996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need advise lowering my 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 09:10 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
I only wish for more adjustability. My H&Rs do well but are a bit low, even with the custom spacers. I am on my 5th front aero lip in 4 years. I would like to be able to turn the ride height up a bit between track days and have adjustable damping to play with. H&Rs also go well with a set of Ebach sways, toe links, some solid thrust bushings in the rear and Bob's your uncle.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:30 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^ i get that. i think i'm on my second set? the springs will lose their resiliency over time and have been known to "sag". but a small price to pay for those that require taut suspension absent the adjustability ( and cost ) of a proper coilover setup. i've almost put the oem gt3 set on twice, then decided it was just not "necessary".

as to other options, i've just never felt any compelling need to fiddle with adjustable ride given the cars daily usage. unless of course rome is suddenly burning.

oh wait.

Old 08-17-2020, 11:19 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
I currently have the Bilstein/H&R spring setup. It's ok. Definitely far better than stock, but the ride height is a little too low and the ride is a little too jarring sometimes. All while not staying as flat in the corners as I'd like (though I'm on stock sway bars). I'm probably going to upgrade to the Ohlins R&T coilovers soon.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
Put some sway bars on before upgrading to the Ohilns. i did it in steps and the Eibach sway made a big difference all by themselves.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
Put some sway bars on before upgrading to the Ohilns. i did it in steps and the Eibach sway made a big difference all by themselves.
Yea, I'm probably going to do that shortly. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2020, 03:17 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I researched this for about a year before making a decision. I finally went with KW V1. I bought some H&R lowering springs, but never installed them. I also nearly bought PSS10s, then decided I didn't want all the adjustments, and I'd be happy with just ride height.

I don't track and don't particularly want adjustable compression and rebound dampening adjustments, although I am familiar with them and know how to set up a vehicle for different conditions. I want simple, and I got it with the KW kit. I've tried about 3 different ride heights and even played with lowering the front a bit more than the rear to increase rake angle. I did make up some adjustable rear upper dog bones to aid in the camber adjustment I wanted for maximum rear tire wear, and it worked very well.

I originally went lower than GT3, which looked great, handled great but too low to keep my front spoiler lip happy. After a couple or three years I raised it up about half an inch and it still handles great. I'm also running RWD and made the change about a year after installing the KW's. I also have an adjustable Eibart rear sway bar that helps eliminate front end push. (Understeer)

Old 08-31-2020, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
So I picked up at set of Eibach sways and installed them yesterday. I'm starting with them in the middle bolt hole front and rear and WOW. What a huge difference. Front end push is GONE, body roll is minimized and it no longer gets upset by a bump mid corner. Super impressed. Definitely going to stick with the H&R/Bilstein setup now that I have complimented it with the Eibach sway bars.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:09 AM
Bozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to all
If you don't want the car sitting to low, maybe go with H&R Sport Springs with 1" drop front and rear. This is the spring I am looking into as I only want 1" on mine.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:19 PM
Todd Snider is infamous around these parts
has anyone started with sway bars on stock suspension? I love the look of lowered but really want comfort too. This is the first Porsche my wife enjoys. Want to keep it that way.

Originally Posted by vogz
So I picked up at set of Eibach sways and installed them yesterday. I'm starting with them in the middle bolt hole front and rear and WOW. What a huge difference. Front end push is GONE, body roll is minimized and it no longer gets upset by a bump mid corner. Super impressed. Definitely going to stick with the H&R/Bilstein setup now that I have complimented it with the Eibach sway bars.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Bozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to allBozbomber is a name known to all
I am running stock spring, shocks and sway bar but with Tarett sway bar drop links, Torque Solution Camber Control Arm, Bushing and Toe Links and I feel the overall suspension is pretty stiff compare to my 300ZX TT with H&R spring + KYB shock + Stillen Sway Bar + upgraded bushing and Toe links.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:01 PM
you are thinking it’s stiffer than a completely stock suspension or are you saying the lowering components are actually a better ride than stock? Thx![

QUOTE=Bozbomber;4849696]I am running stock spring, shocks and sway bar but with Tarett sway bar drop links, Torque Solution Camber Control Arm, Bushing and Toe Links and I feel the overall suspension is pretty stiff compare to my 300ZX TT with H&R spring + KYB shock + Stillen Sway Bar + upgraded bushing and Toe links.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Stiffer on the rider compare to completely stock suspension.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:04 PM
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Todd Snider
has anyone started with sway bars on stock suspension? I love the look of lowered but really want comfort too. This is the first Porsche my wife enjoys. Want to keep it that way.
The H&R/Bilstien setup is stiffer than stock, but it doesn't compromise comfort. Stiffer doesn't have to mean uncomfortable. A high quality coilover setup with adjustable damping (like Ohlins R&T) has the potential to actually improve the ride vs stock but they are very expensive.

I personally like the ride of the H&R/Bilstein setup BETTER than the stock suspension. It's slightly stiffer, but has better damping, so the ride quality is actually pretty damn good.

Old 09-02-2020, 11:16 AM
I would agree that the H&R with B8 has a nice ride during normal highway cruising.. However when you do hit the big G-out transition going onto or off an over pass or something, it is definitely WAY more of a dramatic event. The stock suspension and ride height just has more travel to soak up these typed of things. When i installed the H&Rs on my 2002 with stock suspension and 60K miles the fender arches went from F @26.12 and R @26,12 to F @25,25 and R @25.25. Those after #s are both about .12 under the GT2 ride height. shimmed up to F @25,38 and R @25.5 to be just at GT2 height with a.12 of rake. I use fender height here but i verified all this off the subframe measurement points shown in the manual and i corrected for the GT2 rear subframe offset of 7 mm