996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Error P0335

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 03:11 AM
Mr.Black is infamous around these parts
Error P0335

Good day! Sometimes there is a error , but it is not constant.The car starts to twitch and doesn’t go. I read the errors P0335.
I erased the error and it didn't appear for a long time.Then the car wouldn't start and twitch again, I read the errors: P0341, P1349, P0011, P0335. The errors I erased and the car went well ! What it can be? In our services can't help, they don’t know what it is......

Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
From googling those codes your problem looks to be the crank position sensor or one of the cam position sensors, likely bank 1. It could also be the hydraulic control solenoid for the cam. One of those.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:39 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mr.Black
Good day! Sometimes there is a error , but it is not constant.The car starts to twitch and doesn’t go. I read the errors P0335.
I erased the error and it didn't appear for a long time.Then the car wouldn't start and twitch again, I read the errors: P0341, P1349, P0011, P0335. The errors I erased and the car went well ! What it can be? In our services can't help, they don’t know what it is......
Have to agree with brnrdtns.

Most likely crankshaft position sensor. The persistent P0335 error code is the key. The other codes all result from the primary failure.

Have to ask any chance rodents have been at the wiring?

If the wring is undamaged my focus would be on the crankshaft position sensor I think. It is as sensors go pretty affordable and not too bad to get to based on my 2nd hand info.

A word of caution regarding the the sensor. The sensor is a hall effect sensor. It senses the upright teeth or tabs, and the gaps between them, of the ring on the flywheel whizzing past it. Generally the sensor can't be too far away and should not be at any risk of contact with the teeth/tabs of the ring.

Not sure if the sensor mount has some adjustment. If it does getting this right and ensuring the sensor does not loosen after it is properly installed/located is paramount.

I think I'd replace the sensor first. But as I mentioned above you must be sure it is installed correctly.

While a camshaft position sensor *could* be bad, or a VarioCam solenoid or even actuator bad (these last two items went bad in my 2002 Boxster), while the camshaft position sensor R&R may be on the order of what it would cost to replace the crankshaft position sensor the P0335 error points at the crankshaft position sensor.The solenoid and actuator are rather expensive items to replace (some few years back the parts alone cost $1500, with labor adding another $1500). To replace these the camshaft cover has to come off and the cams have to come out. There are a number of things that can go wrong: cam timing off; camshaft cover not installed properly which can result in external oil leaks -- bad enough but at least you know -- or internal oil leaks which you may not know about until later or when something wears out up top due to lack of proper oil flow and pressure.

Note whenever there is just one or more error codes the freeze frame data should be obtained. This is a snapshot of the engine's telemetry at the time of error code was determined but it also identifies the error code that prompted the collection of freeze frame data. This error code can generally be assumed to be the one that mostly likely points to the cause of the problem.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:50 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I'm pretty sure you can swap out the cam sensor easily, it is just right on top of the cover. You may also have a bad battery. 996 does all sorts of strange things when the battery is weak.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Is this sensor the cause of the problem?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:49 AM
That is the solenoid. You can swap it with the other side to check if the problem moves with it. The sensor is just above it to the left. Have your battery tested first. If thats not it then we can troubleshoot the sensors.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 AM
I was in the service. The car did not start. Error P0335. Not erased. Sounds like a crankshaft sensor malfunction?
Or are there more options?
Sensor not available, delivery month. There is no way to check.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:52 AM
That does seem like the crank sensor. The sensors and solenoids on the cams would not disable the car. 1 month wait? Is that because of the sanctions?

Last edited by brnrdtns; 08-09-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:28 AM
not a common model. dealer does not keep spare parts in stock