996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Imagine Auto Sharktronic Powered By Zero Clearance Lowdown

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ColorChange
Way to go Shaky!!!

So much info I need time to digest. Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure! Seriously, there's some cool stuff they did and too much to list/show but I'll try and post as much as a I can. Hopefully there are a few useful things for folks that want to dabble with mods.

No NOS!

Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Cooling/NOS

OK so there's been a few misconceptions about the car and NOS. Just to clear it up, there's no way we'd ever use NOS in the "domestic-way". Stephen/Kevin just don't believe it belongs on a 996TT and I'm too scared to even try it

Originally we did decide to install some extra cooling capabilities for the RMICs (rear mounted inter coolers). David in Virginia tipped us off on to a company called www.speednosis.com that sells a C02 kit which they went ahead and modified to suit the 996TT design, based upon David's specs in terms of lines etc..

The install was pretty easy, Joan and I pulled off the bumper and then plucked away at the IC assembly either side. Popped open the boxes and slotted in a spray bar either side. Now it's important to remember that you're working with airflow here so don't go the easy route and install them on the wrong side. Basically you want them to work with the airflow and not against so all your CO2 gets wasted. You should place them on the intake side (so you can't see them when you look at the slats) and not on the underside where the air as blowing out. The spray bars fit really well but we did use a couple of zip ties here and there. From each sway bar we ran a stainless steel braided line and cut a slit through the rubber bung on the corner of each IC assembly and then ran that through a grommet in the rear and to our dual-solenoid. From there on in Kevin/Stephen wired up the electronics and included a Greddy boost sensor to actuate the solenoid upon a certain amount of boost. We went for .5bar. The pictures Stephen showed you are his design and make the console/switches look stock so you'd never know.

The system was designed to use C02 as the cooling agent but as Kevin pointed out, Nitrous obviously a lower temp cooling agent so we went for that instead. He mounted the bottle in the rear passent seat (or the area) with a custom made bracket. It fits a 10 or 20 pound bottle just fine.

We don't know the actual benefits but being able tp purge manually before taking off and then spraying down the ICs whilst going 5 laps of button willow we barely went through a single 10 pound bottle and obviously kept the ICs much cooler, which does translate into more power.

Pix to follow.

Hope that clears things up? So no "nitrous" in a sense and the system is designed to work with either C02 or N20.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
I thought you really did it Sharky LOL
Cmon - where is that REAL NOS trigger??

Old 12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
LOL no way man... I've seen to many bent push rods thanks to NOS on an LS1 camaro to scare me off

Old 12-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Weight Mod Pix

Here are some of the weight mod pix that I talked about last night. Much of this part is easy to do and very needed I think

Here's the wiper plugged up in the rear. Looks better too.

The motor and rest of it came to like 15 pounds.

Here is Stephen getting his skinny-*** back into the car do wire up the NOS between a pair of GT3 seats and a roll bar. Nice one pal!

The 680 battery as I said last night is only 13 pounds but you might think about the next one up if you want to avoid having dead battery **** ups.

Here's CF hood number 3. Yes it savs you about 25 pounds but just be warned, the fitment can really be a PIA.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Here are pix of the NOS/C02 system going in. It fits pretty well and tight inside the IC shroud.

More...

And finally...

Also, I get my wife to install NOS since I have two left hands..

Old 12-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Less is More

One of the things that the boys really wanted to do was to smarten up the ghettoturbo and they did so with a less is more approach, which I thought turned out sweet.

Here's the IA Gauge cluster. It's cool how the red and white sides of the logo match up with the red and white rpms dial.

My rubber pedals were sagging like crazy (too much brake boosing...) so Stephen popped these guys in.

Now we knew the cars at the event would be pimped out with stickers but going along with the less is more approach we popped on these on the side:

And on the rear we used a lil' extra on the tail and Stephen's silhouette.

Last edited by sharkster; 12-08-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:49 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Sharky, way cool. 2 things, do you have any data on the improvements, and second, it doesn’t sound like it is really feasible for track use because you would need one big tank, right?

Old 12-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Red C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to beholdRed C5 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cooling/NOS

Originally posted by sharkster
OK so there's been a few misconceptions about the car and NOS. Just to clear it up, there's no way we'd ever use NOS in the "domestic-way". Stephen/Kevin just don't believe it belongs on a 996TT and I'm too scared to even try it

Old 12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
what do you mean by CF hood "number 3"??

Old 12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
God Sharky are you a riot. I love the duct tape around the insulation of your water heater. You kill me!

Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ColorChange
God Sharky are you a riot. I love the duct tape around the insulation of your water heater. You kill me!
Hehe you can take the duct tape out of the Porsche but you can't take the duct tape out of my house!

Old 12-08-2003, 03:53 PM
15 pounds up high on the car ... bye bye rear wiper!

Old 12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey man, seriously, I weighed the motor and the wiper itself. I actually believe it was 13 not 15? Sorry. I have to check my notes. Either way I was pleased with the results

Old 12-08-2003, 04:00 PM
You have to understand the ghetto from which I came from. It was no easy task for Stephen/Kevin to gentrify the car...

here lemme show you some examples from my friend's house when we did the original duct tape gauge install...

And finally...

Stephen's new unit looks of so much better and functions too
PS Post that pic again. I can't find it and can't take any pix just now since the car is at Bob's for some plastic surgery...

Last edited by sharkster; 12-08-2003 at 04:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto Sharktronic Powered By Zero Clearance Lowdown