996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Question about effect I had after cleaning MAF meter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
Question about effect I had after cleaning MAF meter.

I just cleaned it and I noticed the car is more responsive when I hit the gas. I noticed that at times when I push the gas hard now, the pull is like a freight train. However, sometimes its much slower. When it pulls well, I can hear a louder reving sound even when I let off the gas. Is that the turbos kicking on? Is there a way to always have that kind of pull without upgrading hp of course? Sorry if I sound retarded....I tried to explain it best I could.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by girthboy
I just cleaned it and I noticed the car is more responsive when I hit the gas. I noticed that at times when I push the gas hard now, the pull is like a freight train. However, sometimes its much slower. When it pulls well, I can hear a louder reving sound even when I let off the gas. Is that the turbos kicking on? Is there a way to always have that kind of pull without upgrading hp of course? Sorry if I sound retarded....I tried to explain it best I could.
The response that you are getting is a direct result of proper air/flow being metered in by the MAF. The "loud revving" could be a few things. Does it sound like a dentist's drill? If so, those are your turbos. If it sounds like the engine, then that could be extra fuel being burt off or perhaps an engine that is revving very easily.

A well-functioning MAF makes a HUGE improvement in the car's response vs one that is "dirty" so to speak.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:25 AM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Just cleaned my MAF yesterday, and noticed a better throttle response also. It seems from idle to about 2500 rpms, it is more smooth and linear feeling. This is my fourth cleaning of the MAF with the V-Flow, and the car runs so much better afterwards. Kinda like getting a fresh oil change.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 PM
Just-n-a996 is infamous around these parts
What are you guys using/doing to clean it??

Thanks,
Justin

Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Just-n-a996
What are you guys using/doing to clean it??

Thanks,
Justin

Old 03-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I have an extra one.. slightly used.... will sell cheap

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-14-2006, 03:55 PM
How often should it be cleaned to keep it running this nicely all the time?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Up On 3 Racing is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by girthboy
Something else to consider is how much boost are you making? The stock diverter valves are notorious for not holding boost and giving inconsistent power. Going to a set of billet diverter valves is an easy and fairly inexpensive fix.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Up On 3 Racing
Something else to consider is how much boost are you making? The stock diverter valves are notorious for not holding boost and giving inconsistent power. Going to a set of billet diverter valves is an easy and fairly inexpensive fix.
hmmm, thats interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. How much $$ is that roughly?

Old 03-15-2006, 06:41 PM
cleaner

Originally Posted by Ruiner
Thanks Ruiner!! Any special instructions while using this stuff?? Parts to hit it with, parts not to hit it with??

Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ruiner!! Any special instructions while using this stuff?? Parts to hit it with, parts not to hit it with??
The MAF and only the MAF. Undo the plug into the MAF. You will need a T-20 security torx bit to pull the two screws that hold it in. It will take 30 seconds to take out. Spray it down (perhaps a few times) and let it completely dry. Let it sit and dry for about 20-30 minutes and then install it back into the car. Clip the plug back onto the MAF and start the car.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:02 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I cleaned mine yesterday. No problems. The car has 16K mi on her (10K of those with an oiled filter). I did not notice any power increase but the car runs smoother at low rpm and does not threaten to die anymore when cold....

Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks again Ruiner!!! Very helpful, and very informative

Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks again Ruiner!!! Very helpful, and very informative
No problem. If the search function worked, I wrote a very detailed DIY for MAF cleaning a few months ago and posted it on this forum...

Old 03-17-2006, 07:02 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
the diverter valves are suprisingly inexpensive about $150 Baileys or EVO just had mine done before a DE. What is expensive is when you want to also do the turbo boost hoses. It is a good idea also to go to the silicone high pressure hoses as the factory rubber fail. five hoses to the diverters, turbos and intercooler $1350. Piece of mind priceless!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about effect I had after cleaning MAF meter.