996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

bad turbo crash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 03:18 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
bad turbo crash

COSTA MESA — The driver of a new Porsche died late Tuesday when he lost control of the sports car while apparently trying to catch a car that had passed him on the Costa Mesa (55) Freeway, the California Highway Patrol reported today.

The Porsche, so new it didn’t have license plates, went down an embankment onto the San Diego (I-405) Freeway and zipped across all the southbound lanes into the center divider, investigators said. The driver was ejected and killed, even though he was wearing a seatbelt.
The victim hasn't been identified yet, but is believed to be a 23-year old man, possibly from San Diego.

Investigators are trying to determine if a race was in progress when the crash occurred and whether the driver knew the driver of a black car the Porche was chasing, CHP Officer Denise Quesada said.

The incident began at about 10 p.m. on the northbound lanes of the 55 when the new Porsche was passed at more than 100 mph by a small black car, witnesses told the CHP. The Porsche's driver then appeared to try to catch the car that passed him and lost control when traffic slowed near the 405 interchange, they told the CHP.

It's unknown how fast the Porsche was traveling.
Quesada said it slammed into a guardrail, ripping it from its posts, rolled down an embankment, then went airborne onto the southbound 405. The Porsche crossed the southbound 405, possibly hitting a 1993 Toyota Corolla driven by an Anaheim woman. She told officers she felt an impact and lost control of her car. She received minor injuries.

The Porsche then hit the 405’s center divider, and the driver flew out of his seatbelt onto the northbound 405, where he was hit by several cars, Quesada said. He was decapitated and died at the scene.

"I called 911 and said you have an accident in the southbound lane but the body is in the northbound lane," said Adam Swain, a motorist driving home to Huntington Beach after a softball game. "I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Cadillac run over the body.
"The body had no head, it freaked me out. I couldn’t sleep all night."

Old 07-23-2003, 03:23 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
actually I don't know if it was a turbo or not. Still sad though

Old 07-23-2003, 03:36 PM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
That's got to be the worst accident I've heard of in a long time. Need to respect the power of these machines.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:54 PM
Parker is infamous around these parts
reality check for sure.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:39 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
That is incredibly sad...though somewhat sickening and states the obvious:

"e was decapitated and died at the scene"

poor man...

Old 07-24-2003, 07:45 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
sorry double post

Last edited by AdamT; 07-24-2003 at 07:51 AM.