996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Complete Cannonball Run Story!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:59 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
A lot of religious deficating going on down there in TX!!!!

Old 12-07-2003, 09:05 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Thats one of the best stories ever!!!
Can we make this a Sticky??

Old 12-07-2003, 09:39 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Just read the entire thread. Unreal!! Budman, you are quite the story teller, if it had happened to anyone else, I do not think it would be nearly as funny(sorry) or as well told. You are quite a character. I hope I can meet you someday and shake your hand. You are one crazy ****

Lou

Old 12-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Great story, BuddyG... glad nobody was hurt. I bet you won't be doing that again! M-16s... damn.

Reminds me of a time...
In July, my cousin-in-law and I flew out to LA to pick up his CL500. And as with you, made a pit stop in LV. The following day, we left LV to drive straight through to Chicago.

In addition to a V1, I am very good about scanning for cops. However, my cousin was new to the world of "cannonball runs". As he took over the driving duties around 4:30AM, I told him not to speed too much unless he had a "radar shield" (following a car at 1/4 mile). And how instant-on renders detectors useless if no cars are up ahead. I then passed out to catch some z's.

Well, after he took over, he started carving out the mountain passes, and shot to the speed limiter (130mph due to CL being a Cali-certified car) on the straights. I believe we were in utah when I felt the binders being suddenly applied. I opened my eyes to rollers in the mirrors.

Cop walks over, LAUGHING, and asked us where we were headed in such a hurry. He said that he clocked us twice because he thought his first reading of 128mph was an error. AFTER nailing the brakes, he still clocked the car at 110. He ended up writing us up for 110. Tix cost $4xx instead of the $6xx it would have been. He was pleasant enough of a trooper. No attitudes.

We ended up averaging 85mph between LV and Chicago... for those of you who haven't done it, it is not easy to average 85mph for extended trips (including stops, M16s, cops, toilets, etc).

Also reminds me of time when...
This past August, I made a road trip from Chicago to DC/Manhatten for a short vacation and wedding in my SL500. I was confident that I had spotted every speed trap along the entire trip... except for one.

Once in the 2-lane mountain passes in PA, I let it rip. There were no where for cops to hide, as I was between mountain and cliff for a while. As I came into a clearing, I see cops ahead. I slow to just above speed limit, and casually drove by. I see a trooper jump in his car to come after me... wtf. I was confused, but calmly asked him what seemed to be the problem... "our plane got you at 48mph over limit in the mountain", he tells me.

Tix cost ~$260, but no jail... thank goodness for the "Police Memorial" plates.

BTW, I pride myself as a very safe driver, and most my speeding is done with good judgement, with high-speed runs done on empty stretches with little/no cars. If there ever was a country that needs an autobahn, the good ole U.S. of A is it! Any law-makers and whips here?!?!?! Should we start a petition?!?!?!

I'd love to see an autobahn with special licenses for qualified drivers as well as licensing for cars.

Stephen
'01 Turbo

Old 12-07-2003, 10:15 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
[i]If there ever was a country that needs an autobahn, the good ole U.S. of A is it! Any law-makers and whips here?!?!?! Should we start a petition?!?!?!

I'd love to see an autobahn with special licenses for qualified drivers as well as licensing for cars.

Stephen
'01 Turbo [/B]
Man do I agree!!!

Take charge Stephen and start a grass roots movement towards this!!!! I will be first to sign.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:21 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
The problem in America is the terrible drivers we have here. Everyone stays in the left lane, never moves over, too many suv's, minivans and soccer moms. I wish there was a way though.

Lou

Old 12-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
That is why on the american autbahn you make the license cost 2k a year. No one with a ****ty car that shouldn't be on the road will want to go on it. Plus, what would be the point of someone with a ****ty car wanting to go on it? Bad drivers would be kept off the road with their bad cars. The test to get a license would be far more rigorous as well. In order to get the licesne your car must be up to par with the standards set. Mini Vans and such would be excluded. You make it very expensive and make it cost a couple grand a year to continue driving on it. I would pay 2k a year to drive as fast as I want on a long stretch of highway with no cars on it whenever I want to.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Hey I am a good sport what can I say! It is what it is and all you can do is laugh. I just need a good lawyer now to reduce this charge to a misdemeanor.

I will finish the story as well.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:30 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Day 6

Because the Tail of the Dragon is cancelled and there is a major snow storm coming to the East Coast. We decide to put Hani on a plane in Oklahoma City so he can beat the storm home. I drop him off at Will Rogers World Airport and start the rest of my 950 miles left solo.

From OKC I turn north to I44 East to head home. Blast through Tulsa make a stop in Missouri about 2 hours west of St. Louis. I decide that I need to recoup some more bail money and I will stop in St. Louis to gamble on the riverboat.

Get to St. Louis and head to the riverboat. Go to the blackjack table and put $500.00 down and immediately lose it all. Go to grab more money and the dealer says you can't get more until 6:30pm. I am like what the heck? State law you can only buy in $500.00 every 2 hours. This sucks! I said "That is a really stupid law because I just lost $500.00 and you guys could take me for a bunch more but I am leaving." He offers me a free buffett to kill the time and I decide to stay.

I come back throw down another $500.00 at a different table and I am down to my last $100.00. That's when the BUDMAN BLACKJACK system goes into effect and I began my comeback. By the time I am done I walk away with my original investment of $1000.00 plus $500.00 more. (I will be selling the BUDMANS BLACKJACK STRATEGY BOOK soon!)

So it has gotten kind of late and I am tired so I decide to bunk down in STL for the night. I fall asleep at 9pm and get up by 4am and hit the road again. I get back to Michigan and home at 11:30am Saturday and make it to my daughters basketball game and my sons basketball game.

In the end everything worked out good because I also make it to my company christmas party on Saturday night. My Dad would have been mad if I wasn't there seeing as it is a family business.

Anyhow that is my story and I am sticking with it, hope you enjoyed BUDMAN's excellent adventure!

Old 12-08-2003, 06:58 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Budman ... Oh my god is that funny. Talk about LOL

I'm laughing so hard I can't really come up with any come-backs. Just too damn funny. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:46 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
OK that thread is going into the 6speedonline hall of fame - wow Budman thanks for the good stories man!

Old 12-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Hossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant futureHossfly has a brilliant future
Great story.

I seriously doubt that the original trooper in TX that came after you was able to get your license plate. I imagine that the only info he had was red Porsche or possibly even just red "sports car." If you would have just played dumb and denied everything when you were stopped in Oklahoma, there is nothing they could have done. There are a gazillion red cars...only you knew that you were the one that they were after.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:04 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hossfly
Great story.

I seriously doubt that the original trooper in TX that came after you was able to get your license plate. I imagine that the only info he had was red Porsche or possibly even just red "sports car." If you would have just played dumb and denied everything when you were stopped in Oklahoma, there is nothing they could have done. There are a gazillion red cars...only you knew that you were the one that they were after.

the stickers on the car will not help him in this situation

Old 07-07-2005, 09:47 PM
tjmpb is infamous around these parts
I wasn't here back when 6speedonline started, but I've been going back to the beginning and going forward, and I've really been enjoying reading 2 year old posts on the 996tt (and others).

In honor of the upcoming 2 year anniversary of 6speedonline, I thought I'd bring back some Hall Of Fame worthy (or just favorite) posts. Buddyg's Cannonball Fun seemed like a good place to start.

Why don't some of you "oldtimers" go back and find some of your favorite posts?

Last edited by tjmpb; 07-07-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Budman,

That is without a doubt one of the if not THE story that I will always remember from this board.

You're ****ing crazy for outrunning the cop, and I'm sure that most of us on this board love you for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Complete Cannonball Run Story!