996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My PSM & ABS brake lights come on when I drive fairly hard. Why & what can be done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
My PSM & ABS brake lights come on when I drive fairly hard. Why & what can be done?

When I turn off the car and back on again, they go off. But is this normal? Is it just a sensor? Does it have to do with me driving hard or the fact that I have 19" wheels on? Should I just ignore this? And is this recorded as an error every time it lights up? I just wonder this for warranty issues.

Last edited by girthboy; 02-07-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like your MAF is on the way out.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM
tme
tme is infamous around these parts
Thats what was happening to me and stopped when I changed the MAF. Rebooting the car (turning it off then restarting it) reset the ABS and PSM.

Last edited by tme; 02-07-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:26 AM
thanks, how much should this cost? Should it be cleaned or replaced?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by girthboy
thanks, how much should this cost? Should it be cleaned or replaced?
If it is tripping the lights, you should get it replaced. You can check this on your own by unplugging the MAF cable in your engine, starting the car, and watching the lights come on. The same thing will happen. Cleaning it probably won't help.

Typically, when you have a contaminated MAF, you will not trip those lights. You might throw check engine lights (CEL) because of an improper fuel mixture, but the ABS/PSM lights will usually stay off.

Give Stephen at Imagine Auto a call. Switching the MAF out takes no longer than 2 minutes and is easy to get to.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you should probly read the cel code first

Old 02-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Man, I wish I knew how to do this. I just bought the porsche recentley and have no clue about cars. But its all very interesting. I guess my best bet is to just go to my repair shop.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by girthboy
Man, I wish I knew how to do this. I just bought the porsche recentley and have no clue about cars. But its all very interesting. I guess my best bet is to just go to my repair shop.
Screw going to the repair shop. You can purchase a turbo MAF rather cheaply. Give Stephen or Nathan a call at Imagine Auto.

Next, you will need a T-20 security torx bit that will enable you to pull the two screws off of the MAF. Unplug the MAF sensor, unscrew it, remove it...pop the new one back in, put the screws in, and plug it back up...boom, you are done. It takes about 2 minutes from start to finish.

If you actually go out and buy the MAF and get ahold of a T-20 torx bit, I am sure that any of us on 6speed will gladly walk you through replacing your MAF.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
I had the same problems also. More than likely it is the MAF, but I also had problems with my rim and tire combo that also tripped these lights. I had 19" Champion RG5's on my 01 Turbo with 245/295 Pirelli P-Zeros, and had to replace the rears since they wore out. I went to the PS2's in the 315 rears, and kept getting the same lights whenever I drove hard around corners. The front outside wheel in a turn would also brake slightly which made going around turns kinda hairy. I then posted my issues on 6-Speed and found out that my tires where not within the tolerance percentages for the PSM. I went and ordered two front PS2's in 235 and the problem has never come back. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Hmm, thanks! Can anyone email me for a contact phone perhaps to try this? neochka@hotmail.com

Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by M3CAB
I had the same problems also. More than likely it is the MAF, but I also had problems with my rim and tire combo that also tripped these lights. I had 19" Champion RG5's on my 01 Turbo with 245/295 Pirelli P-Zeros, and had to replace the rears since they wore out. I went to the PS2's in the 315 rears, and kept getting the same lights whenever I drove hard around corners. The front outside wheel in a turn would also brake slightly which made going around turns kinda hairy. I then posted my issues on 6-Speed and found out that my tires where not within the tolerance percentages for the PSM. I went and ordered two front PS2's in 235 and the problem has never come back. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
that brings up another question! My rear wheels I think are too small or something. The bozos at the tire company shop that put on the 19" zone wheels for the owner in June put on the wrong ones on the rear with a very small lip. The rears are 315/25 and the fronts are 235/35. However the inner & outer is lip is too small. I just bought the car and noticed this. The PPI showed it to be driveable and not an offset. But I am thinking that may be what is tripping off those lights.

Last edited by girthboy; 02-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
They look like a narrow body offset.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:11 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
my car is tripping off the <!> (that's a triangle) light in 2nd gear only from 3700-4500rpm or so. when this happens, the car feels like it's bogging (best explanation) - power is down, exhaust note dramatically changes, etc.

MAF?
Boost gauage reads 1.2 but maybe it's pushing past 1.4 momentarily? it's right after peak torque.

My car has also decided to start dying in random spots, but mostly when casually shifting into 3rd.

MAF?
Or the LW flywheel recently installed?

the fun never ends w/ this ****ing car...

- chuck

Old 02-08-2006, 09:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
They look like a narrow body offset.
Sure does, damm that's horrible but i doubt it would cause your PSM and everything to freak out!

Old 02-08-2006, 09:32 PM
what is a narrow body offset? Heres a view from the back if that helps....

Last edited by girthboy; 02-08-2006 at 11:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My PSM & ABS brake lights come on when I drive fairly hard. Why & what can be done?