996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seized Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:43 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
If something like that goes down, I'd attempt to return the car to stock, reflash and all, prior to taking it to the dealer(new TT motor is 44k). The way in which the car was modified gives them a wide window to deny the claim.
I would wholehearted agree. You will be denied with your ECU mod for sure*

Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FAT-911
OK, this is for a friends car, not mine.

Driving along in 3rd gear at about 2600 rpm, the engine made some knocking sounds, the CEL started Flashing and the car lost all power to the point where it stalled and wouldn't fire up again.

Had the car towed to a local dealer and the dealer stated that the engine has seized due to running too lean on cylinder number 3.

He has just got extended warranty on the car as it is a 2004 model and just ran out of the original warranty, he has several mods including Intake, Fabspeed Exhaust and ECU Upgrade for K16 Turbos.

We haven't got any more info from the dealer yet as to whether or not they would cover this, can the dealer deny warranty based on the mods alone, is this something that happens to these motors, has anyone heard of this happening in the past, the car has about 12,000 miles on it.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.
The same exact thing happened to my STOCK 997S with 5000 miles. Service said it was the Solenoid cam or valve or something or another. Check the solenoid.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
This is not a bull**** post, why would anyone assume that, a seized engine in one of these cars is no joke.

The car is at the dealers now being pulled down and we will find out the reason very soon.

As for the ECU, I really can't say if these guys will warrant the engine due to it being modified, all I can say is we have to wait and find out what caused it.

BTW, I am not in the U.S and we only get two years warranty here with the option to pay $1300 USD to extend for another year.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
My bad. I assumed it was a US car. FAT911 has been on this board a long time. I apologize.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
This is not a bull**** post, why would anyone assume that, a seized engine in one of these cars is no joke.

The car is at the dealers now being pulled down and we will find out the reason very soon.

As for the ECU, I really can't say if these guys will warrant the engine due to it being modified, all I can say is we have to wait and find out what caused it.

BTW, I am not in the U.S and we only get two years warranty here with the option to pay $1300 USD to extend for another year.
Seizing a 996tt engine isn't possible due to leaning the number 3 cylinder. Like I said before, holes in the piston are a very real by product. If the engine is seized it is due to another reason ................ like lack of oil or water.

Not saying there isn't a problem ............. just another type of problem.

Last edited by cjv; 02-28-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned
Chad,

Water and Oil were checked and were at the right levels, I just spoke to the service guys and they have just printed out the ECU logs, I hope to have a copy in the next hour, hopefully this will shed some light and answer some questions.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:27 PM
variable is infamous around these parts
very curious as to what caused the problem, let us know

Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Chad,

Water and Oil were checked and were at the right levels, I just spoke to the service guys and they have just printed out the ECU logs, I hope to have a copy in the next hour, hopefully this will shed some light and answer some questions.
Fat-911,

I would be standing right there with a camera. For them to say what you relayed just isn't possible. Bearings and rings seize motors, not detonation on the piston dome. I would be concerned about anything they told me.

Last edited by cjv; 02-28-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by variable
very curious as to what caused the problem, let us know
Shall do I

Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Chad,

What type of ECU mod?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Shady, ****ty, oh contrar. What's shady is selling pccb brakes, advertised as race ready, then not warrantying them, or building junk trannies with brass synchro rings, or continuing to make the rms prone m96/7 motor,or not making a base 500hp 997tt, or a 355hp 's' with a 17k 25hp upgrade, or charging 150$ for seat crests and floormats, you see where I'm going. It's a game guys, us against them.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !SmoothCab Is a GOD !
^^Memo to self:^^ Never **** Doc off when he's got a scapel in his hand or something goes wrong with his p-car!!!! You just may loose your KAHONIES!!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Banned
OK, Update.

We have just been told that PCA (Porchse Cars Australia) will not honor the warranty as the modifications have boosted power beyong the manufacturers ability to provide warranty, in other works F@#K off because the car has been modified which is absolute bull**** because I suspect that something else failed to make this happen the way it happened.

As for what ECU mod it is, I don't thinks that this needs to be disclosed as I highly doubt that this would have caused this problem.

Should I get an independant report on this case, do I take it to court, what are your thoughts..TIA..

Old 02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
cjv
OK, Update.

We have just been told that PCA (Porchse Cars Australia) will not honor the warranty as the modifications have boosted power beyong the manufacturers ability to provide warranty, in other works F@#K off because the car has been modified which is absolute bull**** because I suspect that something else failed to make this happen the way it happened.

As for what ECU mod it is, I don't thinks that this needs to be disclosed as I highly doubt that this would have caused this problem.

Should I get an independant report on this case, do I take it to court, what are your thoughts..TIA..
First of all I believe you need to know what failed.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Banned
Chad,

All we have been told thus far is that the car was running too lean, this in turn melted the spark plug on cylinder 3 causing the seizure, they are also saying that the head would need to be replaced as a result of this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seized Engine