996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Would fitting the billet DV cure an intermittent boost problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:10 AM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Would fitting the billet DV cure an intermittent boost problem?

Dear All,

We are still experiencing intermittent boost problems with the R turbo. Basically, we are on the autobahn, middle of fourth gear, and then you nail it. 1.1 bar comes up and the car just flies, shift at redline to 5th, and then we only get 0.8 bar and the car is no longer screaming.

I think that perhaps the OEM ****ty bosch DV's cant hold the new boost after the shift and thus boost is being leaked?

However if we slow down again, and try it again 5th gear could be absolutely fine and show 1.1 bar. Its really annoying, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,
all the best
adam

Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
I had already changed my DV's to Bailey's before the Ruf conversion but I believe if the DV's are bad they will not maintain full boost. You should change them anway since they are a weak link and the cost is minimal but I think your problem is probably elsewhere. I assume when your accelerating through 4th. gear it holds 1.1 bar and only drops to .8 bar after you shift to 5th.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes thats correct about 5th gear, very sorry i didnt make that clearer in my post,

all the best
adam

Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Might also be the load on the wastgate. You might consider a spring change.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !Bruce Is a GOD !
So it's an intermittant problem. Maybe a vacuum hose isn't tight but doesn't leak all the time. I would call Ruf and get some suggestions from them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks guys

Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
What year is the car? It very well could be the DV's. I am surprised that Ruf did not change them when they did the conversion or if it is a RUf VIN, when they built it.
My Ruf conversion came with Bailey's. I do not know if the previous owner did it or if Ruf did when they performed the work. Best of luck with getting the beast healthy again..........

Old 03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
K24madness is infamous around these parts
Get those DV out of there and swap in some EVO units. Then check the wastegate accuctors. You can do this using a bicycle hand pump and a large vacumm gauge "t" together. The flappers should no move at anything below 8psi. Larger springs in the accuators will help. Then you can set them for 10-11 psi.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys, it is a 2003 Ruf "vin" car, has been to the naughty side of 200mph a lot times and i think it is time for a spruce up with the DV's, and will def. have a look at the wastegates,

all the best
adam

Old 03-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You might also check the boost hose connected to the DV. If they are leaking, your DV will actively leak boost.