996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

NEED MORE STRENGTH – Transmission Reinforcement and Custom Axles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
NEED MORE STRENGTH – Transmission Reinforcement and Custom Axles

First and foremost, I must yet again thank the members of this great forum for their invaluable input and introduction to new parts and modifications for my car. In particular, I want to thank VRAlex, TDK (aka Todd Knighton of Protomotive), CJV, Todd (EVOMS) and Q8 TwinTurbo.

While more power has always been the focus of my modifications, lately I have been placing more emphasis on reinforcing the various components of my car to withstand the additional power. I previously posted about extensive modifications to the internal engine components, much of which is designed to strengthen/reinforce the engine, as opposed to increasing power. I am also addressing the drivetrain.

I had initially planned to have RENNTech reinforce the transmission. Mercedes makes the Tiptronic for Porsche, and RENNTech reinforces the transmissions. However, RENNTech’s reinforcement is somewhat limited in scope (primarily additional clutches) and RENNTech states that its reinforced transmission is good for 600 hp. While I am confident that the RENNTech product is good for more than 600 hp (the OEM Tiptronic is good for more than 600 hp), I was unsure whether it would be sufficient for my power level. Gemballa and TTP also reinforce Tiptronics, but their programs are similar to RENNTech in scope and power handling.

In the “Need More Power” thread, Q8 TwinTurbo mentioned that 9ff recently introduced an upgrade for the Tiptronic. I followed up with 9ff and discovered that 9ff’s upgrade is FAR more extensive than that offered by anyone else. Among other things, 9ff replaces all of the gears with stronger alloy gears, installs more and stronger clutches, installs more and stronger friction plates, and utilizes a Mocal tranny oil cooler in conjunction with custom piping. 9ff states that their reinforced Tiptronic will handle over 850 hp. After several discussions, both by e-mail and telephone, I have hired 9ff to reinforce my tranny. 9ff will also be installing my new Quaife LSD. 9ff will be picking up the transmission and LSD tomorrow. They promise that the work will be done in eight days. Add shipping (by air) and I should have it back in two weeks – about the same time that my heads and new valves will be ready. Many thanks to Q8 TwinTurbo for his referral to 9ff.

VRAlex and Chad (I think) have both snapped rear axles on their cars. A Tiptronic admittedly does not place that same amount of stress on the axle that dropping the clutch at 6000 rpms does. On the other hand, VRAlex snapped at least one of his axles during hard shifting long after the launch. I do not generate VRAlex’s level of power, but I nevertheless felt that it would be wise to reinforce/upgrade my rear axle just in case. VRAlex spoke with me at length regarding his axle experiences, and made several inquires in order to locate a suitable axle for me. Many thanks Alex!!! Chad also spoke with me about the issue and supplied me with the name of the company that custom fabricated his units. Thank you Chad. Ultimately, Todd Knighton (Protomotive) stepped in (per Alex’s request). Even when it was determined that I could not use a GT3 Cup axle, and I had given up on the issue, Todd continued to research and investigate. Todd succeeded in locating a shop that specializes in making custom axles for race cars. This shop will be fabricating custom rear axles for me from scratch. The billet axles will be made out of stronger alloys, and will include a larger shaft diameter, larger CV joint diameter, and stronger outer stub flanges. They will be capable of handling 1200 hp, and they come with a one year unconditional warranty. Many thanks to Todd/Protomotive for both the axles and, equally important, for all your guidance and wisom with respect to several different issues!!

It will take the shop eight weeks to fabricate my new axles, and they will need an OEM axles as a template for the entire time. Needless to say, I am not interested in having my car down for eight weeks while the axles are being made. Therefore, I struck a deal with LA Dismantlers, whereby I am renting a used axle from them. They are shipping the axle to the shop and, upon completion of the new axles, it will be returned to LA Dismantlers. Meanwhile, Speed Gallery will install the new axles once they are finished.

Last, but definitely not least, I want to thank Todd from EVOMS. Todd is serving as the general contractor for this project and I happen to be a particular inquisitive customer. At every juncture, Todd has accommodated my evolving project, and provided his invaluable guidance and wisdom so as to steer me in the right direction. For every one decent idea that I come up with, Todd educates me as to why my nine other ideas are DOA. Many thanks Todd!

And so goes the current project!!! Power and strength . . . that is the goal.

Craig

Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
It gets better and better...

Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Kev
Kev is infamous around these parts
Craig,

These status reports are great!

All the best.

Last edited by Kev; 03-11-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Craig,

I can lend you a set of stock axles if you want. All I ask is you pay shipping. Let me know if you need them. I can have Rob at S Car Go ship tomorrow.

Last edited by cjv; 03-10-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Craig,

I can lend you a set of stock axles if you want. All I ask is you pay shipping. Let me know if you need them. I can have Rob at S Car Go ship tomorrow.
Thanks for the offer, but Tiptronic axles are different than 6speed axles.

Craig

Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
You are well and truly insane!

You are gonna be a lonely guy out searching for a Veyron to race!!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jamie
You are well and truly insane!

You are gonna be a lonely guy out searching for a Veyron to race!!
Ahhhh ........... forget it.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:35 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Craig,

You are truly going for the gusto! Congrats, I can't wait to hear about the finished project. Any idea the power level you will be at when all is said and done?

Old 03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
Craig,

You are truly going for the gusto! Congrats, I can't wait to hear about the finished project. Any idea the power level you will be at when all is said and done?
Only guesses Buddy. Mana's GT800 dynoed 730 rwhp. Given all my additional mods, head work, additional boost, etc. etc. I should be producing considerably more power.

I have heard conflicting stories as to whether I can dyno my car. Todd is going to try when everything is finished. We shall see.

Craig

Old 03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
cjv
Craig,

May I ask who is making the axles for you and what is it costing? Hope prices have come down.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Craig,

May I ask who is making the axles for you and what is it costing? Hope prices have come down.
Given that this is going through Protomotive, I do not feel comfortable disclosing their proprietary information.

Craig

Last edited by Craig; 03-10-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Craig
Given that that is going through Protomotive, I do not feel comfortable disclosing their proprietary information.
Well, Todd is such a post ***** around here, I'm sure he'll blurt it out soon enough.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Craig
Only guesses Buddy. Mana's GT800 dynoed 730 rwhp. Given all my additional mods, head work, additional boost, etc. etc. I should be producing considerably more power.

I have heard conflicting stories as to whether I can dyno my car. Todd is going to try when everything is finished. We shall see.

Craig
What ever happened to Mana?

Old 03-11-2006, 08:54 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
After you're done with these mods, you'll probably find a few weak links as well. It never ends.

Well and truely on the way to become one of the fastest turbos.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Craig, you'd better make sure 9FF gives you a full warranty. A friend of mine received his GT2 800HP engine upgrade from 9FF including "special" gearbox, and the third gear is screwed up, the engine does not run, they sent a tech here after 7 months of begging them to, and finally he has to send the car to them in Germany now. This is not a 9FF thread so I will stop here, just a watch out, nothing more.

The best gearbox builder in Europe and arguably the world is in the UK, his name is Ricardo, and any respectable tuner or race team will send the gearboxes there for upgrades. He builds them for most of the F1 teams, WRC rallye teams, Porsche teams etc.. He is also pioneer in sequential gearboxes, so you might want to check him out. His gearboxes are undestructible.

Last edited by Jean; 03-11-2006 at 01:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NEED MORE STRENGTH – Transmission Reinforcement and Custom Axles