996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do radar detectors really help? If so, which is a great model?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Ditto:
V1, I use it in my Porsche Only!

My 05 Pathfinder is too slow to require one.

Very Happy V1 owner--helps in "most" situations.

Marty K.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
Whistler Pro 73...yes it's no V1 but it has saved me a quiet a few times and I have been ticket free so yes radar detectors do help big time

Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
one thing to remember is, it's a tool, you can still get caught if careless

Old 03-30-2006, 02:18 PM
CarreraGtRacer is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
one thing to remember is, it's a tool, you can still get caught if careless
Totally agree. Nothing can replace your good ol' eyes

Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Virtigo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bitz49
do you guys know if Laser jammers are legal in Cali?
thx
I think jammers are illegal in all states. Because you are transmitting a raido signal without the proper license and with the intent of blocking someone else's signal. Big trouble if you are caught and if you are the only car around it's pretty obvious who is doing the jamming.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
immaculate is infamous around these parts
laser jammers are NOT legal in california (for sale, ownership AND/OR use). here is my source:

CA Vehicle Code
(Sec. 1, Ch 493.28150, effective January 1999)

Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 493, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
aaron

Old 03-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Virtigo
I think jammers are illegal in all states. Because you are transmitting a raido signal without the proper license and with the intent of blocking someone else's signal. Big trouble if you are caught and if you are the only car around it's pretty obvious who is doing the jamming.
RADAR jammers are illegal in all states. Laser jammers, however, are not. only illegal in Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington DC.

aaron

Old 03-30-2006, 03:21 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Anyone have experience with one of these?

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by paneraiwatches
Anyone have experience with one of these?
no personal experience, but the guys on the radardetector.net forums seem to like it!

aaron

Last edited by immaculate; 03-30-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
VRAlexander
There is only one answer to Police Radar.....and it works (trust me on that one)... it called the Scorpion (active radar jammer)...
http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...iveRadarJammer

As for detectors...The V1 is the best in my opinion. Every time a new detecror comes to marker, I purchase it and test the unit. To this day, the V1 is the best radar detector technology has to offer! I own 12 units (one for each toy along with an active unit next to it ) and have not found a reason to switch...

Old 04-01-2006, 04:15 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
I have a question.....If you have the V1 hanging from your windshield and a cop pulls you over for whatever reason and sees your radar detector in plain view, wouldnt he just get even more agitated and possibly write you up for something else....perhaps tinted windows, no front plate....anything that he may have passed on or even let you go with a warning had he not seen the radar detector? Kind of like mocking the cop?

Even if you just pull up next to a cop and he sees this thing hanging next to your windshield, isnt that grounds for eyeing over your car so he stops you for something, anything?

Last edited by girthboy; 04-01-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by girthboy
I have a question.....If you have the V1 hanging from your windshield and a cop pulls you over for whatever reason and sees your radar detector in plain view, wouldnt he just get even more agitated and possibly write you up for something else....perhaps tinted windows, no front plate....anything that he may have passed on or even let you go with a warning had he not seen the radar detector? Kind of like mocking the cop?

Even if you just pull up next to a cop and he sees this thing hanging next to your windshield, isnt that grounds for eyeing over your car so he stops you for something, anything?
There are many ways to mount or custom mount. On all my cars I use no suction cups.......and the head unit is not visable to either the walk-up or the view from behind.........remote is dead ahead but down in the cluster.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
well I just received my Valentine 1. But I now read in the manual that it shouldnt be mounted where windows are tinted. Mine are heavily tinted....WTF? That was a little too late to find out.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:49 AM
bobbrock is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by immaculate
laser jammers are NOT legal in california (for sale, ownership AND/OR use). here is my source:

CA Vehicle Code
(Sec. 1, Ch 493.28150, effective January 1999)

aaron
This is why you must hit the off switch as soon as you are hit. The officer will think he missed you and shot again. It he still does not get a reading he will know you are using a jammer and then you are busted.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
First - Mike V should create a unit that doesn't look so 1985. Second Mike V should make an install unit so a person choosing a V1 doesn't have to have a bread box stuck to the wind shield.

Third - radar is so over sold. Using a little bit of brains and any radar detector is a big help.

Fourth - it's ALL about lazer jamming. Get a sweet Passport SR7: very good radar protection, it's built in, excellent lazer jamming.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do radar detectors really help? If so, which is a great model?