996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Roadtrips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i hate you!

i wanted to drive around the country this year (SF -> Tx -> Fl -> Boston -> Toronto -> Chi -> Seattle -> SF) but i didn't quit my job

- chuck

Old 03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
This summer my dad I and are driving our 996 cab down to palm beach with my dad's friend and his son (my age) in their 996 coupe. I can't wait!

Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Johns is infamous around these parts
is that the wooden bridge from beatle juice

Old 03-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Awsome thread! Great pictures BKing!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
bking is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by carendt242
i hate you!

i wanted to drive around the country this year (SF -> Tx -> Fl -> Boston -> Toronto -> Chi -> Seattle -> SF) but i didn't quit my job

- chuck
Chuck, don't quit your job, those things come in handy. My car leaves Vegas sometime in spring, and may not get home til late summer. I'll drive for 3 to 5 days. Then park it at a secure, covered location, some airports, sometimes I rent a ministorage unit, the good Porsche Doctor in Lenexa, Kansas kept it for me a couple times. I'll fly home, work some, then fly back and continue the trip. It's no fun around my place anymore. We don't have stuff like this:

Colorado 133, somewhere around McLure Pass, and a town called Marble. While most of us pay a fortune for this stuff, floors, countertops, sculpture etc, these people stack chunks of it up for fences and pile it up in empty lots like so much trash.

82 East out of Aspen...right up there with the most stunning mountain drives I've found. The road narrows with rock wall on one side, cliff on the other so much there is no center strip. And right about there I passed one truck and one suv arguing over who was going to pay for who's side mirrors, both a little worse for the wear.

82 con't. I want to express my appreciation for those green sticks with the little yellow flashy things that protect us from a terrible fate...

Old 03-02-2006, 08:30 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Great pics! How do you keep it so clean on the road?

Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by fdb996c2
Great pics! How do you keep it so clean on the road?
You take your little bucket and your sea sponge with you, else it ends up like this:

Jackson Hole, by the way.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Hah! That's how mine usually looks on a road trip.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bking
Scott, here's a picture of 550 heading south into Ouray, Colorado...this is the ugly part down in the valley. You climb right up the face of the mountain ahead...then it gets spectacular!

I need to do that road, it is now on my list of must do's. Glad to see there is someone else out there that truely enjoys the open road.

Here's some pics from our Trip in January. As mentioned we started in D.C. and came to So Cal. We picked our route as we went, were only on the main hwy (40) inbetween texas and new mexico because there wasn't much of a choice. But other then that the whole thing was done on 2 lane roads. We had a lot of time to spare so we'd go completely out of the way for the hell of it. All said and done I think we covered a tad over 4500 miles. Started in Northern VA -> West VA -> Ohio -> KY -> TN -> Miss -> MO -> AR -> OK -> TX -> NM -> CO -> UT -> AZ -> NV then home to cali. This is the 3rd time we've gone cross country but the first time we've really done it slowly.

http://www.reflections-detailing.net...rip%20Resized/

I'm really glad we enjoy this and are still young. All my friends look at us like we are absolutely nuts. They can't understand why we'd want to be out exploring the back roads of the country. But when they grow up they'll understand why, and by then we will have covered most of it

You are my new idle, my wife and I always dream about doing something in a cool car (we've done a few in my dads vette, but the cross country stuff was done in her accord or old acura since she was moving back and forth) but we always dream about doing it in a turbo. Now that I just bout an 06 GTO we'll do a bunch of traveling in that. We've already done a few local things in the month I have it, and miles are racking up (just hit 3K in 40 days of ownership). How many miles on your turbo?

And definately subscribe to that mag, some issues don't tell you much, but it's great bathroom material!! and BTW, got any good road trip books your recommend? I have a bunch but am always looking to add some more.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 03-02-2006 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
I need to do that road, it is now on my list of must do's. Glad to see there is someone else out there that truely enjoys the open road.

Here's some pics from our Trip in January. As mentioned we started in D.C. and came to So Cal. We picked our route as we went, were only on the main hwy (40) inbetween texas and new mexico because there wasn't much of a choice. But other then that the whole thing was done on 2 lane roads. We had a lot of time to spare so we'd go completely out of the way for the hell of it. All said and done I think we covered a tad over 4500 miles. Started in Northern VA -> West VA -> Ohio -> KY -> TN -> Miss -> MO -> AR -> OK -> TX -> NM -> CO -> UT -> AZ -> NV then home to cali. This is the 3rd time we've gone cross country but the first time we've really done it slowly.

http://www.reflections-detailing.net...rip%20Resized/

I'm really glad we enjoy this and are still young. All my friends look at us like we are absolutely nuts. They can't understand why we'd want to be out exploring the back roads of the country. But when they grow up they'll understand why, and by then we will have covered most of it

You are my new idle, my wife and I always dream about doing something in a cool car (we've done a few in my dads vette, but the cross country stuff was done in her accord or old acura since she was moving back and forth) but we always dream about doing it in a turbo. Now that I just bout an 06 GTO we'll do a bunch of traveling in that. We've already done a few local things in the month I have it, and miles are racking up (just hit 3K in 40 days of ownership). How many miles on your turbo?

And definately subscribe to that mag, some issues don't tell you much, but it's great bathroom material!! and BTW, got any good road trip books your recommend? I have a bunch but am always looking to add some more.
Scott, great trip. So you got to Durango, you were 160? The best part of 550 is between there and Ouray.
I'm with you that many folks don't see the attraction. I met a widow selling apples in Summer Hill, Illinois, a spot where two roads cross, with four buildings, one on each corner. Her husband made her promise not to sell the orchard. He said she could pick the apples each year and sell them and have money to pay her taxes. She has some kids, they've all built homes on the family property, I don't remember anything about them, I won't forget her.
That doesn't happen, except on the road.
I've got about 57,000 miles on this thing. I'll get the 997 once the first year rush calms down some. There is simply no better road car. It's got room (a four seater!), all wheel security, built to put miles on it...and it's a blast.
This is my last black one though. I'm thinking white.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Bruce

Excellent pics as always. That looks so much fun.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 AM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bking
Chuck, don't quit your job, those things come in handy. My car leaves Vegas sometime in spring, and may not get home til late summer. I'll drive for 3 to 5 days. Then park it at a secure, covered location, some airports, sometimes I rent a ministorage unit, the good Porsche Doctor in Lenexa, Kansas kept it for me a couple times. I'll fly home, work some, then fly back and continue the trip. It's no fun around my place anymore.
i have to say - that is ingenious...

- chuck

Old 03-03-2006, 01:57 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Fantastic pictures. I'm so jealous.
Seriously im jealous of the pics, car and your road trips haha, i would love to start taking some road trips!!

Old 03-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Bruce

Excellent pics as always. That looks so much fun.
Vincent, thanks. I see these guys on this site and others that really know how to get a good shot, I'm jealous, but too lazy to learn. My secret? Quantity (thanks to digitall photography). and one's bound to turn out.
Have you made you Lake Powell arrangemnents? The northwest is spectacular, but cruising up the Grand Canyon is like nothing else on earth. A view from the top headed up lake:

The high dive:

Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
***grabs jaw from the floor***
Any chance you could email me some of those pictures in high resolution? The first one on hw1 is perfection ...
Doing trips one bit at a time is really clever ... one of those "that's so simple ... why haven't I thought about it earlier? ... "
Please don't stop posting pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Roadtrips