996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Water meth injection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2020 | 11:22 AM
|
Registered PM
Noggy996 is infamous around these parts
Water meth injection

Guys

Bit of advice if I may. I’ve purchased the Snow performance stage 2 kit with progressive injection from a set point.

My car is running k16/24 turbos (soon to be billets) with 750cc injectors at 1.4 bar with GT2rs intercoolers and 200cel Cats.

I’ve used water meth previously in a sport quattro, Aquamist, so I’m not unfamiliar with it.

My question, getting to the point, should I use 50/50 and get it tuned for it or just use water to aid cooling. The idea when I purchased it was just for hot summers days when you can feel the sharpness in power fall off due to temps.

I’m not that keen on tuning it for the 50/50 mix as I believe the closed loop fuelling should do exactly that, stay closed loop without a 3rd party introducing fuel + I’ve had blocked jets before.

So I’m kind of on the path of stick with the well refined following many data logged Markski tune and just introduce the water on hot days.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Old 05-14-2020 | 06:44 AM
kamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to allkamlung is a name known to all
i'd also like to know where you end up with this... i was also considering the same just water injection to cool on hot days... wouldn't impact tune much rather than prevent the heat from pulling timing...

Old 05-17-2020 | 12:17 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Noggy996
Guys

Bit of advice if I may. I’ve purchased the Snow performance stage 2 kit with progressive injection from a set point.

My car is running k16/24 turbos (soon to be billets) with 750cc injectors at 1.4 bar with GT2rs intercoolers and 200cel Cats.

I’ve used water meth previously in a sport quattro, Aquamist, so I’m not unfamiliar with it.

My question, getting to the point, should I use 50/50 and get it tuned for it or just use water to aid cooling. The idea when I purchased it was just for hot summers days when you can feel the sharpness in power fall off due to temps.

I’m not that keen on tuning it for the 50/50 mix as I believe the closed loop fuelling should do exactly that, stay closed loop without a 3rd party introducing fuel + I’ve had blocked jets before.

So I’m kind of on the path of stick with the well refined following many data logged Markski tune and just introduce the water on hot days.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

Darren
I had the same question before adding my Aquamist system last year. I already run a 100oct tune and I run the appropriate fuel 100% of the time. I added the system just to support consistent performance on hot days. I run 997-GT2RS IC's but on hot days I definitely felt a drop in power. I was moving from Northern California to Florida and I knew heat would be an issue. I have an IAT gauge to monitor temps and the meth setup actually lowers intake air below ambient temps and on the hottest days of the Florida summer performance was not affected one bit.
I wouldn't use it to permit higher boost/timing settings in a tune because then you are pushing limits that could have a serious detrimental impact under the wrong conditions. I am not comfortable with that risk but that's just me. I love the system and I wish I had added it years ago. It adds a level of safety if I can't get 100oct fuel and also provides the best performance your tune can no matter how hot it is outside. Also, a 5 gallon pail of methanol lasts a LONG time under normal driving conditions especially if you are running 50/50. I personally run 70% methanol / 30% distilled water and I can literally watch the intake air temps drop when the throttle is opened. Boost remains consistent at 1.5 bar where in the past it would drop to 1.3-1.4 bar when heat soak started after a few miles of aggressive driving.
Good luck with your install.

Old 05-17-2020 | 02:07 PM
|
Registered PM
Thanks for the reply, thats really helpful. Has adding the 70/30 mix without a tune not raised your fuelling to high?

I too don’t really want to adjust the tune for it but I would have thought adding the mix you’ve mentioned would make the mixture too rich and dampen the performance? The worry being is you then adjust the tune and become reliant on it.

Have to have a play I guess, may just try water alone and see what it does.

Thanks again.

Darren.

Old 05-18-2020 | 12:19 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
I'm interested in this as well.

Living in CA gives only access to 91 octane **** grade fuel. I'm looking to increase the safety margins with increased power and boost. To minimize timing pulled on hot or enthusiastic drives. I've got 1000cc injectors and am tuned for 1.2-1.3 bar. Not looking to go beyond that, but like others here, just want to increase the safety margins. Perhaps using water alone?

Old 05-18-2020 | 12:46 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the reply, thats really helpful. Has adding the 70/30 mix without a tune not raised your fuelling to high?

I too don’t really want to adjust the tune for it but I would have thought adding the mix you’ve mentioned would make the mixture too rich and dampen the performance? The worry being is you then adjust the tune and become reliant on it.

Have to have a play I guess, may just try water alone and see what it does.

Thanks again.

Darren.
Using a mixture of water/meth just permits additional timing/boost due to the anti-detonation effects introduced by cooling the compressed intake mixture. When someone runs a tune that relies on this effect to achieve higher HP numbers they are putting their faith in the safety systems provided by the meth kit manufacturer. There's nothing wrong with doing this; I just chose not to. If your ECU is pulling timing on a hot day or after heat-soak a meth injection setup is primarily designed to combat the performance degradation this causes. If you stick with the tune you've got adding 50/50 methanol injection is actually a great way to prevent detonation and the resulting damage it can cause. Don't run 100% water - 50/50 is just right for this application. I just run a higher percentage of methanol in the summer because it is very hot and humid here in the summer. 70% methanol spray isn't making the mixture rich, just adding a bit more cooling effect.

Old 05-18-2020 | 01:09 PM
|
Registered PM
Originally Posted by mrmaass
Using a mixture of water/meth just permits additional timing/boost due to the anti-detonation effects introduced by cooling the compressed intake mixture. When someone runs a tune that relies on this effect to achieve higher HP numbers they are putting their faith in the safety systems provided by the meth kit manufacturer. There's nothing wrong with doing this; I just chose not to. If your ECU is pulling timing on a hot day or after heat-soak a meth injection setup is primarily designed to combat the performance degradation this causes. If you stick with the tune you've got adding 50/50 methanol injection is actually a great way to prevent detonation and the resulting damage it can cause. Don't run 100% water - 50/50 is just right for this application. I just run a higher percentage of methanol in the summer because it is very hot and humid here in the summer. 70% methanol spray isn't making the mixture rich, just adding a bit more cooling effect.
Thanks, kits nearly installed so I’ll have to have a play. I’m surprised you’re not seeing a change in AFR with a 70% mix, must be running a really small jet.

the Aquamist system I ran on my sport quattro settled on a .5mm jet and it had a dramatic effect on fuelling at 50/50. Ended up at 5% mix which was a good balance between cooling effect and going not going to rich on the mixture. Again I didn’t want to adjust the tune and become reliant on it, as you say.

Not looking at gaining power, just protecting what I’ve got...

Last edited by Noggy996; 05-18-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2020 | 01:34 PM
Thanks, kits nearly installed so I’ll have to have a play. I’m surprised you’re not seeing a change in AFR with a 70% mix, must be running a really small jet.

the Aquamist system I ran on my sport quattro settled on a .5mm jet and it had a dramatic effect on fuelling at 50/50. Ended up at 5% mix which was a good balance between cooling effect and going not going to rich on the mixture. Again I didn’t want to adjust the tune and become reliant on it, as you say.

Not looking at gaining power, just protecting what I’ve got...
.5mm? I'm running a pair of 1.2mm jets tapped into my Y-pipe. My AFR gauge (I have a separate wideband o2 sensor in each exhaust pipe feeding a multi-gauge setup in the dash) has not shown any change in AFR readings from idle to prolonged full throttle conditions. Of course, at idle there is no spray occurring but at wide open throttle when the Aquamist gauge shows full bars AFR readings are right where they should be. Plugs look good and I never even see a hint of black smoke.
I'm no expert by any means, but I did do a lot of research last year when I was still in the fence about adding methanol and I followed Aquamist's recommendations for jet sizes based on my engine's output. I also adjusted the settings for the sensors on the AM kit to activate the spray at the appropriate injector flow rate/duty cycle and followed their install instructions and testing procedures to the letter. The first time I took the car out on a hot day I could immediately tell it was doing it's job. It ran like it was 50 degrees F outside on a 90 degree day and that didn't change once it was driven hard for a while.
I think you will be very happy with your new addition once you experience your first drive with it dialed-in.

Old 05-18-2020 | 01:38 PM
|
Registered PM
Originally Posted by mrmaass
.5mm? I'm running a pair of 1.2mm jets tapped into my Y-pipe. My AFR gauge (I have a separate wideband o2 sensor in each exhaust pipe feeding a multi-gauge setup in the dash) has not shown any change in AFR readings from idle to prolonged full throttle conditions. Of course, at idle there is no spray occurring but at wide open throttle when the Aquamist gauge shows full bars AFR readings are right where they should be. Plugs look good and I never even see a hint of black smoke.
I'm no expert by any means, but I did do a lot of research last year when I was still in the fence about adding methanol and I followed Aquamist's recommendations for jet sizes based on my engine's output. I also adjusted the settings for the sensors on the AM kit to activate the spray at the appropriate injector flow rate/duty cycle and followed their install instructions and testing procedures to the letter. The first time I took the car out on a hot day I could immediately tell it was doing it's job. It ran like it was 50 degrees F outside on a 90 degree day and that didn't change once it was driven hard for a while.
I think you will be very happy with your new addition once you experience your first drive with it dialed-in.
Thanks, I’ll keep you posted. 💪

Old 05-19-2020 | 04:19 PM
LinwoodM is infamous around these parts
I ordered an AEM kit today. Just moved to San Antonio, and it is hot as **** here. Cannot wait to get this boy installed....

Old 05-20-2020 | 08:12 PM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
I’m installing the AEM kit right now. The installation is almost done, the tank is mounted, electrical done, both the meth and boost pressure lines are run to the engine bay.

I’m looking for advice of where to T the boost pressure line. I’m assuming (since the instructions say tap into manifold pressure), I have to tee the line pre-throttle body.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 05-21-2020 | 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Sourcerock
I’m installing the AEM kit right now. The installation is almost done, the tank is mounted, electrical done, both the meth and boost pressure lines are run to the engine bay.

I’m looking for advice of where to T the boost pressure line. I’m assuming (since the instructions say tap into manifold pressure), I have to tee the line pre-throttle body.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Most installs I've seen (and the way I did mine) you run the larger line from the front tank to the engine compartment and T it fairly close to the Y pipe. I ran the main feed line down the drivers side next to the other hard lines that run from the trunk to the engine compartment and put the T in near the airbox. The jets are each equidistant from the center of the Y-pipe where it joins the throttle body and have a short section of tubing fed from the T. I secured everything with zip ties.
Another thing I did was to place the feed tube inside a section of fuel line at all sharp bend points and anywhere there is contact with the body to prevent kinks and wear that could result in long term reliability issues.
Let us know how the first drive goes!