996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seized Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Bonkers!! The plug with a head the size of a dime will hold the whole motor from turning at what ever RPM it died at. LOL. That really is funny. This would be the forst time I had ever heard or seen this...and I have built a lot of motors!!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned
FAT-911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by timf
Seems to me your 'friend' probably had a '04 GT640 and got a little carried away.
If so, can't say I'm suprised warranty was denied - no matter what the root cause.

Makes me have secind thoughts about modifying my turbo - maybe I'll just wait till it's out of warranty.
In any event good luck.
Thanks for the well wishes, the GT640 is my car and it has been put through the paces 100 times harder than what this car in question has copped, it is a friends car, I don't need to lie on a public forum in any case.

Don't have second thoughts on any modification, this is a result of a Porsche F-Up, I highly doubt it was caused by any mods, the car was travelling at low speeds when this occurred, you would expect that if this was to happen on a track after a huge day but not at legal cruising speeds.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Any mods to a warrantied car in Tampa Florida voids warranty completely, that would include any one of the mods, the ECU, intake, or even the exhaust. I was told if the cats were changed to the 100 cell type it would cause the turbo to spool faster and this is not how the engine was designed and would void the warranty!
As an aside, it would be nice to know how much and how long boost was running on this engine... I feel comfortable with up to 1.2 spikes but more than that may be more than these engines can take.
However, what would the actual damage be if it were due to over boost?

I would like to see the autopsy results so at least we know the cause of death!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Fat-911

you have a PM :-)

Old 02-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by timf
you have a PM :-)
Right back at ya :-)

Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
EXPLICIT is infamous around these parts
An ecu can quite possibly be a cause. If the tune mixture is running slightly lean, or overzealous timing is in place, slight (persistant)detonation on heavier loads will hurt the bearings over time, destroy a ring land or even pop a piston. Too many variables at this stage, but, if the tune is a solid one which i'd say it is, 'sounds' like a fueling problem of some sort - which can come down to injector, fuel reg or fuel pump. Alas as with any car manufacturer as soon as you fiddle they pull the pin on ANY liability. Read the warranty schedule fine print, not good news im sure

Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by FAT-911
OK, Update.

We have just been told that PCA (Porchse Cars Australia) will not honor the warranty as the modifications have boosted power beyong the manufacturers ability to provide warranty, in other works F@#K off because the car has been modified which is absolute bull**** because I suspect that something else failed to make this happen the way it happened.

As for what ECU mod it is, I don't thinks that this needs to be disclosed as I highly doubt that this would have caused this problem.

Should I get an independant report on this case, do I take it to court, what are your thoughts..TIA..
...Sir, whomever would take their TT with quite possibly very major and expensive engine damage to the dealership with all the aftermarket mods still in place (reflash programmed in full effect) and then be surprised or pissed at PORSCHE for not honor the warranty is a f*cking moron. What were you thinking Mcfly!!

Like SurgeonC4S stated, you should of taken the gear/mods OFF before they saw/documented the car...they would of eatin' YOUR problem(s)...now YOU (or your friend) has to eat it.

Last edited by Kevin D; 02-28-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Kevin D
...Sir, whomever would take their TT with quite possibly very major and expensive engine damage to the dealership with all the aftermarket mods still in place (reflash programmed in full effect) and then be surprised or pissed at PORSCHE for not honor the warranty is a f*cking moron. What were you thinking Mcfly!!

Like SurgeonC4S stated, you should of taken the gear/mods OFF before they saw/documented the car...they would of eatin' YOUR problem(s)...now YOU (or your friend) has to eat it.
Hey, take it easy there sizzle neck! Who the hell are you calling a Moron?

If you knew the situation you wouldn't make unjustified comments, where we are from we don't have the luxury of choosing where we take our cars, you guys have dealerships everywhere, we don't, the dealer knows the car and has known the car from new including all the modifications before this problem came about.

Also, the fault could be engine failure, if this is the case then it would be claimed under warranty.

Watch your words in future, all this name calling is un-called for.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 AM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts

Man, I know I'm sorta a Noobie here but that was very uncalled for. It was nothing more than bad luck what happened here. Careful that you're Turbo motor doesnt go KABOOM when it's out of warranty.

FAT, I hope everything works out!

Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Hey Kevin D, sorry to say, but you were kinda out of line on this on this one. I had my local Porsche dealer install (through Evoms) my GIAC ECU upgrade and V-Flow. I was assured since they were an Evoms authorized installer I would never have any problems. Ask Nate from Evoms...he did my reflash. Luckily for me no problems except for the spark plugs (wrong heat range in 01's) and cleaning of the MAF(pre non-oiled filter)...and almost a year with absolutely no issues.
Now in defense of your statement, if the programming was some off the wall wannabe tuner trying to reprogram an ECU, and was not known...I can fully understand your statement. Only reason I say this is because we have no idea who did the ECU upgrade.

And if my car died on the road today...trust me I would not be trying to put factory parts on. I would do like anyone else and get it towed to a dealer.
Sorry just my thoughts on this....hopefully it is no fault of any mods, and Porsche will fix this guys car. If it was you, you would not want to be called a moron for doing mods to enjoy your car more. Sorry to rant.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:21 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Man, I know I'm sorta a Noobie here but that was very uncalled for. It was nothing more than bad luck what happened here. Careful that you're Turbo motor doesnt go KABOOM when it's out of warranty.

FAT, I hope everything works out!

Jeez...great minds think alike!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
Go to a different Porsche service center with your mods replaced. They will have no way of knowing about this. PCA would not notice it and neither would the service rep. Just be casual about it. Trust me.

U have PM.

Last edited by TheJudge; 03-01-2006 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by TheJudge
Go to a different Porsche service center with your mods replaced. They will have no way of knowing about this. PCA would not notice it and neither would the service rep. Just be casual about it. Trust me.

U have PM.
Judge, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated, good luck with your adventures.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:33 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by EXPLICIT
An ecu can quite possibly be a cause. If the tune mixture is running slightly lean, or overzealous timing is in place, slight (persistant)detonation on heavier loads will hurt the bearings over time, destroy a ring land or even pop a piston. Too many variables at this stage, but, if the tune is a solid one which i'd say it is, 'sounds' like a fueling problem of some sort - which can come down to injector, fuel reg or fuel pump. Alas as with any car manufacturer as soon as you fiddle they pull the pin on ANY liability. Read the warranty schedule fine print, not good news im sure
Explicit, definate agree with part of this, If the car was runing lean it will fry the plug or blow the piston, this would never cause it to seize up! I have seen many pistons with hundreds of pin holes (Top of piston) where detonation has occured and pistons where the sides have been blown out (around ring area) The main cause to detonation is lean mixture, wrong octane. I would love to see the piston if this is the case!, but the bottom line is the car would just not run. My first port of call would be ECU for sure! Hope you get this sorted, and would love to know the outcome!

Old 03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Just a point! you said in your first post: "the car lost all power to the point where it stalled and wouldn't fire up again"

Did the car lock up, or just die?

Would it turn over?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seized Engine