996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Engine sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 10:36 AM
DaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud of
996 Turbo Engine sound

I realize this has gone around and around on-line, just looking for other opinions....

Mezger engine sound - I think the attached sounds 'normal' for a 50K turbo, 2003. I have an aftermarket exhaust so that is a bit louder.

The main reason for asking for opinions - the noise is louder that it used to be. I was unsure myself how much, but when my wife rode in the vehicle (probably first time in months), she noticed it louder right away. I think that I understand the noise gets louder around this mileage. I have no trouble codes and the car runs perfect. Only maintenance in recent months has been changing suspension to Bilsteins and new plugs/coils. I'm still running Mobile 1 0w40 as always but understand converting to 5w50 may reduce noise.

Thanks for any feedback!

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Metzger engine sound (2).mp3 (397.0 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:12 AM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
I've been running Rotella T6 5w-40, I've seen minor difference in engine noise over the years, and the different oil weights I've used. Nothing drastic. I do think that 0w-40 was probably the noisest. I will try and find time to record my engine noise for comparison.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LG3Q6LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LG3Q6LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited by JSBear; 12-28-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:11 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveSen
I realize this has gone around and around on-line, just looking for other opinions....

Mezger engine sound - I think the attached sounds 'normal' for a 50K turbo, 2003. I have an aftermarket exhaust so that is a bit louder.

The main reason for asking for opinions - the noise is louder that it used to be. I was unsure myself how much, but when my wife rode in the vehicle (probably first time in months), she noticed it louder right away. I think that I understand the noise gets louder around this mileage. I have no trouble codes and the car runs perfect. Only maintenance in recent months has been changing suspension to Bilsteins and new plugs/coils. I'm still running Mobile 1 0w40 as always but understand converting to 5w50 may reduce noise.

Thanks for any feedback!
i listened to your clip after reading of your concern and I have to say, that is not to my ears the "normal marbles in a can" sound that many - if not all? 996 turbo mezger's exhibit to one varying degree or another ( due to engine design ). something internally is amiss if i had to guess..

by comparison my current 96t has +/- 186K miles and I run M1 5/50 for many years now with religious conviction. in "heat" I always suspected that factory fill 0/40 was shearing and caused terrible momentary "screeching" upon startup in extreme summer ambient temps. you might also consider a 50/50 "blend" of M1 (or Castrol ) 5/40 and 5/50 which i also have used.

this was all but eliminated completely once i made the switch to "year round" M1 5/50. my 186k mezger literally "purrs" at idle. none of the well known "rattle" at all.

if i were you and if you'd accept some advice? I would swap to M1 5/50 ASAP and determine if that engine noise is mitigated at least reverts back to whatever you think was for your car once "normal". again, not to alarm you - but that audio clip is neither normal ( again to me ) nor would i continue any "hard" driving until you could get some more "hands on" advice and more experienced "ears" to assist.

because that motor noise you posted, were it from my car? would freak me out. GL w/ it - seriously.

Old 12-28-2022, 05:50 PM
DaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud ofDaveSen has much to be proud of
Sound

Thx for the offer to post comparison sound, and also the comments that this may not be normal. I've read many comments online and listened to numerous recordings. To my ears this sounds like the 'normal' recordings I've listened to, but this is obviously very subjective.
The sound inside the cabin is different than the sound I recorded outside the car near the engine. It was difficult to capture the sound inside because it's lower volume. Of course outside it is affected by exhaust noise which varies by aftermarket vendors.I don't want to minimize or ignore but I also don't want to go down the route of tearing into to the car for no reason. I've read many instances of guys rebuilding only to find the noise still there.
Maybe there is a way to isolate or compare the sound frequencies to have very specific comparison information?

Still looking for more comments and/or sound comparisons! Thanks again to the responses so far!

Old 12-28-2022, 08:47 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Was your sound clip on cold start, or after the engine reached operating temp?

Old 12-29-2022, 06:58 AM
Sound

I don't recall for sure if the recording was cold or hot. I'll do both again to see if there is any difference. Otherwise, this is my short term plan:
-Fill oil to the top mark and check 10w40
-Check under car for something loose. Possible noise from plug change/heat shields or locate source of extra noise
-Change oil to M1 5w50, checking crankcase magnet carefully, inside filter, send off oil for analysis (I have two previous analysis)

Would love to hear some other cars to compare....

Old 12-29-2022, 09:02 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
0/40 - 5/40 - or best 5/50.

you mentioned 10/40? which is not on the "approved" oli visc list. could be a typo? but 10/40 would not be optimal let alone recommended especially in colder weather temps. the 5/50 is ideal.

as to the "sound"? one persons "normal" vs...? ( i listened a 2nd time - that motor does NOT sound "normal"! )

perhaps as you say it's a subjective listen to an internet audio clip. not the same as "being there".

also i wasn't, nor would i suggest "tearing it open"! but will restate my suggestion to have other perhaps more experienced "ears" take an in person listen..

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 12-29-2022 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:20 AM
Sound

Yep - typo it’s 0w40. X50-thanks for your advise!!

Old 12-29-2022, 10:45 AM
Sound

I tested again cold and hot. The marble/gurgle Mezger sound is almost non-existent when cold, and sounds like the original recording when fully warmed (significantly more noise).
Less than 1500 miles on oil change a year ago.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:00 PM
Do you have a Durametric? I would verify no engine codes are being triggered, I would also take a look at actual values, and check your misfire count on all 6 cylinders.

Old 12-29-2022, 12:07 PM
Oil will see some degradation if the car is mostly in storage, I typically like to change a full synthetic every year, I rarely put more than 2-3k on my car year. More of a weekend car.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:33 PM
Sounds

JSB-No trouble codes currently. Mine is a garage queen also, only goes out on nice days!

Old 01-13-2023, 08:38 PM
Charliecat is infamous around these parts
Hi guys - new to the Forum! I have an 01 turbo coupe and an 05 turbo S cab, both manuals. 100k on the coupe and 88 on the cab.
Interested in the diagnosis! Exhaust sounds great…

Last edited by Charliecat; 01-13-2023 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:09 PM
SVTto2JZ is infamous around these parts
Seems like there are so many different sounding Mezgers out there.
Mine is extremely quiet when its warm, but at cold start there is an audible tick/knocking sound that drives me nuts. I have heard to not worry about it if its quiet when warm, so I just tune it out.

As others have said, I would get a fresh oil analysis and go from there. good luck!

Old 02-10-2023, 09:56 AM
I was on a wild goose chase. This ended up being bearing noise from a coolant pump. Diagnosed using a $7 Amazon stethoscope! Very apparent once I got the steth on that area of the engine. Now there is very little Mezger noise again - 48K miles. Hopefully this will help someone in the future. Thanks to all who who commented!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Engine sound