996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

When is a turbo too big?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I have anti lag on my evo 8 via a standalone ecu
Now i know somewhat about stand alone, but could you explain some more how it allows you to spool up or have anti lag ??

Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by lithium
There are many ways to spool a big turbo(s), as mentioned before brake boosting and juice for one, but if you want to get advanced, 2-step, anti-lag and other such methods exist, most are built into a standalone like EMS. All work on the same basic principle;

miss spark, retards timing, add more fuel get the EGT's way up

and that spools the turbo under no load. You can build over 20psi at starting line even with GT40's.

good for a drag car - VERY hard on the turbo. you are basically causing miniature explosions to boost the turbo.

- chuck

Old 03-21-2006, 10:42 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
KA uses a programable nitrous system. It is designed to activate at WOT. In addition it has two rpm pills. The system needs WOT and 2600 rpm's to activate and the second pill starts the shutdown at 4400 rpm's. These pills can be changed. When the system activates it starts with a 10 hp shot and adds an additional 10 hp shot every tenth of a second for 2.5 seconds. As long as you are at WOT, the system shuts down in reverse order oce you exceed the upper limit pills rpm number.

Yes, the turbo's do boost extremely fast. The system is very smooth.

Last edited by cjv; 03-21-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:46 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cjv
KA uses a programable nitrous system. It is designed to activate at WOT. In addition it has two rpm pills. The system needs WOT and 2600 rpm's to activate and the second pill starts the shutdown at 4400 rpm's. These pills can be changed. When the system activates it starts with a 10 hp shot and adds an additional 10 hp shot every tenth of a second for 2.5 seconds. As long as you are at WOT, the system shuts down in reverse order oce you exceed the upper limit pills rpm number.

Yes, the turbo's do boost extremely fast. The system is very smooth.
Is the plan to spray everytime you drive the car? (or will you turn the Nitrous on and off from the cockpit as you see fit?)

Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned
lithium is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by carendt242
good for a drag car - VERY hard on the turbo. you are basically causing miniature explosions to boost the turbo.

- chuck
Chuck, its hard on the turbo as well as the manifold, downpipe, 02sensors, flanges, and even the exhaust valves. The EGT's go through the roof, yes you are causing combustion inside the exaust manifold more or less because of the retarded timing which allowes the valves to open on top of the stroke, and the rich effect dumps the unburnt fuel into the manifold, causing the effect. Hovewer, this has been going on for 30 years, Rally cars invented this, and still use it when allowed.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
Is the plan to spray everytime you drive the car? (or will you turn the Nitrous on and off from the cockpit as you see fit?)
The system has some safety built-in. The fuel pressure must be at a certain pressure at all times. There is an cabin electronic on/off system ready switch along with another switch that electronically opens or closes the tank valve.

Oh, almost forgot ............. the clutch must also be fully engauged for system to activate.

To answer your question, it can be activated at will from the drivers seat.

Last edited by cjv; 03-21-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Now i know somewhat about stand alone, but could you explain some more how it allows you to spool up or have anti lag ??
Stand alones have anti-lag parameters inside which the user can modify, this includes amount of retard (up to 40%), enritchment mix, and some other small things. Read my post above to understand how it works.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cjv
The system has some safety built-in. The fuel pressure must be at a certain pressure at all times. There is an cabin electronic on/off system ready switch along with another switch that electronically opens or closes the tank valve.
Chad, i am sure this has been posted somewhere, what engine management does KA run, i assume MOTEC?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Stand alones have anti-lag parameters inside which the user can modify, this includes amount of retard (up to 40%), enritchment mix, and some other small things. Read my post above to understand how it works.
Ahh i see, interesting man, thanks

Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 PM
cjv
Chad, i am sure this has been posted somewhere, what engine management does KA run, i assume MOTEC?
We are using a modified 996tt ECU. One of my requirements is the car has to pass the smog sniffer test. Without nitrous activation of course. We are running with Kats.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by cjv
We are using a modified 996tt ECU. One of my requirements is the car has to pass the smog sniffer test. Without nitrous activation of course. We are running with Kats.
cats? stcok ecu? With the budget of KA you could pay Magneti Marelli to write you a standalone! But seriosly, have you looked into motec and such? Its light years ahead of any "band aid" stock ecu piggyback. Once you get used to it, its amazing.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:25 PM
cjv
cats? stcok ecu? With the budget of KA you could pay Magneti Marelli to write you a standalone! But seriosly, have you looked into motec and such? Its light years ahead of any "band aid" stock ecu piggyback. Once you get used to it, its amazing.
Yes, we have looked into it. Trouble is, when they plug into the port the car would instantly fail.

I'm not too worried about the "band aid." Depending on the turbo's we settle on she will have anywhere between 1.0 and 1.5K hp. That is 962 race trim power.

PS.......... we are not piggybacking anything. We are not using vario timing, cams or actuators.

Last edited by cjv; 03-21-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by cjv
Yes, we have looked into it. Trouble is, when they plug into the port the car would instantly fail.

I'm not too worried about the "band aid." Depending on the turbo's we settle on she will have anywhere between 1.0 and 1.5K hp. That is 962 race trim power.

PS.......... we are not piggybacking anything. We are not using vario timing, cams or actuators.
Todd at Protomotive got the Motec to work on my car and the M600 has fly by wire as well as vario cam onboard. I love the way you abbr. 1.0 and 1.5K on the horsepower!!!

I like the approach that Robb is using on the cam set-up on KA!! I am going to have to take another look at my new motor build-up, since I want to run twin GT42R's on the 4.2.

Last edited by VRAlexander; 03-21-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:45 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Todd at Protomotive got the Motec to work on my car and the M600 has fly by wire as well as vario cam onboard. I love the way you abbr. 1.0 and 1.5K on the horsepower!!!

I like the approach that Robb is using on the cam set-up on KA!! I am going to have to take another look at my new motor build-up, since I want to run twin GT42R's on the 4.2.
Alexander,

I knew Todd tried Motec, however my understanding is you stayed with the modified Bosch ECU.

New motor for your tt. I'm surprised considering your 2200 lb GT40R turbo rocket. Now you really have me baffled.

Last edited by cjv; 03-21-2006 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv
...New motor for your tt. I'm surprised considering your 2200 lb GT40R turbo rocket. Now you really have me baffled.
Probably just trying to keep up with the Jones'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When is a turbo too big?