996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

OEM Short Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 03:35 AM
DeeMan007 is infamous around these parts
OEM Short Shift Kit

Hey Guys,
Yesterday, I had a Porsche OEM short shift kit installed with EVO linkage and I'm wondering if the results were "normal". The distance was easily reduced by over 50%...it is REALLY short now. Also, I have to work to force the stick through the gears and it just doesn't feel smooth. I was expecting just a shorter throw, but didn't expect the throw to be so much more "forced" and tough to negiotiate through each gear....do you think it was installed incorrectly or is this the nature of the short shift kit? Would it loosen up significantly over time?

Old 03-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I can't speak for the porsches, but the several short shifters I have had (2 BMW 6 speeds) both were "Notchy" when I first installed them......they would "break in" after a while and get smoother......

Chris

Originally Posted by DeeMan007
Hey Guys,
Yesterday, I had a Porsche OEM short shift kit installed with EVO linkage and I'm wondering if the results were "normal". The distance was easily reduced by over 50%...it is REALLY short now. Also, I have to work to force the stick through the gears and it just doesn't feel smooth. I was expecting just a shorter throw, but didn't expect the throw to be so much more "forced" and tough to negiotiate through each gear....do you think it was installed incorrectly or is this the nature of the short shift kit? Would it loosen up significantly over time?

Old 03-11-2006, 10:03 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Mine may be different as I have just the B&M SSK, but I have never had any notchiness. Smooth as silk and just shorter throws. There are adjustments that can be made!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
I've B&M and also try the factory SSK. Both SSK will reduce the shift distance and make the shift feel frimer compare to stock. I found the factory SSK feel smoother that B&M.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
I thought the factory and the B&M were the same?

Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The only difference is the nylon bushings in the oem, metal in the BM ( and black vs blue paint of course). I have the oem ssk (had the BM too), shorter thows, not really notchy at all, just more precise.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 03-11-2006 at 11:46 AM.