996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EVOMS.com Prepped Race Car Hits Sebring!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Gilhart Racing is infamous around these parts
Bob,

It doesn't interfere with the AWD system at all, however I have the PSM and ABS disconnected. The only real need for the LSD on the AWD TT is for the track. I have a TT X50 street car that I've not and will not put a LSD in because the AWD system does a fantastic job for the street.

Last year I qualified without an LSD .5 second slower on the 3.7 mile Sebring course. The difference is that with the LSD I'm no longer overheating(spinning) the unloaded tire out of the tight corner's. The rear tires are holding up the entire race now.

Ari,

My mechanic(ex-Porsche Tech) was able to do the job fairly easily. The good news is that the diff can be installed w/o removing the engine or tranny. As far as streetable, this one's a little more track oriented than street. For example mine is more aggressive than a GT3/GT2 street car.

For the street and occasional tracking I'd spend your money on suspension tuning. I firmly believe we're going as fast as we are due to good overall car setup. Bolt-on a set of Motons, get a good alignment and corner balance, and be prepared to enjoy your car to the fullest!

Michael if you need the pads let me know, I have 1/2 worn pads your welcome to have.

I'll post a video next week of my qualifying lap with the LSD installed as well as the Q-Lap from last year w/o the LSD. You'll be able to hear and see the differences very easily.

Rick

Old 02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gilhart Racing
As far as streetable, this one's a little more track oriented than street. For example mine is more aggressive than a GT3/GT2 street car.
OMG!!!!

Gee, was it the full custom carbon fiber dash, Stage 4+, completely stripped, drive train work, etc. etc. etc. that gave away your car as a little more aggressive than a GT-2?

How did you stack up against Norm?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Tim,

I was referring to the streetability of the LSD (oops). As you and everyone else knows my car is for the track only.

Norm qualified a second faster and finished 40+ seconds ahead after the 30 min. race. His car is awesome and he drives it quite well as you know. 800 HP/2500 lb CF GT2, all business!

Hope to see you and your TT at the track this year.

Rick

Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I have driven Sebring but in a Formula Dodge race car not my tt.

I am thinking the LSD front and rear may not be a bad idea for my car as I cannot get full traction in second, spins wildly!

Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Buddy,

It sounds like your car is wicked fast!

The rear LSD was the answer for me, it completely got rid of the wheelspin. You should look into having this done. A friend/mechanic in Cincy did the work for me and it's performed flawlessly for the last 3-4 races. I think you would enjoy your car that much more with one installed.

I'm going down another road right now in trying to run the car in 2wd. The front diff/front axles/wheel carriers are coming out in favor of some GT2 carriers, etc. This car should be an absolute rocket with the additional weight loss, as far as handling goes we'll see.

Email me if you need any more specific info.

Rick

Old 02-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Damn Norm is going to be one tough SOB to catch isn't he? I would so love to sit in the right seat of both of your cars during a race. That must be a blast. Do you have any good video?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I'll have some video shortly. I've been working on the AWD to 2WD conversion the last few days and all parts have arrived. Now it's time to edit a little video.

I just bolted on the ceramic coated EVO K24 headers and look forward to testing them at Road Atlanta. I hope they perform as good as they look.

Rick

Old 02-28-2006, 09:31 PM
AWD
AWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud ofAWD has much to be proud of
Very nice setup you have there! Do you have any more pictures of your car by any chance? TIA

Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 AM
AWD,

Are you looking for something in particular? Inside or outside pics? I have plenty.

Rick

Old 03-01-2006, 08:34 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
It would really be fun to get a big group of 6 speeders together for some track event in the Midwest. Colorchange what events are you signed up for this year?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Buddy: I haven't put together my schedule yet for this year. I'll keep in touch as things get closer. I will be up at Gingerman for sure.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Tim,

If you like Gingerman you would love Grattan it is a much more interesting layout with off camber uphill turns, etc... Let me know it would be fun to run the same event!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Why don't you guy's sign up for the DE that's going on race weekend at Mid-Ohio. We'll be up there racing and you can enjoy the freshly paved track at their 2 day DE. The website link is below. Race registration has already opened.

http://www.morpca.org/main.htm

Rick