996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Future TT owner saying Hi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:34 AM
AriciU is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up Future TT owner saying Hi

Hello,

I live in eastern Europe and will get a '02 996tt by this summer. I currently own a '03 BMW 645Ci witch i love and was/is my first sport car... OK it's a GT weighting like a pig with some nasty understeer at the limits but i love it.

I would like more HP, 4wd and a lighter package overall. I always loved Porsche's so the turbo seems like the right car to upgrade to at the moment at a correct and stable price since depreciation took it's toll. I will probably get the 420HP standard turbo, 6speed with less then 40.000Km's on the ODO.

I have to be honest and admit my choice for the turbo comes from the great tuning potential it has and i will probably get a kit before purchasing the actuall car to be fully prepared

Of course, i have some questions... witch have probably been discussed before but it appears there is something wrong with the search function of this forum, at least for me.

I am thinking of getting either the EVOMS GT640, 9ff's FM96T-3 (582hp/780NM) or RUF's 550HP. The Evo kit is the least expensive with the Ruf costing almost double the price and the 9ff one being around 4k more and with less power... (we all know the Ruf 550 is more like 600-620hp from Adam's videos...). In the end i think i will choose the Evo kit because of the price and the great reports from you guys. Of course i will add their stage2 clutch to the package as well.

However, being on different continents, anyone know about Evo's policies with international shipping?

Is the kit 100% bolt-on with no problems that could arrise in the installation process? Like the ECU for example. Do i have to send them the stock ECU so they can flash it with their GIAC software or is it "bolt-on" as well? Also, about the software, do you just load it to the ECU as it comes or do you have to do certain adjustments to it on a dyno for the car to run as it should? If the dyno part is required it could be a problem for me because there's aren't any dyno's in my country, neither experienced software tuners around that are up to the job.

How will the driveability differ with the GT640 kit compared to stock in day to day city driving? Any problems that can arrise due to the engine internals remaining stock? Also, will the rev limit be upped with their kit from the standard 6750rpm?

How hard will the car be to launch compared to stock? Also, i've read that the biggest problem with launching is wheel hop. However i can't really understand what this means so if anyone wants to go in some detail I would be gratefull.

Sorry for all the newbie questions

Here's my current baby at the moment

Old 02-07-2006, 01:38 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Hi welcome aboard. Nice bimmer. Evo 640Gt is very popular. And this is the right board to get feedbacks. Good luck

Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
To be the fastest get the Manthey's M700 kit. They claim 700hp and 0-200km/h in 8.9 seconds. A magazine has tested their (normalweight) 685hp GT2 in 9.3 seconds. Really, what kind of Porsche can beat that?

One option is RS-tuning. They do the motor tuning for Cargraphic and Edo competition (Edo is the fastest street Porsche at the 'ring) and also to Team Alzen (a crazy widebody 996TT going FAST at the 'ring in VLN series, there's dvd's and videos available...) etc.
Techart does also some great power packages (600hp, 646hp etc) with a lot of upgraded parts but of course they are expensive.

German tuners don't claim as much power as many US tuners. So are they more reliable? I don't know...maybe it is just that here are so many guys with 600hp++ kits from various tuners so all the time someone has a blown maf or cels etc..Okay it is nothing bad but I don't like any kind of faults at all and Porsches are all about reliability, or maybe I should understand that these cars are really hightuned with huge power and not just like the stock ones One thing is sure some Euro tuners use for example race intercoolers more often in their high performance packages...that's great for real perforfmance but also $$$.

Anyway I would go with the EVO GT640 package, you (or I ) would be one of the first in Europe with that!
During recent times I sense some people think it's a bit same with Porsche as it is in the BMW scene. I mean US cars with more power at the dyno are a bit slower (for example at the quartermile...too bad people really don't dragrace Porsches, hell even I don't, nearest 1/4 track is so far away).
But everybody here praises EVO so go for it... (I've already bought something too from EVO to Northern Europe, but haven't installed yet, who knows what kind of power package I'll buy from them some day Hope the current engine doesn't blow )

Edit: about power differences and dyno numbers, Dynojet (US) and MAHA (Europe) might tell so different numbers so maybe it's better to stop this kind of speculation Anyway for the power (and price!) go with the EVO, what I tried to say is that their 640hp kit might not be that much faster than you think than a bit lower kit from some German tuner. But according the facts you should still be faster and isn't that what counts?

Last edited by Kaizu; 02-07-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
AriciU is infamous around these parts
Yeah, i know. Reinhold Schmirler of RS-Tuning is one of the best engine builders at the moment. He even does the engines for the Alzen racing team. Manthey is also godly for porsches at the moment, the closest thing to a full works team IMO. However, i think we both agree that you would need to spend almost the price you paid for the 996tt to be able to get anything done by those guys so it's overkill for regular people IMO... at least for me it would be
I'm not really interested in drag racing. We have no tracks for that here anyway and i prefere day to day driving, racing to high speeds on the freeway and hitting the mountain twisties with a vengeance

What is the stock boost of the tt anyway? These kits, as i've noticed make only around 1.2bar anyway since the ECU dumps you to limp mode if you use anything more... so as i don't live in Dubai or some crazy high temperature country i don't really think bigger Intercoolers are really needed for just 1.2 bar of boost.