996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Do radar detectors really help? If so, which is a great model?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by girthboy
well I just received my Valentine 1. But I now read in the manual that it shouldnt be mounted where windows are tinted. Mine are heavily tinted....WTF? That was a little too late to find out.
My SR7 transponders are mounted in the grill

Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I do have the V1.... but the last two times I was pulled over on the highway... I was followed.... so the radar is no help... and I do not speed in residential/commercial areas.. where most cops hand out... so any radar is only as good as your eyes...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-07-2006, 03:53 AM
girthboy is infamous around these parts
hmm interesting. thanks Markski & Zippy

Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by girthboy
well I just received my Valentine 1. But I now read in the manual that it shouldnt be mounted where windows are tinted. Mine are heavily tinted....WTF? That was a little too late to find out.
Common now.......what does the manual say really?
What percent is tint you added?.....to your windshield?

Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
I didnt add the tint . I bought it that way. But it really dark. The manual says avoid putting it behind any tint band that some cars have on their front windshield. Problem is that my back window is extremely dark which I bought it that way & I like it that way too.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:32 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
All my cars have tinted glass....rear 35%.....no problem......front top (where I have mine mounted) also has heavy tint, not problem.

Looking at the PDF of the manual on-line I see it list specific Ford & GM solar tint films as well as the regular.....metalic grids, in glass wires, heaters, wipers, etc.......do you see a specific ref to normal tint?

Awhile back I had a discussion on tint with one of their people..........the example he gave was......if you are able to easily look throught the glass and see a traffic light change....no problem.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:05 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Why would anyone tint their front windshield?

Old 04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Nah.....he said he bought it that way.....so I'd assume he is refering to regular windshield (in glass) tint that even windshields have (unless ordered otherwise......& often there's the band across the top darker.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:14 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Why would anyone tint their front windshield?
Let's see....to reduce glare, to keep out the heat, to save your dask, etc (this especially applies for people like me who live in Vegas). I had tint on my windshield on both of my last 2 cars and plan on putting it on the TT. The key is to go LIGHT so you dont get busted because it would be a heavy ticket (ie obstruction of view).

Old 04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29
Let's see....to reduce glare, to keep out the heat, to save your dask, etc (this especially applies for people like me who live in Vegas). I had tint on my windshield on both of my last 2 cars and plan on putting it on the TT. The key is to go LIGHT so you dont get busted because it would be a heavy ticket (ie obstruction of view).

Hey no such concerns up here in Seattle

Old 04-07-2006, 06:47 PM
JR.
Banned
JR. is infamous around these parts
look at radar detectors like this:
it's night and the policeman has a flashlight, he can see pretty well up to about 50 feet. you, on the other hand can see the light of his flashlight from a much greater distance.. in other words, generally, you can see him BEFORE he sees you..
but remember, you are seeing his radar as he is shooting OTHER traffic.. as mentioned before, if you are the only traffic or the first traffic and he is smart and can see that you are possibly speeding, he will shoot you and only you, and in that case his weapon is instant and you are caught..

Old 04-07-2006, 06:51 PM
JR.
Banned
JR. is infamous around these parts
oh yea, i forgot, V1 is the only way to go. i don't drive any cars OR motorcycles without one.. buy mulitiple units, they are cheap insurance.. don't leave home without it..

Old 04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Valentine One. the one and only...

Old 04-07-2006, 07:05 PM
AIRjordan23 is infamous around these parts
had the v1 for a while now...saved me several times, plus gives me the peace of mind to cruise at 80-100...

just recently purchased a lidatek le30, but never got a chance to see if it works...

Until yesterday, when i was driving...in a 30mph zone..a cop was shooting me with laser...all i have to say is that the unit went off, i slowed down...and a few seconds later he shot me again.
basically proof of the first shot being jammed.

both the v1 and the lidatek le30, are great to prevent getting caught!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Well here's my windows.... a guy at the V1 technical number told me if its LIMO tint , the radar will be obstructed big time. I dont know if mine is considered limo tint. But it is pretty damn dark. As per the manual, the sides are not too important. But the front and back is.

Last edited by girthboy; 04-07-2006 at 09:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do radar detectors really help? If so, which is a great model?