996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Imagine Auto Sharktronic Powered By Zero Clearance Lowdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:15 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
That was the evening that Kevin introduced me to knife edging the crank and all kindsa other stuff. Both Kevin and Stephen are walking Porsche encyclopedias. I can't believe how easy they can take stuff apart on my car. You're right the cool thing is they share all of their information. They were even patient enough to let me work with them. Of course Kevin uninstalled one side of the turbos way way before I did

PS Thanks for the wine BTW, my wife said it was top notch.

Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 PM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Very cool to read Alex!!! Very nice work guys (Kevin, and Stephen). Looks like one hell of a car!!!
Evan

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I found a couple of the pictures....Here is the cooler installed. I am not sure if we have ones of it out of the car. What we used was a plate cooler. It carries a very high efficiency rate as the heat is exchanged via coolant. Envision a channel of ATF with a channel of coolant chasing the heat away. It doesn't require air to cool, rather coolant so it remained compact and able to be put in about any location. The pictures here are prototype versions. We will have the final mounts finished very soon. The system we developed for this required the factory line to replaced and fitted with a modified line that allowed AN fitting to be fitted and ran to the cooler. We used -6AN. The coolant line was then run around the original cooler and feed in series to the new cooler then allowed to return to the original cooler. The ATF also followed the same line of flow. The hardest part of this setup is the removal of the starter. You can't see the bolts and you can't feel them. Takes a good mind set to be able to get up in there and remove them. Ask Kev....The final version will include an adapter block that takes the original receptacle to the cooler and reroutes it to a block, the block then will carry the AN fittings to route over to the additional cooler. It should remove about 3 hours of install time off of the install. The pictures of the lines are the modified version.

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:21 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Feed ATF line

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:22 PM
This is the return line. We made these in house then I carried them on the plane. I was pulled aside a couple of times by security...This is the heart of the kit

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:26 PM
This is the picture of the left center switch panel form the center console. What looks like the original dummy switch is actually the master power for the CO2 system. the switch is a combination of a 928 mirror switch and the dummy pod. Don't ask, lots of errors before this was perfected. The purge switch was the rear wiper switch. Since it was no longer functional with the rear wiper gone I rewired the harness to purge the system

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:26 PM
Back of switch cover...

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Front caliper..

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Installed

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Alex should have pics of the battery...

Old 12-08-2003, 12:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Weight Mods

One of the draw backs of owning a tip is it's even heavier than the already chubby 6 speed. We knew we had to do a few things to lighten her up.

Out went the stock seats in favor of a pair of GT3 seats. We pulled out the rear seats as well, since the roll bar blocked all access to them anayways.

We replaced the stock hood with a CF unit, which shaved about 20-25 pounds. Whilst at the front we removed the spare, the tools and the rest of the junk and even took out the CD changer and catridge. The front is a great place to nuke some weight. We went with Chad's idea of the Oddessy battery (the 680) which is only 13 pounds and Stephen rigged it up on an upside down plate with a battery mounting kit drilled in to keep it there. You can get the next size up (about 25 pounds) which has a lot more power and causes less stress on the owner since we found this battery to be a bit on the weak side. It'll start the car but don't be leaving stuff on for any length of time or you'll drain it.

Towards the rear, we pulled the rear wiper motor and the wiper itself (all about 13 pounds) and plugged the whole with one of Eric's plugs. The car looks better that way anyways and in California I've yet to engage the darn thing anyways.

Some of the heavy sound deadening was also removed but not recommended if you've got a loud exhaust. That stuff is heavy for a reason- it works.

Incidentally the brake kit we installed also lightened things up significantly over the stock brake system. It's not quite as light as the ceramics but it's farily close. I'm sure Kevin has the exact specs on that.

We obviously saved weight by replacing a stock exhaust with a Fabspeed (which is actually part of the kit that Stephen sells). We could go even lighter (another 20 pounds by using the straight pipes).

Finally we're installing a new tail (I'll get pix), which is apparently the first run of a batch, which should lighten things up by another 25 pounds or so.

The K18Rs were actually a pound ligher all the way round than the K58s (already a light wheel) so that was a bonus.

Pix of all of this stuff to follow shortly.

All in all she was still a heavy pig at 3480 with a full tank of gas an a 175 pound driver.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:15 AM
After I've posted up the pix (just gotta find them all) of the above all stuff I'll talk a bit more about the...

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/media....0851418-009826

Old 12-08-2003, 07:37 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Way to go Shaky!!!

So much info I need time to digest. Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Sharky -- im confused on one thing though: do you have NOS in your car?? If so, where are you injecting it and how much?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Yes MSINDI, I have NOS on the car but not in the way you're thinking. I'll post an explaination in a bit. Stephen/Kevin would never allow us to slap NOS on to a 996TT As ghetto as I used to be, even I'm afraid to do that hehe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto Sharktronic Powered By Zero Clearance Lowdown