dealer(Toyota). WG has been around a long time and has been a great company. If you bought there top of the line you got a great warrenty. As I said I'm a dealer and I bought a warrenty on my 02TT(although not a WG).
Call me crazy....if something blows....0 cash out of pocket...well worth it.
JB

Last edited by JohnnyBeatles; 04-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I recently bought a the top of the line easycare 6/60 plan for $2K. It has a $100 deductible and is transferrable. The peace of mind and resale value are well worth it to me. Keep in mind that it is 6 years from the date of purchase of the warranty (2012) unlike the factory certified cars that come with 6 years from new (2 more than standard).

Old 04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
I wrote the Porsche From Hell thread 6 months ago, if anybody remembers.
I needed a new engine on my 01 996T and amazingly the 30 day warranty I got free from ebay paid for it 100%.

Getting a pre-purchase inspection and skipping a long-term after-market warranty may seem like money in the bank, but my PPI didn't catch serious problems that led to my engine replacement. Of course you can sue the PPI provider for a new engine, but that takes much time, energy, money and frustration. (I almost had to do this.) Meanwhile your car sits for 6 months until you win your case and then you get your engine IF the company steps up in good faith w/ the money, which is highly doubtful.

I bot an extended warranty thru Universal Underwriters. They work w/ many Porsche dealers on the west coast. My spoiler motor quit working and I got a whole new unit $1500.00 for a $100.00 deductible. I say buy the warranty. It might be a waste of money, but the peace-of-mind w/ cars like ours is worth it. Now when I'm driving my car hard I don't have the slightest
worry about what if this or that breaks? These are thoughts that can rob you of the enjoyment of driving your car hard. Maybe I'm just psycho

So I got brand new 2004 turbo engine w/ brand-new, AC unit, exhaust (recently replaced w/ AWE--I love it!), alternator, turbo chargers, etc., straight from the factory. Because of a warranty The Porsche From Hell became a gift from heaven.

You bot a warranty and you did the right thing.

David

Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
great words of wisdom. you regret buying certain things until you really need them . thanks

Old 04-11-2006, 03:03 AM
tthoang1 is infamous around these parts
Extended warranties

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
I wrote the Porsche From Hell thread 6 months ago, if anybody remembers.
I needed a new engine on my 01 996T and amazingly the 30 day warranty I got free from ebay paid for it 100%.
David,

I remember reading your Porsche From Hell thread several months ago. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I recall you purchased an extended warranty from Bill Pearce Porsche (Universal Underwriters) after they completed a PPI on your TT, in addition to the extended warranty offered through Ebay. When you discovered your engine was about to grenade, you thought that your extended warranty from UU would cover the new engine. However, UU told you that you didn't get a "special" inspection and were told that your warranty was invalid, and would not honor your claim. I recall another six-speeder pointed out that Ebay could have denied your claim because their warranty included exclusionary language on Porsche (all Turbo models). I'm glad everything worked out for you. But as I said before, the devil is in the details.

How on earth did you get UU to cover the replacement of your $1500 spoiler motor? Did you take them to court?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
You got several items wrong in my story. Instead of me correcting them at length, just go back and read the Porsche from Hell thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.