996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Calling all Clutch/GT2 conv. DIY'ers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 06:49 AM
tom153 is infamous around these parts
Multiple reports that the evoms one is 120mm in this thread; last couple of pages show measurements of the AP one at ~127mm

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uctions-8.html

Old 04-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Faster_Gun is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tom153
Multiple reports that the evoms one is 120mm in this thread; last couple of pages show measurements of the AP one at ~127mm

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...uctions-8.html
Thanks for the link. Im glad to know im not alone.
I haven't had time to play lately. Hopefully this weekend.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:56 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
So this kit, you have an actual GT2 slave cyl plus an adapter bracket?

Do it the right way, drop the trans again and throw out the adapter bracket and not have to worry about the rod lengths and any of this crap ever again.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I"m just curious about how the OP got a "conversion bracket" without all the required parts... His shopping list looks like everything was bought new, but don't the conversion kits all include everything you need? It would be very poor service for someone to sell the bracket without mentioning that you also need a longer rod. (It's like the old days when you would buy a printer but it wouldn't come with a cable - unless you asked for one.)

Old 04-06-2018, 10:10 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
So this kit, you have an actual GT2 slave cyl plus an adapter bracket?

Do it the right way, drop the trans again and throw out the adapter bracket and not have to worry about the rod lengths and any of this crap ever again.
Exactly. Spend a little more up front and never deal with it again. Why should you have to now have a custom length slave rod? They're all garbage design, every one of em. OEM is the only way to go with things like this.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:07 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by s65e90
Exactly. Spend a little more up front and never deal with it again. Why should you have to now have a custom length slave rod? They're all garbage design, every one of em. OEM is the only way to go with things like this.
You certainly have the right to your opinion but my non-OEM setup has been bulletproof for the last 6+ years. Lots of track days. Lots of hard use.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Quick update: I had the chance to pull the trans back out of the car on Saturday. I will be looking for a new case half. Turns out I broke the pin bore.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T8vVqZwqFiOZmFuQ2

If anyone has a lead on a rebuilt trans or a case please let me know.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Faster_Gun
Quick update: I had the chance to pull the trans back out of the car on Saturday. I will be looking for a new case half. Turns out I broke the pin bore.

Ouch. I see too many issues with fragmented castings on this car that make me believe there's some issues with the metal itself. Shouldn't be breaking like that. I imagine it was slightly out of alignment and when you stepped on the clutch it broke the ear off. You might me able to weld it back together. Worth a shot before ditching the trans altogether.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Totally forgot and Steve mentioned using a tilton clutch. You can eliminate that whole assembly as it uses it's own hydraulic throw out.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Faster_Gun

I have a fresh gearbox available for sale. Includes a cooler... Check the classifieds

Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 PM
Former Vendor
DriverSource has a spectacular aura aboutDriverSource has a spectacular aura aboutDriverSource has a spectacular aura about
I believe the Porsche motorsport case is actually cheaper than one from the dealer. PM me if you would like more information.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:14 AM
I loaded up the trans and drove around to a couple indie shops last night to see if anyone had ideas. I met a couple cool people but no one that was willing to tackle it.

Bill Raider sent me this video last night:
View this post on Instagram
so it would appear I have options if I want to take the case apart and not buy a new case. Of course once the case is opened im chasing down the second gear pop out issue.

s65e90 - Thats an interesting idea. Ill put a call into Tilton today and see if they have anything for a stock porsche setup.

pwdrhound and DriverSource - PMs sent