996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 TT Engine + Transmission Removal : Sharing some DIY Best Practices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 11:05 PM
Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !Yves Is a GOD !
996 TT Engine + Transmission Removal : Sharing some DIY Best Practices

As indicated, I just lowered my engine + transmission. As usual this place has been an excellence source of information. In case it would benefit somebody, below is an approach which resulted in zero failures and no mess in my garage.

I used a combination of following DIYs :

1] https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...xperience.html
However, unlike these instructions, I did NOT:
- remove airco and powersteering pumps;
- remove any or the rear suspension
However, I DID remove the starter and the intercoolers. Since I already had the BBI clutch slave fix I did not have to mess with the accumulator. The latter may be an item you have to remove in order for the transmission to smoothly go down, but I'm not 100% sure.

2]
Excellent video, smart approach.

3] As said, I hardly had any 'coolant showers'. There were actually zero drips when I finally lowered my engine this afternoon, it was amazing. My approach was based on a DIY I wrote a couple of years ago. This one will allow you to remove 5 out of 6.5 gallons of coolant with minimal effort. It is important you do this before you start disconnecting all of the other coolant pipes, so make sure the system is nearly empty before you take those steps.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-coolant.html

I would also like to thank Bernard ("brnrdtns") for talking me through a couple of the preparation steps. This is a great community and I'm really thankful for all of your guidance and support.

What follows are a couple of pictures taken during the process and a small video. I was really nervous before I started lowering, afraid that I had forgotten to uncouple critical things, that the engine would get stuck on the way down....nothing. The thing just lowered like a breeze. A buddy came over to act as a spotter, but he just ended up taking video.

Equipment used :
  • 8,000 lbs 2-post lift
  • 1,000 lbs motorcycle lift (air compressor powered)
  • I built a special cradle out of plywood. On top of it were 2 supports (6" long X 4.6" high) filling up the small space next to the headers. As a result, the engine did not move at all when I removed the final 4 bolts (transmission and engine mounts). I had expected some kind of a drop or movement, but nothing... it just stayed in place in the cradle and I was able to lower it with the motorcycle life. Next I raised the car and voila, I can now start pinning the coolant pipes and change the clutch.
Hope this helps somebody.

Cradle : piece of plywood with cutouts for 1] the rear suspension arms and 2] access to the engine mount nuts. Supports : 6" long X 4.6" high

Fitting the lift and the cradle

View from the back. Notice the A/C and PS pumps

Lowering it...nervous moments

Done. Car is raised

Now the real work can start.

Lastly, here is a video of the rather uneventful lowering of the engine.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:45 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Glad you got it out OK. That is quite a nice setup.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:34 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Great post! Bookmarking for future use!

Old 01-24-2021, 03:22 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
I've made a similar cradle, it supports and balances well engine/transmission combo.
When dropping, I remove the AC compressor lines connected. While I have electric PS pump and GT2 style clutch slave, I don't need to worry about PS pump.
Nowadays I usually compress coolant lines so that radiators do not run empty.

Next drop will happen within few weeks...