996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Humming whinning noise question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:11 AM
SR996 is infamous around these parts
Humming whinning noise question

Hows it going guys. I took my 996tt to the collection inwhich one of the car lines happen to be porsche. So Id figure they can do my warranty work. The problem I am having is a humming whinning noise upon acceleration and I wondered if this was a normal noise these engines make, I also had a squeaking noise at idle. They told me I needed a powersteering resovoir for the whinning noise and the idler pulley and belt needed to be changed for the squeaking noise. I pick up the car and everything sounds great. Thank god for warranty. Now two days after I turn my car on in the morning (it was a VERY humid night) and I get a consistent clacking noise coming from that pulley they changed, it actually got louder when I applied some gas, I drove off after the car warmed up it went away but its when I then noticed that the humming noise was still there. Is this a problem with the car, or would the humming noise be normal and the clacking noise be from condensation and humidity from the morning. I just hate having to go back to the dealer to get the same repairs done over and over and the funny part of it all is that I work as a service advisor as well for Hummer and Cadillac and I was wearing my work uniform when I dropped of the car and the advisor at the porsche dealer was trying to sell me a 30k and a brake flush when my car only had 9k miles on it. so to conclude what do you guys think ? Should I take it back for the humming/whinning noise and the new clacking noise, or should I forget about it and just consider them normal characteristics of the car ?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Old 03-25-2006, 11:48 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Wheel bearing needs to be replaces asap, it can be extremely dangerous. I had the same thing, the loudest humming as speed increased, i couldnt even think straight let alone even hear my exhaust with no cats, got it fixed and its so quiet now!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
willcoxmd is infamous around these partswillcoxmd is infamous around these parts
I had a similar whinning noise, rpm related. local Porsche dealer said it was an Idler pulley. They replaced it...noise gone...happy camper once again!

Old 03-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Wheel bearing noise isn't high pitched whining, its a lower rumble type noise (like excessive tire noise) that gives you a headache. I had my fronts changed a couple of months ago.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 AM
ritchieswimwear is infamous around these parts
Go to Champion

For too many reason to list, go to Champion Motors (ask for Luis in service) tell him Ritchie from Weston sent you.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I agree with Ritchie, take it to a reputable place and get it rechecked, you must be happy with the repair. I'm sure plenty of people are bringing there cars right back to you when something isnt right, so now its your turn!!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks guys for all the advise, I think I am giving the collection one last try only because my battery died and I had my car towed over I took the time to go on a drive with the tech/foreman to and they heard all the noises I was talking about. I dont think its a wheel bearing only beacause a wheel bearing would be more of a thumping noise. If they dont get it right I am definatley going to champion, thanks ritchie I will talk to luis if all else fails. Weston is right around the corner from my home how funny thanks again guys

Sam

Old 03-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Run from the Tech

If the tech is a guy from Jamica, run. They did some recall work when I first bought my car (used with 8,000 miles). Halfway home I heard a poping noise and turned back to the Collection with boost not feeling the same. The tech went for a ride with me and said everything was great. For 2 months I drove around thinking this car does not drive like it did before the warranty work. I was thinking I must be spoiled by the power and I thought it wasn't much faster than my 993. when I went back to Champion (where I always go for service (6 different 911's), they told me, one of my turbo hoses was off. I was riding around for months with a limp d*&k car. I had a great time buying my car from (The Collection) them, but thats it. Also the service advisor was a big B.S. artist and probably gave me my car without all the recall work done I will say all this happened right after Bob left a few years ago. I think he ran the Porsche service there for a long time. P.S. , when I had bearing trouble, it was a whinning noise that sounded like I needed new tires, not thumping, good luck over there (at least they have food and hot women) signed Ritchie

Old 04-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Collection dealership, Definatley NOT recommended

Well guys after a week of waiting for my car to be done the advisor calls me to tell me my car is done. It started with a come back for that loud whinning noise when I accelerate in neutral and through gears but it was more noticable at idle, and a new clacking noise upon cold start. I asked the advisor to please check the car after the repairs where completed only because I dont want to have to come back, he replied "yes, it has been done already everything is taken care of". I did mention I am a service advisor myself earlier, I work for cadillac and hummer in pembroke pines, so I would THINK that I would get a tad bit better treatment and the advisor would pay more attention to my car.

The headache started as soon as I got to the dealer. BOTH front floor matts where FULL of dirt and grease. So was the driver side door panel. I sarcastically said, do your techs work on tractors or $100 thousand dollar cars ? He laughed and said" let me get some one to clean it". I told him not to bother, I dont want them to clean anything. I turned on my car and the clacking noise was gone. As per ther tech the cause and correction to the whinning humming noise was my belt tensioner that need to get torqued down which was left loose. RIGHT.... The clacking noise was fixed (FOR NOW) I will know in the morning when I turn it on again. As soon as I left the dealer and the car warmed up....the whinning humming noise came back, so I was so pissed that I said F*ck it I am not even going back, but before I can even calm down to make a decision on wether I should turn around or not, I get on the highway and go a little pass 80 mph and my rear spoiler failure light comes on....

WOW !!! Was I mad ! I honestly feel like selling the car now. I didnt bother going back but I called the advisor and told him the story in a very upset tone of voice and he replies, I apologize let me talk to tech and I ll call you right back. YEA he never called me back. So I honestly think its better that he DOESNT call me cus I think I will blow up on him for such poor careless treatment. I understand that type of treatment towards an ignorant customer, but I was nothing but curtious, respectful, patient, and understanding, not once did I complain, or call him for anything.

By far the collection suks big *****, I even saw & heard how a porter was ragging on someones 996tt across the street hitting redline in first gear, so god only knows how many times they did it to mine. I honestly think that a dealership which such high car lines should be A LOT more proffesional and treat customers and there vehicles like their own. I would expect that from a honda dealer but the funny thing is that I worked for honda as an advisor as well and we treated our customers and there vehicle 100 times better than I was treated at the collection where ppl buy $ 100k PLUS exotic cars.

Well guys thanks for reading this far and if anyone would have any idea on what that whinning noise could be, please feel free to reply. Oh and Ritchie I definatley see me going to champion, hopefully I ll get better service there.

Thnks in advance

Old 04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
I hate to tell you, I -------------

Just got in from Europe and read your post. So, sorry. There is nothing worse (in cardom) than a turbo making strange sounds. Champion will fix it all, I am sure (they even corrected my whining noise and spent a full day searching for my last problem I had (ECU went bad). Good Luck, ritchie