996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How is it the new M5 beats a 996TT, according to MotorTrend..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
Cerberus, sounds like fun. Is you TT a stock one? The fastest setting on the M5 will un-lock after 1st serives. P500"sport" with S6. I've run a stock TT with P500 and P500 sport, trush me, is a big different. A stock TT can kill a P500 M5 any day but not P500 sport. As I've mention above, stock TT and M5 is very close on rolling start. The V-10 has abit more on higher speed.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Haven't driven the new M5, but my 03 sure does feel like a torque monster. For an unmodded sedan, there are few that can compare.
So not just about HP and high revs.
While you certainly didn't deserve some of the condescending comments by some here, I can tell you as the owner of an E39 M5 for 4+ years it isn't a torque monster. The car was great at speed and I was always impressed how it could pull hard from 100+, but if you want to feel some torque, try AMG (supercharged or TT). I'm no AMG fan per say but those baby's pull. The big problem with NA engines is it takes big displacement to get torque near the HP numbers and I offer up Viper and Z06 as examples. Nothing wrong with high HP/low torque but you must drive it like you are mad at it to get results. I applaud BMW for sticking to their guns for so long and maybe the new wave of diesels will give them a way out without losing face. They still make the best sport sedans but comparing them to pure sports cars isn't right.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Haven't driven the new M5, but my 03 sure does feel like a torque monster. For an unmodded sedan, there are few that can compare.
So not just about HP and high revs.

I love BWM M Power. But to call it a torque monster is wishful thinking.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:16 PM
Cordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of lightCordonaviation is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Cerberus
I would bet a 996 turbo and the E60 M5 are relatively comparable at higher speeds.

Yesterday was a good day; I had the chance to run a E60 M5, E55k and my buddy's 730+ hp Renntech CL65. Where the heck is a Ford GT or Murci when you need one?

I did a quick roll (50-160) with the M5 and absolutely destroyed it. Afterwards, the owner said he only had 1500 miles and that the engine was not fully broken in and wanted a rematch. I said, "sure anytime"; thinking to myself that a few additional thousand miles are not going to make up for the 15 cars (at least) I put on him and yes, he was in the P500 mode.

When I ran the E55 (50-140) I came from behind and pulled by as quickly as I did to the M5. In fact, after the beating, I dropped below the speed limit and could not get the E55 owner to pull next to me for an encore or at least a cordial wave of defeat. I guess he thought I was a standard Carrera in his rear view mirror. I love destroying supercharged Benzes.

I have run 996 turbos in the past and they fell behind at about the same rate, so my guess is they (M5 and 996tt) are fairly similar. However, I would give the nod to the 996 turbo.
I know whose 996 Turbo your talkin about Sandy

Old 02-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Up On 3 Racing is infamous around these parts
Personally I think if we turbo charger ttgangsta's Razor scooter it'll blow the doors off the 996TT and the M5.

Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Up On 3 Racing
I agree, although Im a big fan of all the M cars the new M5 did not seem to feel as strong as a stock 996TT. Personally I think It looks better then it drives.
That's exactly what i though as well... But even same thing with my M3 even supercharged with over 500+ hp and 400 lb ft of torque +..

Thing is it pulls and pulls top end and you dont feel it, but your actually going real fast and climbing, i love those high revving motors, totally different feel than the turbo, but i agree, Turbo feels def. faster, M5's gearing and 7gears will take a stock tt over though despite the weight!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
I have heard that there is a difference between the US spec Launch Control and Euro. I could be mistaken though.

All of the video's were Euro M5's.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 PM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
There's a big difference between the US and Euro launch control - a lot of people are totally pissed off and putting a lot of pressure on BMWNA. In the US version it only launches at 1900rpm and there is no auto-upshift.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Schuepbach is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by limitup
There's a big difference between the US and Euro launch control - a lot of people are totally pissed off and putting a lot of pressure on BMWNA. In the US version it only launches at 1900rpm and there is no auto-upshift.
Wow US really gets the **** end of the stick. IIRC AdamT beat a 996tt at one of the vmax competitions in the M5.

Old 02-11-2006, 06:47 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Red Devil
While you certainly didn't deserve some of the condescending comments by some here, I can tell you as the owner of an E39 M5 for 4+ years it isn't a torque monster. The car was great at speed and I was always impressed how it could pull hard from 100+, but if you want to feel some torque, try AMG (supercharged or TT). I'm no AMG fan per say but those baby's pull. The big problem with NA engines is it takes big displacement to get torque near the HP numbers and I offer up Viper and Z06 as examples. Nothing wrong with high HP/low torque but you must drive it like you are mad at it to get results. I applaud BMW for sticking to their guns for so long and maybe the new wave of diesels will give them a way out without losing face. They still make the best sport sedans but comparing them to pure sports cars isn't right.
Well I had driven the E55 (02) whiahc was much less impressive than the M5. Have not had the time to test some of the recent supercharged beasts. I do have a 997 TT on order, wife wants my M5 as a handme down. Will the TT then classify as a torque monster, or only if I mod the hell out of it

Old 02-11-2006, 08:01 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Schuepbach
Wow US really gets the **** end of the stick. IIRC AdamT beat a 996tt at one of the vmax competitions in the M5.
Yes M5 in P500S mode is faster than a 996 X50. Trust me.

all the best
adam

Old 02-11-2006, 08:30 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AdamT

all the best
adam
Base turbo yes, X50 hell no

Old 02-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AdamT
No way.....

Old 02-11-2006, 01:28 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by osu s2k
Just got my recent motortrend issue and they have the quarter mile for the new m5 at high 12s around 113 mph. Can someone explain the ?"race"? that showed a stock 996TT getting spanked at the M5Boards a while back. Sorry if this is a repost.
Yea, but, I also saw 12.4 at like 116 in R/T mag which was almost the same time they had tested a 996 Turbo....

from R/T
Surprisingly, neither car feels as fast as their identical 4.1-second 0-60-mph times indicate, at least in real-world driving. Which is strange, because 4.1 is fast. Really fast. Faster than a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, every Aston Martin and the Bentley Continental GT. Equally impressive are quarter-mile times of 12.4 sec. (the few cars barely quicker include supercars such as the Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo and MurciĆ©lago and the Ford GT), the lighter — by 265 lb. — M6 showing a higher trap speed of 118.1 mph versus the M5's 115.8. Of note, we used BMW's Formula 1-like launch control mode (which won't be available in the U.S.) to achieve our best times; after you initiate the system, all that's required is to keep your foot to the floor — the computer manages wheelspin. But it's only good for a couple of launches before the clutch heats up and the system automatically shuts down.

Lou

Last edited by LSM; 02-11-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Cerberus is infamous around these parts
Just a little magazine bench racing

These are all from Motor Trend magazine:

M5 P500 Sport S6 (tested 3/06)
0 to 100: 10.0
1/4 mile: 12.9 @ 114.9

CLS55 AMG (tested 3/06)
0 to 100: 10.1
1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 113.6

996 Turbo X50 (tested 2/05)
1/4 mile: 11.86 @ 119.91

996 Turbo (tested 11/00)
1/4 mile: 11.9 @ 116

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How is it the new M5 beats a 996TT, according to MotorTrend..