996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porting Heads and Larger Valves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:50 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincentdds
It's all about flow. The more air force into the combustion chamber the faster fuel burn the more torque at lower rpm.
I see you have shuffled pinned the case . You will also want to weld the cylinder head to prevent warpage and vibration.

The ultimate upgrade for you at this point would be replacing the heavy carillo rods with forged light weight Arrow Precion Rods customized to use with GT3R crankshaft. Wuth this combination the engine will rev much faster and up into 8500rpm range as seen in the GT3RS engine. Ultimately give you widest power band throughout rpm.
How are you going to rev to 8500 rpm's with turbo cams, lifters and cam housings?

Stick with the turbo cams and 7500 rpm's unless you want to spend alot more money. In addition to opening Pandora's Box with the required cams and ECU work.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm packing up my toys running a 10.5 and going home. Screw you guys and your valves, woosners and what nots lol!

Seriously Craig, what's gotten into you lately?! Stop talking to Alex. He's very corruptive and before you know it he'll be sending you bottles of NOS too!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
How are you going to rev to 8500 rpm's with turbo cams, lifters and cam housings?

Stick with the turbo cams and 7500 rpm's unless you want to spend alot more money. In addition to opening Pandora's Box with the required cams and ECU work.

Who said anything about $budget.
Pandoras box must be open for that 1Khp+goal.

Think GT3RS spec engine build for TT . This is the quest for the best racing engine for the street that money can buy.
Graig has obviously past the child play stage.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !

Think GT3RS spec engine build for TT . This is the quest for the best racing engine for the street that money can buy.
Oh without a doubt!!

Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

1Khp .............. EVOMS has already been there and done that. I believe without the bigger valves.

As for a GT3 turbo motor, few have successfully assembled and run one. More have bent intake valves trying. There is alot more to assembling/tuning these motors than you can imagine. It takes alot of money and alot more time. I've been working on it for two years and money isn't an object.

To make a simple point, why don't you tell us what cams you would use? This is not a trick question .............. abeit a very difficult and complex one. Don't forget the the 996tt cam won't rev to 8200/8500 rpms and the GT3 and turbo cams have the pointer markers located in different locations. The turbo has vario lift and timing. The GT3 doesn't use vario lift but uses vario timing. There are three different valve lenghts between the turbo, GT3 and GT3 Cup motors. In addition the timing advance is markly different on the turbo and GT3 ECU. To make matters worse, no one makes a cam for this application. Bottom line is the intake valves usually can't close fast enough to get out of the way in time.

We have solved all the above with a hugh expense of money and time.

Last edited by cjv; 02-24-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm packing up my toys running a 10.5 and going home. Screw you guys and your valves, woosners and what nots lol!

Seriously Craig, what's gotten into you lately?! Stop talking to Alex. He's very corruptive and before you know it he'll be sending you bottles of NOS too!
What's NOS?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
What's NOS?
It doesn't taste as good as the bottles in your cellar- that's for sure~!

Old 02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
1Khp .............. EVOMS has already been there and done that. I believe without the bigger valves.

As for a GT3 turbo motor, few have successfully assembled and run one. More have bent intake valves trying. There is alot more to assembling/tuning these motors than you can imagine. It takes alot of money and alot more time. I've been working on it for two years and money isn't an object.

To make a simple point, why don't you tell us what cams you would use? This is not a trick question .............. abeit a very difficult and complex one. Don't forget the the 996tt cam won't rev to 8200/8500 rpms and the GT3 and turbo cams have the pointer markers located in different locations. The turbo has vario lift and timing. The GT3 doesn't use vario lift but uses vario timing. There are three different valve lenghts between the turbo, GT3 and GT3 Cup motors. In addition the timing advance is markly different on the turbo and GT3 ECU. To make matters worse, no one makes a cam for this application. Bottom line is the intake valves usually can't close fast enough to get out of the way in time.

CJV,

It is quite obvious from my user id that I am no engine builder.
I merely mentioned that it would be a Quest to build such an engine.
That quest that would typical requires the securing of larger diameter lightweight exhaust valves, light weight intake valves and camshaft selections as well other challenges that a superb engine builder will need to overcome.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
cjv
CJV,

It is quite obvious from my user id that I am no engine builder.
I merely mentioned that it would be a Quest to build such an engine.
That quest that would typical requires the securing of larger diameter lightweight exhaust valves, light weight intake valves and camshaft selections as well other challenges that a superb engine builder will need to overcome.
All I'm trying to show is the large voids between some of the steps. My posts are in no way criticizing. If they came across that way I apologize.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Craig
One of the great benefits of this forum is the amazing wealth of knowledge among the members here and, equally important, their overwhelming willingness to share their knowledge and experience with others. I recently posted about my intent to do some head work. Several members contacted me and shared invaluable information and experience. In particular, I want to thank CJV, Markski and VRAlex for the information they shared with me regarding heads and valves. As a result of their insight (and some additional information I gathered), I have expanded my current project. Rather than simply porting and polishing my heads, I am going to increase the size of the exhaust and intake ports and have new larger valves custom made. According to folks much smarter than me (that would be most people here), this will enable me to generate more power using less boost (a good combination).

Thanks again guys for your contributions to my project.

Craig
You are welcome! The difference between this forum and all the others is that we stick together and help each other to better our cars instead of competing for the 'top dog' position!
As for the headwork, you will not be disapointed! My only other exhortation would be to bring your redline up as high as possiable (8200+RPM).

Good luck and I would love to get a ride once she is finished...

Sharky- Do not be alarmed, NOS for Craigs car is coming.....

Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Griza
I read through your modlist and did not see anything about a beefed up tranny other than the torque converter. I am just curious if you have done any tranny reinforcement to handle the massive amount of power you are putting down? Your car is INSANE!!!
The tranny is currently undergoing reinforcement. I will provide details shortly.

Craig

Old 02-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
You are welcome! The difference between this forum and all the others is that we stick together and help each other to better our cars instead of competing for the 'top dog' position!
As for the headwork, you will not be disapointed! My only other exhortation would be to bring your redline up as high as possiable (8200+RPM).

Good luck and I would love to get a ride once she is finished...
To the best of my knowledge, increasing the redline on a Tip is not possible because, regardless of how high the engine revs, the Tip computer will automatically shift the transmission at the OEM redline. Until someone figures out how to reprogram the Tip computer, I am stuck with the OEM redline.

You are first on the list for a ride!

Craig

Old 02-24-2006, 05:41 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Will EVO/Garret be writing a whole new program, just for your car, now that you've gone the extra mile with the heads?

Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 AM
aj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond reputeaj996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv

Uhh. . .Chad. . .I think it's been more than two years. I see Quaife is building one-off diffs now.

Did you type that you've solved the issues? Is KA online now?

Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Craig
To the best of my knowledge, increasing the redline on a Tip is not possible because, regardless of how high the engine revs, the Tip computer will automatically shift the transmission at the OEM redline. Until someone figures out how to reprogram the Tip computer, I am stuck with the OEM redline.

You are first on the list for a ride!

Craig
I talked to Todd (Protomotive) today, and he said that he would be willing to look at and re-program the factory transmission computer to shift higher...you should give him a call...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porting Heads and Larger Valves